By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 Numbers don't add up!

Also lets assume the 5.38m for NA and .32m for Japan are correct (for year end 2006) the 2.64m for Other is way too low. 900k have been sold in UK, 150k have been sold In Aus Last Gen there were 6m Xbox's sold in Europe (2m in UK) so UK accounts for roughly 33% of sales 900 / 3 = 2.7m in Europe (+ 150k in AUS) = 2.85m But thats not all. last gen 2m were sold in Asia with 450k of that being in Japan (i think asia included 800k Aus sales) = 800k for the rest of Asia so japan accounts for another 33% of Asia = 320* 3 = 1m = 3.85m 360 has also launched in all new country's (india, china, korea) another 150k is viable from these so 4m for other is about right. 360 is at about 9.2 - 9.4m WW

Around the Network

THe X360 is selling very poorly in Europe .Aside from UK it is struggling .And in UK it is about 750 000 consoles sold .It is know the EU market is about 2.5 times UK .The big markets are only UK ,Germany ,France ,Spain and maybe Italy ,the others are just very small .The total amount for Europe cant be more than 2.2 million ...2.4 at best . My guesses are US : 4.5 million . Rest of NA ; 0.45 million Australia :0.15 . EU :2.3 million . Japan : 0.3 million Total sold : 7.7 million . And thats being too generous . Monty ,I know how it sounds that there are 3 million X360 in shops and warehouses.. but it is accepting that(or that microsoft is lying ) or substituting NPD and Media Create by you and your "common sense " guesses .So I will stick with official data thank you .

Not all this again. Monty, vgcharts figures for PS3 are spot on. They said 1.24m at the end of the year and that matches perfectly. 360 numbers are a little high - 4.5m NPD gives about 5m NA. VGCharts had it just over that. And stop with the 10.4m thing - no way that as many consoles have been sold outside of NA as within it. That is laughable. Korea / Mexico / China etc are not huge markets!! Wii numbers are too high, they had 1.73m for the end of Dec in NA vs around 1.2m in reality. As broshnat said in the NPD thread they projected over 1m in Dec just like everyone else so this is the source of error, so about 0.53m too high ~3.5m You are such an MS fanboy Monty!!

Not all this again. Monty, vgcharts figures for PS3 are spot on. They said 1.24m at the end of the year and that matches perfectly. 360 numbers are a little high - 4.5m NPD gives about 5m NA. VGCharts had it just over that. And stop with the 10.4m thing - no way that as many consoles have been sold outside of NA as within it. That is laughable. Korea / Mexico / China etc are not huge markets!! Wii numbers are too high, they had 1.73m for the end of Dec in NA vs around 1.2m in reality. As broshnat said in the NPD thread they projected over 1m in Dec just like everyone else so this is the source of error, so about 0.53m too high ~3.5m You are such an MS fanboy Monty!!

