By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto on Wii U hardware capabilities

Dodece said:
I think people are taking my last paragraph too seriously. I was highlighting the fact that Nintendo is entrenched in a comfort zone, and isn't likely to leave that comfort zone. While not all core games need be mature. You do have to have some mature games. Frankly it is getting a little bit insulting that Nintendo wants to treat all the owners of their consoles like they are both perpetually eight, and live in some insipid utopia.

This is what people mean when they label Nintendo as Kiddie. The company suffers from a pervasive cuteness that eventually begins to flat line brain function. Here is something worth thinking about. A lot of gamers label the 360 as a hardcore console, and in many ways that is what it does. However Microsoft doesn't just stay in that comfort zone. We have seen a lot of cute and fuzzy games come out of Microsoft this generation. Games like Kameo, Viva Pinata, Kinectimals, and a couple others. The same holds true for Sony as well.

Which begs the question how can Microsoft for examples sake pitch both Gears of War and Viva Pinata. The point is this they aren't mutually exclusive. So why does Nintendo behave as if all their games must be E for Everybody What was Metroid rated T for Teen. That was their olive branch. Help me out guys I am not finding any Nintendo first party games that are rated mature, and damned if I haven't been looking.

I know I am going to get the canned answer that a game doesn't have to be mature to be good. You know what I am a adult, and while I do not need a shower of blood and decapitations. I am not tolerant at all of the idea that I cannot have things like romance, dialogue, moral dilemmas, and honest language. What exactly is wrong with just wanting some cerebral stimulation. The world has changed, and the industry has changed, but Nintendo doesn't seem to have changed.

its insalting that people like you think that nintendo a developer NEEDS to make games that have blood and boobs

they are not keeping other companies from releasing those games on their system.  Nintendo makes certain types of games, that is what theyd o.  If you don't find them "Hardcore" that is your problem.  They aren't going to suddenly add blood to mario or zelda to make them "hardcore"  and i dont' see how adding blood to them would make them hardcore.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Dodece said:
I think people are taking my last paragraph too seriously. I was highlighting the fact that Nintendo is entrenched in a comfort zone, and isn't likely to leave that comfort zone. While not all core games need be mature. You do have to have some mature games. Frankly it is getting a little bit insulting that Nintendo wants to treat all the owners of their consoles like they are both perpetually eight, and live in some insipid utopia.

This is what people mean when they label Nintendo as Kiddie. The company suffers from a pervasive cuteness that eventually begins to flat line brain function. Here is something worth thinking about. A lot of gamers label the 360 as a hardcore console, and in many ways that is what it does. However Microsoft doesn't just stay in that comfort zone. We have seen a lot of cute and fuzzy games come out of Microsoft this generation. Games like Kameo, Viva Pinata, Kinectimals, and a couple others. The same holds true for Sony as well.

Which begs the question how can Microsoft for examples sake pitch both Gears of War and Viva Pinata. The point is this they aren't mutually exclusive. So why does Nintendo behave as if all their games must be E for Everybody What was Metroid rated T for Teen. That was their olive branch. Help me out guys I am not finding any Nintendo first party games that are rated mature, and damned if I haven't been looking.

I know I am going to get the canned answer that a game doesn't have to be mature to be good. You know what I am a adult, and while I do not need a shower of blood and decapitations. I am not tolerant at all of the idea that I cannot have things like romance, dialogue, moral dilemmas, and honest language. What exactly is wrong with just wanting some cerebral stimulation. The world has changed, and the industry has changed, but Nintendo doesn't seem to have changed.

its insalting that people like you think that nintendo a developer NEEDS to make games that have blood and boobs

they are not keeping other companies from releasing those games on their system.  Nintendo makes certain types of games, that is what theyd o.  If you don't find them "Hardcore" that is your problem.  They aren't going to suddenly add blood to mario or zelda to make them "hardcore"  and i dont' see how adding blood to them would make them hardcore.

