By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: Why Sony won E3

Michael-5 said:

It's not a myth, it's just the way console manufacturers are. 2/3 of MS's biggest games this fall were announced at E3, or at Spike's 2010 GOTY Awards. That's less then a year. Dance Central 2, and Kinect Sports 2 are more of the same.

Microsoft doesn't announce projects as early as Sony. When has MS ever announced a game 5 years before release like Sony has with Killzone 2 and GT5? I'm pretty sure no one knew about Halo 3 when the 360 was initially released (but we all knew one was coming).

First of all, if you want to kill what you claim to be a myth, do some background searching.

• Lost Odyssey was announced only 1 year before release in Americas, (Japanese debut was 2 years before US release).  Lost Odyssey was annoucned at Microsoft's E305 press conference, and wasn't release until three years later in the US, in early 2008.
  • Banjo Kazooie was also only 1 year before release (it was actually absent from E3 2007, but was known to be in development, released in 2008)  This was announced at X06, over two years prior to release.
  • Killzone 2 was a 4years, my mistake.
  • GT5 was announced 5 years before launch, yes there was Prologue, but the full GT5 was still announced 5 years before launch.  This is incorrect.  GTHD was announced at E306, and released for free at the PS3's launch.  Gran Turismo 5: Prologue was specifically announced at E307, and released that year in Japan and in early 2008 in NA/EU.  The full Gran Turismo 5 wasn't unveiled until E309, jut prior to their other project, GT PSP, finally getting released.
  • Also Alan Wake was released in a shorter release period then GT5, but you are right there is 1 360 games with over a 2 year wait before announcement. (Alan Wake was announced at E3 2005, and released in Spring 2010. GT5 was announced at the same E3, but released in November 2010). Also Alan Wake wasn't confirmed exclusive until 2006.  As you can see, this point was refuted by the above information.  GTHD wasn't even announced until E306, let alone GT5: Prologue or the full GT5.

Now to populate the list of lengthy PS3 releases. Other then Killzone 2 and GT5

• FFXIII Versus (assuming it remains exclusive) was announced in 2006, that's already 5 years.  Not Sony's game.  Are they at fault for FFXIII, too?
  • Agent was announced in 2007, that's already 4 years.  K, this one is Sony's fault.  However, it was announced at E309.  SOE's The Agency was announced in 2007, and it has since been canceled. 
  • MGS4 was announced 3 years before release.  Not Sony's fault!  This was unveiled by Kojima himself via a tech demo at Konami's TGS05 booth, though there was a humorous teaser using MGS3 assets at Sony's E3 press conference that same year.
  • If The Last Guardian is released this fall, it will be at 2.5 years, but it will probably not release in 2011.
  • White Knight Chronicles was 2.5 years before release
  • White Knight Chronicles 2 will be 2 years if it comes out this fall.  Less than two years.  I twas announced at TGS 2009, and is already out in Europe and coming out in North America in August.  It's Japanese release was less than one year after its announcement.
  • God of War 3 was launched just under 2 years after release (However there was discussion about the game from creators as far back as 3 years)
  • Resistance 3 was announced 2 years before release  It was announced at GamesCom in August of last year, only one year before it's September 2011 release.  Where do you get these dates??
  • LittleBigPlanet 2 was almost 2 years  HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?  Seriously where do you get your dates from??  LBP2 was released a bit over two years after LBP1.  How could it have been announced right when LBP1 was released??  It was ACTUALLY announced in Edge Magazine in May 2010, less than a year before release.
  • LittleBigPlanet was 1.5 years before release
  • Tales of Xillia is 14 months for the Japan release Once again, not Sony's problem!  This is all Namco's doing.
  • However Uncharted's only get announced 1 year before release. Uncharted 2 was only 9 months, like you say
  • Demon's Souls was also only 1 year.
  • Resistance 2 was also just under 1 year before release.
  • Killzone 3 was the shortest release after debut, 9 months.

Some 360 games

• Too Human was in development since 1999, 9 years before launch, so you could count that, but development was only shifted to the 360 (from Gamecube, and from PS1) in 2005. So really that counts as 3 years. Still I found a second game for you.
  • Halo: Reach was the longest 1st party game, just over 2 years.  Nope.  It was announced at E309, putting it closer to 1.5 years.
  • Gears 3 was announced 2 years before release
  • Mass Effect 1 was announced 2 years before release
  • Infinite Undiscovery was 2 years
  • Fable 2 was 2 years  Fable 2 was 2.5 years.  It was announced at E306.
  • Halo 3 was just over a year, Halo 4 should be the same
  • Fable 3 was just over a year
  • Forza Motorsport 4 was announced 10 months before release
  • Mass Effect 2 was 10 months  Multiplatform.  Not Microsoft's doing.  Sheesh what's with you and third party games.
  • Tales of Vesperia was 9 months  Yet again, not really Microsoft's doing.  It was teased by Namco via websites long before we even knew the platform.
  • Gears 2 was announced 8 months before release
  • Halo CEA was announced 5 months before release
  • Forza Motorsport 3 was announced 4 months before release