TheSource said: Monty, NPD data cited here says that these are the top selling games of 2006: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4525&Itemid=2 Top 10 videogames for 2006 overall (platform specific): The PS2 had five games in this category, the Xbox 360 had three and the DS claimed two. Madden NFL 07, PS2, EA—2.8 million New Super Mario Bros., DS, Nintendo—2 million Gears of War, Xbox 360, Microsoft—1.8 million Kingdom Hearts II, PS2, Square Enix—1.7 million Guitar Hero II, PS2, Activision—1.3 million Final Fantasy XII, PS2, Square Enix—1.3 million Brain Age: Train Your Brain, DS, Nintendo—1.1 million Madden NFL 07, Xbox 360, EA—1.1 million Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Xbox 360, Ubisoft—1 million NCAA Football 07, PS2, EA—1 million Microsoft has said 2.7 million copies of Gears of War sold (check out www.vgcharts.org...oh wait) It all comes down to timing, and whether the data is presented. But considering Gears sold 800 k in all of December, it seems unlikely (using logic) that the discrepency of 900k could be mostly accounted for in the 11 days of January since December ended. In other words, something has to give. Same is true for hardware sales.
Maybe I read that wrong but are you questioning the Gears of War number? Did you miss the part where it came out in more areas than the U.S. Allow me to show you a few charts. Keep in mind it came out in November most places and I'm obviously not counting Japan. It isn't out and wouldn't add much anyway. First let me add what we know is true. U.S. over 1.8 million Now the rest week ending Dec. 31 UK Top 40 all prices: 2 1 FIFA 07 EA CANADA EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS 3 2 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 6 KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT KONAMI KONAMI 1 3 NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON EA CANADA EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS 5 4 THE SIMS 2: PETS MAXIS EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 5 CALL OF DUTY 3 TREYARCH ACTIVISION ACTIVISION 6 6 WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2007 YUKE'S THQ THQ 9 7 GEARS OF WAR EPIC GAMES MICROSOFT MICROSOFT 20 8 CANIS CANEM EDIT ROCKSTAR VANCOUVER ROCKSTAR TAKE 2 8 9 DR KAWASHIMA'S BRAIN TRAINING NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO 12 10 CARS RAINBOW STUDIOS THQ THQ 13 11 GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES ROCKSTAR LEEDS ROCKSTAR TAKE 2 22 12 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 07 HEADGATE STUDIOS EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS 39 13 TOMB RAIDER: LEGEND CRYSTAL DYNAMICS EIDOS EIDOS 10 14 LEGO STAR WARS II: THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY TRAVELLER'S TALES LUCASARTS LUCASARTS 15 15 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO 18 16 GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES ROCKSTAR LEEDS ROCKSTAR TAKE 2 16 17 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS UBISOFT (MONTREAL) RED STORM UBISOFT 25 18 TONY HAWK'S PROJECT 8 SHABA ACTIVISION ACTIVISION 19 19 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2007 SPORTS INTERACTIVE SEGA SEGA 30 20 THE SIMS 2 MAXIS EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS 7 21 HAPPY FEET A2M MIDWAY MIDWAY 17 22 PROJECT GOTHAM RACING 3 BIZARRE CREATIONS MICROSOFT MICROSOFT 14 23 WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE: PARTY ED. CLIMAX EIDOS EIDOS - 24 THE SIMPSONS: HIT & RUN RADICAL ENTERTAINMENT PLATINUM VIVENDI GAMES 31 25 TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT UBISOFT (SHANGHAI) UBISOFT UBISOFT 27 26 BRATZ: FOREVER DIAMONDZ BARKING LIZARDS THQ THQ 37 27 BIG BRAIN ACADEMY NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO 24 28 ERAGON STORMFRONT STUDIOS SIERRA VIVENDI GAMES 28 29 XBOX 360 LIVE ARCADE UNPLUGGED MICROSOFT MICROSOFT MICROSOFT - 30 ANIMAL CROSSING: WILD WORLD NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO 21 31 FLUSHED AWAY MONKEY BAR GAMES D3P D3P 32 32 RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS UBISOFT UBISOFT UBISOFT - 33 ZOO TYCOON DS BLUE FANG THQ THQ 23 34 SCARFACE: THE WORLD IS YOURS RADICAL ENTERTAINMENT SIERRA VIVENDI GAMES 38 35 SONIC RIVALS BACKBONE SEGA SEGA - 36 SAINTS ROW VOLITION THQ THQ 26 37 SONIC RUSH SONIC TEAM SEGA SEGA - 38 JUST CAUSE AVALANCHE STUDIOS EIDOS EIDOS - 39 BUZZ! JUNIOR: JUNGLE PARTY