You didn't even read his post, did you? He just said he wanted "romance, dialogue, moral dilemmas, and honest language". Nowhere does he mention boobs, and he only mentions blood where he says he doesn't need it, nor does he say that Mario and Zelda need to have such things.

The fact is, Nintendo has no IPs that cater to the more mature end of the gamer spectrum who don't have a particular attachment to Mario or Zelda and those people will continue to go to PS3 and Xbox360 for their fix, especially since 3rd parties can't be depended upon for exclusive content. That is Nintendo's problem if they are attempting to woo back the "hardcore" audience.

Currently playing: Gran Turismo 5
Just finished:
Infamous 2

Damm. You guys realize in almost every single thread you guys talk about the same shit over and over in different ways...just wow.

spiffiness says: "The fact is, Nintendo has no IPs that cater to the more mature end of the gamer spectrum who don't have a particular attachment to Mario or Zelda ."

Sony PRIMARY Focus: Hardcore Audience
Sony SECONDARY Focus: Casual Audience

Microsoft PRIMARY Focus Hardcore Audience
Microsoft SECONDARY Focus: Casual Audience

Nintendo PRIMARY focus: Casual = Everyone Audience
Nintendo Secondary focus: Hardcore Audience

--Nintendo will have IP's targeting, "EVERYONE AUDIENCE." - It works and makes MONEY. You got It???? MIYAMOTO and IWATA has stated that shit countless of times.

--Nintendo will have 3RD PARTIES targeting the HARDCORE audience.

****Nintendo knows that their IP formula is a cash cow. Name a hardcore title that sold more than Mario Kart? or Wii Sport resort. Nintendo KNOWS what sells. Why should Nintendo target the audience with a new IP when clearly Microsoft and Sony are clashing each other for Hardcore audience already?

Come on people cut Nintendo some slack. We know that WiiU will be more powerful then any current gen system. Now those saying Microsoft and Sony will launch a super power and whipe WiiU off the map. I just had that convo with a Sony fan I expected him to tell me that Sony would whipe Nintendo off the map. Instead he started saying that PS3 would be out till 2016, he argued that Sony's PS3 was built to last ten years and that a drastic improvement in hardware is illogical in the near future.

I argued that BattleField3 and Crysis (origional) were already using hardware power to powerful for current consoles. Then he pointed out an interview with THQ. The interviewy stated that if Microsoft and Sony were to launch truely next gen software as much of a leap as usual then software dev costs would go through the roof and software would cost at least 100$ at retail.

So will Sony and Microsoft release new uber powerful machines soon? I think they will, but some don't. He pointed out Kinect is selling very well and Microsoft has no reason to replace X-Box 360 anytime soon. He's sort of right unless WiiU slaughters the PS3 and 360 Microsoft and Sony will not be in any drastic rush to release new hardware.

So Miyamoto says Nintendo has caught up, from all the rumoured specs and developers interviews in can be assumed that WiiU is way more powerful then PS3. Also Nintendo is setting the bar for the next generation, will Sony and Microsoft release two super expensive super powerful machines? Or will they launch consoles closer in power to WiiU and turn a healthier profit.

Their is alot of uncertainty when it comes to Sony and MS's next consoles. But Nintendo has definatly brought us a truly next generation experiance!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

KeptoKnight said:
Damm. You guys realize in almost every single thread you guys talk about the same shit over and over in different ways...just wow.

spiffiness says: "The fact is, Nintendo has no IPs that cater to the more mature end of the gamer spectrum who don't have a particular attachment to Mario or Zelda ."

Sony PRIMARY Focus: Hardcore Audience
Sony SECONDARY Focus: Casual Audience

Microsoft PRIMARY Focus Hardcore Audience
Microsoft SECONDARY Focus: Casual Audience

Nintendo PRIMARY focus: Casual = Everyone Audience
Nintendo Secondary focus: Hardcore Audience

--Nintendo will have IP's targeting, "EVERYONE AUDIENCE." - It works and makes MONEY. You got It???? MIYAMOTO and IWATA has stated that shit countless of times.

--Nintendo will have 3RD PARTIES targeting the HARDCORE audience.