As you see, 360 only has 3 games that were released over 2 years after announcement, and they were developed by third party studios, not originally planned to be 360 exclusive. Sony has 7 games with over a 2 year release.  I'm looking at 5 for Microsoft and 4 for Sony, based on the corrected dates and the exclusion of games Sony has no control over.  Add in games that took roughly two years to release, and those figures lean even more in Microsoft's favor. 

Wvwn then, that's not a big deal, but Sony has almost no games which were released in less then a year. Yea Uncharteds cut about 11 months, and Killzone 3 got 9, but nothing shorter. This is wrong.  As I said in my earlier post, and have reiterated with my above corrects, the following games have been released this generation within one year of their announcement:  MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Resistance 2, Resistance 3, LittleBigPlanet 2, Killzone 3, Uncharted 2, and (soon) Uncharted 3.  Infamous 2 is also right at the one year mark, while Socom 4 misses it by a mere month.  This E3, MS announced 3 games to be released by this Novemeber, a 5 month announcement-release Window.

This isn't a myth, MS often announces games just before launch (I have 6 larger games with under 1 year announcements), and Sony has a history of announcing games generally 2 years or earlier before launch (with some exceptions like Uncharted).

YES you are right, there are exceptions. Sometimes MS announces a game 2 years before launch, but it's not common. Sony still has games releasing which have been in development for 3-4 years. Never does Sony announce a game less then 6 months before release, MS does this to at least 1 major franchise, almost every year. Sorry bro, this is no Myth, this is what Sony and MS do. This is one reason why E3 bummed me out for PS3, after this fall, what do we have? I really hope Sony does a late announcement for something, or finally releases Agent.

Normally I wouldn't make a big deal about this, but half your dates are blatantly wrong.  It's like you're making up whatever facts you need to support your initial statement.

Also, why is Sony at fault for Square and Konami announcing Versus XIII and MGS4 years before release?  Were they also at fault for FFXIII, despite it going multiplat?  Can we blame Microsoft for announcing MGS: Rising with nothing more than a teaser image three years before release?

Anywho, I've corrected the dates in your post.

Around the Network
slowmo said:

Final Fantasy XIII Versus

There will be others but Sony has aggressively announced games well ahead of their competition this generation, it's not a myth just a difference in strategy they used when sales were comparatively poor.  They used early announcements as a tool to build hype for their console and to try and boost sales.  I think by and large they stopped the practice due to the long term hype actually having a negative effect on first week sales as people lost some of their excitment about products when they're forced to wait over a year.  If you announce and launch a title with 6 months the hype is instant and it's easy to build good PR and keep it at the fore front of peoples minds.

As for the thread at hand, Sony produced arguably the least sucky conference so deserve the title.

Once again, how is Sony responsible for Versus XIII?  Even if that did make sense (which it doesn't), would that not also make them responsible for FFXIII?   Following that logic, wouldn't Microsoft then be responsible for Rising?  It was announced two years ago with no release date in sight.

As for the rest of your post, see my above post.  The dates simply don't back up your claims.

Sony were at E3, i must of missed that with Microsoft running over them, and that thing from Nintendo i can't recall the name of!

scottie said:

2) My main point was that because IGN would not admit that Nintendo won E3 regardless of how obvious it was. I don't blame them for this, they've spent years gathering an audience for their site

You sound like a conspiracy theorist.

Kinda disagree with IGN here. The one with the most new announcements wins for me.

Nintendo:
Luigi's Mansion 2
Tekken 3D
Tekken Wii U
Zelda Four Swords DSi
Smash Bros. Wii U
Smash Bros. 3D
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Wii U
Gold Zelda Wii Remote

Sony:
Sly 4
PS Vita $250
Street Fighter X Tekken Vita
That Si-fi mmo that looks like an fps (don't know what it's called)
That vita game that connects to the PS3 (don't know what that's called either XP)
And some PS move game (looks kinda lame tbh)

So yeah Nintendo win but just by a bit. If they showed a trailer for Smash Bros then yeah they definitely would have won by a mile.

Around the Network

lol man oh man...makingmusic is doing some epic pwnage in here!

hats off

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Congrats.

...now what?

RCTjunkie said:
Congrats.

...now what?

Now we enjoy awesome games =D

Making Music taking it to the hole

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

LOL @makingmusic done epic pwned in this thread.