MAGENTA SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT. - 40 LEGO STAR WARS TRAVELLER'S TALES PLATINUM TT GAMES Top 40 full prices: 2 1 FIFA 07 EA CANADA EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS 3 2 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 6 KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT KONAMI KONAMI 1 3 NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON EA CANADA EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS 5 4 THE SIMS 2: PETS MAXIS EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 5 CALL OF DUTY 3 TREYARCH ACTIVISION ACTIVISION 6 6 WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2007 YUKE'S THQ THQ 8 7 GEARS OF WAR EPIC GAMES MICROSOFT MICROSOFT 11 8 GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES ROCKSTAR LEEDS ROCKSTAR TAKE 2 18 9 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 07 HEADGATE STUDIOS EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS 9 10 LEGO STAR WARS II: THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY TRAVELLER'S TALES LUCASARTS LUCASARTS 12 11 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO 13 12 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS UBISOFT (MONTREAL) RED STORM UBISOFT 21 13 TONY HAWK'S PROJECT 8 SHABA ACTIVISION ACTIVISION 15 14 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2007 SPORTS INTERACTIVE SEGA SEGA 7 15 HAPPY FEET A2M MIDWAY MIDWAY 14 16 WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE: PARTY ED. CLIMAX EIDOS EIDOS 23 17 TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT UBISOFT (SHANGHAI) UBISOFT UBISOFT 22 18 BRATZ: FOREVER DIAMONDZ BARKING LIZARDS THQ THQ 20 19 ERAGON STORMFRONT STUDIOS SIERRA VIVENDI GAMES 31 20 ANIMAL CROSSING: WILD WORLD NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO 17 21 FLUSHED AWAY MONKEY BAR GAMES D3P D3P 24 22 RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS UBISOFT UBISOFT UBISOFT 19 23 SCARFACE: THE WORLD IS YOURS RADICAL ENTERTAINMENT SIERRA VIVENDI GAMES 27 24 SONIC RIVALS BACKBONE SEGA SEGA - 25 SAINTS ROW VOLITION THQ THQ 32 26 BUZZ! JUNIOR: JUNGLE PARTY MAGENTA SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT. 35 27 POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: BLUE RESCUE CHUNSOFT NINTENDO NINTENDO 34 28 CRICKET 07 HB STUDIOS EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS 33 29 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SONIC TEAM SEGA SEGA 10 30 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO 38 31 CARS HELIXE THQ THQ 26 32 RED STEEL UBISOFT UBISOFT UBISOFT 25 33 GUITAR HERO II HARMONIX REDOCTANE ACTIVISION 28 34 THE LEGEND OF SPYRO: A NEW BEGINNING KROME STUDIOS SIERRA VIVENDI GAMES - 35 TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: ADV WARFIGHTER UBISOFT RED STORM UBISOFT 37 36 SUPERMAN RETURNS EA TIBURON EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS 29 37 BUZZ! THE SPORTS QUIZ KUJU ENTERTAINMENT SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT. - 38 MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE RAVEN SOFTWARE ACTIVISION ACTIVISION - 39 DESTROY ALL HUMANS! 2 PANDEMIC STUDIOS THQ THQ - 40 VIVA PIÑATA RARE MICROSOFT MICROSOFT AUSTRALIA - Top 10 1. WWE Smaskdown vs. Raw 2007 2. Need for Speed: Carbon (PS2) 3. Cricket 2007 4. Gears of War 5. The Sims 2: Pets (PC) 6. Nintendogs: Dalmation & Friends 7. Guitar Hero II 8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) 9. New Super Mario Bros. 10. The Sims 2: Pets NEW ZEALAND - Top 10 1. Need for Speed: Carbon (PS2) 2. WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 3. Buzz: Junior Jungle Bundle 4. Gears of War 5. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories 6. Tekken: Dark Resurrection 7. Buzz: Junior Jungle 8. Buzz: The Sports Quiz Bundle 9. Need for Speed: Carbon (PSP) 10. SingStar Legends Bundle Australia game charts: January 1-7 Top 10 Full-Priced Games 1. Cricket 07, PS2 2. Need for Speed Carbon, PS2 3. The Sims 2: Pets, PC 4. WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2007, PS2 5. Gears of War, Xbox 360 6. Guitar Hero II bundle, PS2 7. Singstar Rocks! bundle, PS2 8. Nintendogs: Dalmatian and Friends, Nintendo DS 9. New Super Mario Bros., Nintendo DS 10. Crash Boom Bang, Nintendo DS How much of a stretch is it to think GoW has sold 2.7 million worldwide. Especially considering that it has been out since November and still on the charts most places.