****Nintendo knows that their IP formula is a cash cow. Name a hardcore title that sold more than Mario Kart? or Wii Sport resort. Nintendo KNOWS what sells. Why should Nintendo target the audience with a new IP when clearly Microsoft and Sony are clashing each other for Hardcore audience already?

Doesn't make my statement any less true. There is still no reason for someone looking for mature stories and experiences to pick up a Wii U. And that hardcore audience is the one who keeps buying games and supporting 3rd party offerings. If they have that already on PS360, why would they bother getting a new console without exclusives they are interested in? That 3rd party support seems to be a big push for their new console, but there needs to be a draw for that audience first. Otherwise it'll be the same scenario: The fans (admittedly there are a lot of them) buying the Nintendo software, few buying anything else (particularly when they already have a community on xboxlive or psn) and 3rd party support drops. Then people complain when there's nothing new coming out because Nintendo can't keep up with software demands. Besides, the people who bought wii for wii sports resort are likely going to think twice about getting a new console after their wii has been sitting gathering dust for months on end.

Currently playing: Gran Turismo 5
Just finished:
Infamous 2

Around the Network

Dodece said:

If you want mature stories the last place you'll find them is in a videogame. You don't even find them in a film these days (well maybe a foreign film).

Maybe Zelda should be more like other games, but then there wouldn't be a Zelda anymore, and it wouldn't be original.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

spiffiness said:

Doesn't make my statement any less true. There is still no reason for someone looking for mature stories and experiences to pick up a Wii U. And that hardcore audience is the one who keeps buying games and supporting 3rd party offerings. If they have that already on PS360, why would they bother getting a new console without exclusives they are interested in? That 3rd party support seems to be a big push for their new console, but there needs to be a draw for that audience first. Otherwise it'll be the same scenario: The fans (admittedly there are a lot of them) buying the Nintendo software, few buying anything else (particularly when they already have a community on xboxlive or psn) and 3rd party support drops. Then people complain when there's nothing new coming out because Nintendo can't keep up with software demands. Besides, the people who bought wii for wii sports resort are likely going to think twice about getting a new console after their wii has been sitting gathering dust for months on end.

You have no idea what games are gonna be on WiiU.  If you don't think Nintendo will have what you're looking for fine.  Nobody cares.  Feel free to play your system of choice.  But it shouldn't bother you that people are excited for the WiiU - cause I think that's the real issue behind all these comments you're making. 

It makes a lot of sense to make a console that is better than ps360 but only slightly. A console like this would get exclusive versions of many multi-plat current titles, would be cheaper to develop for than next-gen ps540, and the graphics levels are currently already so high up there that it is going to take exponentially better hardware to increase graphics level linearly.
In theory, I understand.

Ok, this is the information that I have gathered. Reggie has stated that the Wii-U will run at 1080P. To test the waters IGN has built something somewhat similar to the Wii-U and has stated that it was running at 1080P. That lets me know that it's not just a PS3/Xbox360 but already more powerful. Its been said that most PS3/Xbox360 games run at 720P if that. Now how much more powerful Nintendo's console will be I'll wait and see for now.

theprof00 said:
It makes a lot of sense to make a console that is better than ps360 but only slightly. A console like this would get exclusive versions of many multi-plat current titles, would be cheaper to develop for than next-gen ps540, and the graphics levels are currently already so high up there that it is going to take exponentially better hardware to increase graphics level linearly.
In theory, I understand.

Right. If anything the ps540 graphics are going to be better, but in a PC-game-settings kind of way, and not in a "Wii -> PS360" kind of way, and that's more or less a matter of diminishing returns. As happysquirrel pointed out, Wii U may very well hit the threshold of polygons that can be visibly displayed at 1080p, and once you hit that point, it's all about tertiary features: lighting, texturing, and sundry effects, which can certainly make more meaningful visions, but don't fundamentally change graphics design as much

Of course, ps540 will likely vastly outstrip Wii U in terms of RAM, but again diminishing returns come into play from a game design standpoint...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.