By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto on Wii U hardware capabilities

To be honest, I don't think Miyamoto is the best person to talk about the hardware. He has always been a designer not a programmer or an engineer. Also, it's from gamecube days that he's not directly involved in the development of games anymore, from what I read he is more like a supervisor now; from early gamecube days to today the hardware has become really different.

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
Quote: Nintendo’s new HD console marks company’s first attempt to cater to the more hardcore audience

People gaming since 2007 shouldn't write articles about gaming. Period.

Or there should be a banner next to their name explaining what's their background when it comes to videogames.

I apologize for the misleading title. It has been changed now.

Nintendo is learning their lesson, but drawing the wrong conclusion. They are not actually addressing their core problem. Pun entirely intentional. Instead they are hoping that others will solve their problem for them. They hope that third parties will be enough to satisfy the gamers that Nintendo disinherited early in this console generation. The problem is that Nintendo abandoned their supporters by refusing to provide exclusive content that addressed their needs. This seems to be nothing more then a dodge.

This launch window for Nintendo is going to be a narrow one. Nintendo has addressed the third party, but I am just not seeing them address the first party, or having a robust second party strategy. What chased away the core and the hardcore gamers this generation was the lack of first party support. Nintendo didn't offer up enough exclusive titles to feed that segment. Primarily due to the fact that Nintendo software development was profiting exclusively on the casual titles. Really it wasn't hard to see why they were making huge bank on them.

Nintendo needs to do some unprecedented things. They need to acquire new studios. Build them or buy them. The fact is plain they cannot support both groups at the same time. Once that is done hand off those series that just see retreads every year or two. Give the core studios a new mission. Build the hardcore exclusives that the brand desperately needs. Nintendo simply cannot compete without matching titles. Those also have to be there on day one, and arrive regularly for that first year. It might actually be best to jam the channel.

The problem for Nintendo is they cannot divorce themselves from the notion that they can be both a developer, and a manufacturer equally. Being a manufacturer means your going to make sacrifices on the games front. Sony and Microsoft have to do this all the time to keep their libraries healthy. Both would love to just make properties that sell five or six million copies annually. However if they did that their consoles offerings would be entirely one dimensional. So they force themselves to go about plugging holes.

I just cannot see Nintendo changing their ways. I have seen them churn out the exact same software generation after generation. Perhaps it is a matter of narrow minded thinking, or perhaps they simply don't have the skills to actually offer up hardcore gaming. I know being hard on them, but let me put this question to you. Can you even imagine this without laughing your ass off.

Shigeru Miyamoto comes up on stage to unveil his new game. A survival horror game where zombies are running around ripping peoples heads off, and you will you trusty chain saw must save the world from this plague. Then he shows you the mechanic where you can use a flame thrower to make walls of fire to keep the zombies off of you. Yeah the thought made me laugh too.

IamAwsome said:
Lostplanet22 said:
BengaBenga said:
Quote: Nintendo’s new HD console marks company’s first attempt to cater to the more hardcore audience

So enlighten the non believers..When did Nintendo catered to the hardcore audience before?

?

I guess I have an different impression of catering then because Nintendo did hardly anything except funding/helping creating a very few games that mostly  were games the PS was known for.

The original Xbox now that was catering to the Hardcore to hardcore maybe for some.

Around the Network

Its very easy to know how powerful a system is on average. Look at its size: If its big, its probably a lot more powerful than small. This is usually due to heat production of better hardware.

Wii u is small so I don't really think it will have the potential of PS4/720. The wii was small too remember?

When PS4/720 release they will have extra-ordinary specs and tech-demos, blowing away Uncharted 3 type. The zelda tech-demo they showed was ok for this gen but under-whelming for the next-gen, when you compare it to other games like Uncharted, Gears, God of War.

And it was a tech demo as well, tech demos are supposed to look the best. If you think about it killzone 2 was showcased back in 2007 and that looked better than zelda tech demo.

I don't think wii u is that powerful at all. Maybe they will change the console design and make it more powerful.

padib said:
IamAwsome said:
Lostplanet22 said:
BengaBenga said:

So enlighten the non believers..When did Nintendo catered to the hardcore audience before?

?

Better Example:

Lostplanet22 said:
BengaBenga said:

I guess you never played NES or SNES or N64 games. Even the purple lunchbox has some stuff like REmake and Metroid Prime that's pretty hard to call casual.

mantlepiecek said:
Its very easy to know how powerful a system is on average. Look at its size: If its big, its probably a lot more powerful than small. This is usually due to heat production of better hardware.

Wii u is small so I don't really think it will have the potential of PS4/720. The wii was small too remember?

When PS4/720 release they will have extra-ordinary specs and tech-demos, blowing away Uncharted 3 type. The zelda tech-demo they showed was ok for this gen but under-whelming for the next-gen, when you compare it to other games like Uncharted, Gears, God of War.

And it was a tech demo as well, tech demos are supposed to look the best. If you think about it killzone 2 was showcased back in 2007 and that looked better than zelda tech demo.

I don't think wii u is that powerful at all. Maybe they will change the console design and make it more powerful.

The gamecube was also very small compared to the original Xbox and PS2, and it outperforms the first in a few tasks and the latter in most. It all depends on how efficiently it is designed, and how well the cooling system performs(in the case of the Gamecube it was great.) As for the PS720 having "extra-ordinary" specifications, unless they're released a few years from now, I doubt it. Both companies aren't interested in the expenses as much as they were in 2005/2006. I personally speculate that the difference will be comparable to what we saw with the Dreamcast --> Xbox at most and PS2 --> Xbox at least. Where the latter is significantly more powerful, but since the first sets a precedent by releasing earlier(PS2) most multiplatform games will be developed based off of the lowest factor(PS2/Wii U) opposed to that of the highest factor(Xbox/ One or both of the future consoles.) I think this generation will be comparable to the Dreamcast/PS2/GC/Xbox generation in one way or another rather than WIi/XBOX 360/PS3

Edit: Btw historically Zelda tech demos have looked WORSE than the actual games. This was the case for Majora's Mask/Oot vs Zelda 64 CD, Twilight Princess/WIndwaker vs Space World 2000, and the  2005 Zelda Twilight Princess vs  released Twilight Princess.

sc94597 said:
mantlepiecek said:

The gamecube was also very small compared to the original Xbox and PS2, and it outperforms the first in a few tasks and the latter in most. It all depends on how efficiently it is designed, and how well the cooling system performs(in the case of the Gamecube it was great.) As for the PS720 having "extra-ordinary" specifications, unless they're released a few years from now, I doubt it. Both companies aren't interested in the expenses as much as they were in 2005/2006. I personally speculate that the difference will be comparable to what we saw with the Dreamcast --> Xbox at most and PS2 --> Xbox at least. Where the latter is significantly more powerful, but since the first sets a precedent by releasing earlier(PS2) most multiplatform games will be developed based off of the lowest factor(PS2/Wii U) opposed to that of the highest factor(Xbox/ One or both of the future consoles.) I think this generation will be comparable to the Dreamcast/PS2/GC/Xbox generation in one way or another rather than WIi/XBOX 360/PS3

Edit: Btw historically Zelda tech demos have looked WORSE than the actual games. This was the case for Majora's Mask/Oot vs Zelda 64 CD, Twilight Princess/WIndwaker vs Space World 2000, and the  2005 Zelda Twilight Princess vs  released Twilight Princess.

quoting for truth, especially on the whole "Spaceworld 2000 -> eventual Twilight Princess" thing. Spaceworld demo was very barebones

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.