By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto on Wii U hardware capabilities

Dodece said:
I think people are taking my last paragraph too seriously. I was highlighting the fact that Nintendo is entrenched in a comfort zone, and isn't likely to leave that comfort zone. While not all core games need be mature. You do have to have some mature games. Frankly it is getting a little bit insulting that Nintendo wants to treat all the owners of their consoles like they are both perpetually eight, and live in some insipid utopia.

This is what people mean when they label Nintendo as Kiddie. The company suffers from a pervasive cuteness that eventually begins to flat line brain function. Here is something worth thinking about. A lot of gamers label the 360 as a hardcore console, and in many ways that is what it does. However Microsoft doesn't just stay in that comfort zone. We have seen a lot of cute and fuzzy games come out of Microsoft this generation. Games like Kameo, Viva Pinata, Kinectimals, and a couple others. The same holds true for Sony as well.

Which begs the question how can Microsoft for examples sake pitch both Gears of War and Viva Pinata. The point is this they aren't mutually exclusive. So why does Nintendo behave as if all their games must be E for Everybody What was Metroid rated T for Teen. That was their olive branch. Help me out guys I am not finding any Nintendo first party games that are rated mature, and damned if I haven't been looking.

I know I am going to get the canned answer that a game doesn't have to be mature to be good. You know what I am a adult, and while I do not need a shower of blood and decapitations. I am not tolerant at all of the idea that I cannot have things like romance, dialogue, moral dilemmas, and honest language. What exactly is wrong with just wanting some cerebral stimulation. The world has changed, and the industry has changed, but Nintendo doesn't seem to have changed.

I get what you are saying, but I found one big hole in your statement: the Gamecube. Last gen, Nintendo made Eternal Darkness, Geist, and made big contributions to MGS: The Twin Snakes. Those are all your typical "mature" games. There are also some games that fall in the middle like Metroid Prime, Zelda Twilight Princess, and Custom Robo. The problem? The "hardcore" audience didn't give a shit. I agree that Nintendo needs to change for the better, and get more mature, but to have made those games, means that they at least tried. Couple that with Resident Evil timed exclusivity, and mainstream support from people like EA, and I don't see how the hardcore didn't buy te Gamecube.

The Gamecube was as far as Nintendo went with the whole "cool" model, and had the Gamecube been a sucess with the hardcore crowd, the Wii would have likely followed the 360 and PS3.

Another thing, you implied that Nintendo should hype up Metroid, and some other franchises as "Teen" or even mature games. Nintendo doesn't hype Smash Bros, Metroid, and (to a lesser extent) Zelda up as "Rated E for everyone" games, but I highly doubt they will go out of their way to transform those franchises into mature ones. They didn't start that way, so Nintendo won't make them that way, espcially after the Gamecube fiasco.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
spiffiness said:

Doesn't make my statement any less true. There is still no reason for someone looking for mature stories and experiences to pick up a Wii U. And that hardcore audience is the one who keeps buying games and supporting 3rd party offerings. If they have that already on PS360, why would they bother getting a new console without exclusives they are interested in? That 3rd party support seems to be a big push for their new console, but there needs to be a draw for that audience first. Otherwise it'll be the same scenario: The fans (admittedly there are a lot of them) buying the Nintendo software, few buying anything else (particularly when they already have a community on xboxlive or psn) and 3rd party support drops. Then people complain when there's nothing new coming out because Nintendo can't keep up with software demands. Besides, the people who bought wii for wii sports resort are likely going to think twice about getting a new console after their wii has been sitting gathering dust for months on end.

You have no idea what games are gonna be on WiiU.  If you don't think Nintendo will have what you're looking for fine.  Nobody cares.  Feel free to play your system of choice.  But it shouldn't bother you that people are excited for the WiiU - cause I think that's the real issue behind all these comments you're making. 

You are totally wrong with your last statement. Good for you if you're excited, I couldn't care less. This is a discussion forum and I'm just stating what could be a potential weakness in Nintendo's strategy, there's no need to get all personal about it and I'm not trolling Nintendo. If they can manage to land some killer exclusive 3rd party games, then awesome, maybe I'll jump on board, too, but these days, exclusives are pretty rare. And why on earth wouldn't you want to see something new from Nintendo? 

Currently playing: Gran Turismo 5
Just finished:
Infamous 2

padib said:
spiffiness said:
irstupid said:
Dodece said:

its insalting that people like you think that nintendo a developer NEEDS to make games that have blood and boobs

they are not keeping other companies from releasing those games on their system.  Nintendo makes certain types of games, that is what theyd o.  If you don't find them "Hardcore" that is your problem.  They aren't going to suddenly add blood to mario or zelda to make them "hardcore"  and i dont' see how adding blood to them would make them hardcore.

You didn't even read his post, did you? He just said he wanted "romance, dialogue, moral dilemmas, and honest language". Nowhere does he mention boobs, and he only mentions blood where he says he doesn't need it, nor does he say that Mario and Zelda need to have such things.

The fact is, Nintendo has no IPs that cater to the more mature end of the gamer spectrum who don't have a particular attachment to Mario or Zelda and those people will continue to go to PS3 and Xbox360 for their fix, especially since 3rd parties can't be depended upon for exclusive content. That is Nintendo's problem if they are attempting to woo back the "hardcore" audience.

You probably didn't read the first post. There were no boobs, but there definitely was a chainsaw - same diff. I presonally agree with you, and said so in my first reply to Dodece. You guys are looking for 1st party Nintendo IPs with mature content. Why, well it's your taste, who can argue with that? If you find more on the PS3, then by all means get it there. Is Nintendo trying to cater to you, I believe so. Are they doing it in-house? Not yet.

Though I can't mention off the top of my head any mature-content games made by Ninty, I can mention a few 2nd-party games which Nintendo backed with money and design: Eternal Darkness, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark., Goldeneye 007 64.

Again, if you read my first reply, I very much agreed with Dodece. I just didn't agree with saying core = mature. Mature = mature, and core = core. They can cross, but they're not the same. It's as much a canned response than 2+2 = 4.

If you like mature, man by all means. But don't call it core unless it actually is core.

I did read the first post, and he retracted saying people were taking his example too literally. Actually I don't take mature as meaning violent or gory. I think mature can also mean deep, multifaceted characters; darker, complex stories; shades of gray and a visual style that reflects those things.

Yes, you are right, mature doesn't necessarily equal core, but as the gaming population is aging (the average age of gamers is 37! - http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp) there really should be more mature, core games.

It's really too bad they lost Rare, Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were great for their time.

Currently playing: Gran Turismo 5
Just finished:
Infamous 2

drkohler said:
irstupid said:

well you guys can interpret his comments however you want, whether you want ot think its stronger, almost as strong or same as 360/ps3.  but lets just get down to the dry bones

so IF god forbid this new console is ONLY as powerful as the ps3..

From an engineering point of view, we've heard/seen two rumours:

1) The CPU is a triple core IBM risk chip in 45nm, clocked over 3.5GHz. More memory in every system path than PS360.

2) The Wii U unit looks like a white box roughly the size of a custom Blu-ray drive on top of a 2.5inch hdbay (no depth info visible).

Points 1) and 2) contradict each other in a fundamental way.

If 1) is true, the unit will generate a lot, and I mean _A LOT_ more heat than a (non-slim) XBox360. There is no way all this heat can be dissipated in an enclosure shown as the Wii U unit (and if you owned an original XBox360, you know what happens...) Never shown in the pictures/ seen on the E3 show ground is the separate, big, ugly power brick required to power such a unit (and it is absolutely obvious there was such a brick in all those demo enclosures at the show).

If 2) is true, then the chips are clocked lower than a (non-slim) XBox360/PS3 (allowing for sufficient heat dissipation), making the Wii U unit almost perform on par with PS360 (due to more memory available). (Maybe the white Wii U unit shown is a complete mockup).

I agree, the brick will have to be huge, and I doubt it is internal like the PS3's. Although it could be, they can make power supplies incredibly small. The newest PS2 Slim model (Post 2009) has an internal power supply, and we know how small the PS2 slim is.

I doubt it's clocked at 3.5 GHz.