Around the Network

As far as the hardware goes I do believe Wii is too high(I've thought this before NPD numbers were even released) and Xbox 360 is too low. I'd put them at 9-9.2 million and around 3-3.2 million for Wii. PS3 does look about right to me. I'm not going to argue about it though because I know it won't solve a thing.

Monty said: Your posts get funnier everytime I read them. Now you think NPD's number for the Wii is half a million off? After citing me page after page of NPD data, you now don't trust them when they don't give you the number *you* expected for your console of choice, the Wii? Yes... clearly you are not a fanboy. (that's sarcasm). As for the Xbox vs. Xbox 360 data, you can try to point to individual regions all you want, but as I proved it is WAY ahead of it in the WW arena. WAY ahead. Soon to be a full year ahead. There is no spin there... it's a cold hard fact. When doing numbers, don't let your bias cloud your judgment, and use some common sense. The LoZ sold just over 500k titles in December... meaning it's likely the NPD console number is correct. If the Wii moved 1.1 million units as you say, it's VERY likely LoZ would have moved a ton more copies. When the Xbox 360 debuted, Call of Duty 2 sold to 75% of everybody who had a console. I think it's logical to assume that the LoZ would do about the same numbers or better as it is the only good game on the Wii right now.
Wow Monty. You are so ignorant. 1) If Wii was my console of choice wouldn't I be arguing that the numbers on this site were correct, it should be 4 million? I was stating what NPD reported, which indicated the number was lower than the consensu. LMAO. You have the strangest thoughts. In fact, I think you possibly have a reading problem. I'm not sure, but I think you have a real comprehension problem. If I was a fanboy I would NOT have questioned the 4 million for Wii on this site, I would have said "4 million is right" as it is, I said Wii sales should be LOWER than what this site has. LMAO. You make absolutely no sense, I feel like I'm talkin to a 3rd grader. 2) According to NPD - Xbox 4.5 million US According to NPD - 360 - 4.6 million US You didn't prove anything, it's not cold hard fact. These numbers don't lie right here. If it is selling in almost the same pattern in the US it's not selling any different anywhere else. THOSE 2 NUMBERS ARE FACT. Not some number that M$ tells you they shipped. Sony has a "shipped" number of over 110 million for PS2, but have they really sold that many? I don't believe they have "sold" that many. But it's somewhere between what the console companies tell us is "shipped" and what's actually in consumers hands. I have no bias, I'm equally critical of all these companies. It's obvious to me you only support M$, I on the other hand continue to support all 3. I was actaully a little gald Wii didn't sell as much as I thought it would. I don't want them to take over and run away with this. I want a close outcome cause that ensures gamers the best experience.

Townzy said: This is in Responce to the Xbox Vs 360 WW sales 360 is even with xbox in America and Japan, but in Europe/Australia it is Way ahead the original xbox did not launch until March in these places, PS2 dominated Europe etc and xbox sales were very slow in Europe, however 360 has sold 900k in UK (Xbox has only sold 2m LTD), it has sold 150k in Australia (360 was fastest console to 100k here). so in other words it has made alot of ground outside of NA and Japan to be ahead WW.
It's actually selling less this gen in Japan, so what makes you believe it's doing better in (Asia, not austrilia) than last time? I also agree, it is doing better in Europe and Austrilia this time. But not by a wide margin. When they launched original box in Europe they lowered the price to 200 dollars in May 2002 and gave everyone refunds that purchased it at 300 in launch. Plus there was a much, much larger supply of original boxes available at Euro launch, as opposed to the very small amount available until April 2006, when they finally got production ramped up enough. Are they doing so much better...I think it is selling slightly better. That is evidenced by the fact that it outpaced original box in the US everymonth in 2006 except for 2. But it's not doing leaps and bounds better.

Townzy said: Also lets assume the 5.38m for NA and .32m for Japan are correct (for year end 2006) the 2.64m for Other is way too low. 900k have been sold in UK, 150k have been sold In Aus Last Gen there were 6m Xbox's sold in Europe (2m in UK) so UK accounts for roughly 33% of sales 900 / 3 = 2.7m in Europe (+ 150k in AUS) = 2.85m But thats not all. last gen 2m were sold in Asia with 450k of that being in Japan (i think asia included 800k Aus sales) = 800k for the rest of Asia so japan accounts for another 33% of Asia = 320* 3 = 1m = 3.85m 360 has also launched in all new country's (india, china, korea) another 150k is viable from these so 4m for other is about right. 360 is at about 9.2 - 9.4m WW
Your math is a little off. 1) XB sold 500,000 units in Japan as of January 1st, 2006. 2) You're going off what the manufacturer "sold" to retailers overall. (This would be the same for both Nintendo and Sony. They are not reporting how many are actaully counted as end users. There are PS2s a plenty sitting around in warehouses and retailers in the world. You really think they've "sold" 120 million to end users, cause that's what their shipping claims) 3) Japan 500,000, if Austrilia was 800,000, that would mean the remaining is 1.3 million. Japan accounts for 38% Then, not 33. I agree, that Europe is doing better this time. The uptake was about 35% of US sales last time, now I think it's closer to 40-45%. I think the number is a little higher than what's on the site, but not over 9 million. Until we get some official sales documentation for Europe for all of 2006.

I am from Europe and I dont think it is doing anything better than the original box (wich I own by the way ) .The original Xbox had a lackluster start and so Microsoft had to lower the price very fast (two times in 3-4 months in fact ) .The original price wasnt 300 but 500 euros ...about the same as the PS3 20 Gb right now .Once they dropped the price for the second time they started to sell failry well and outclassed the Cube to the third position .If you look at worldwide sales of the Xbox 1 it sold some 25-26 million units ...and 15 of them in NA ,and 0.5 in Japan ...that leaves the European market at 9 million Xbox sold .But it appeared here in 2002 ...and by end 2005 we already had the X360 here .Thats why nobody wants the X360 here ,most people are just upset with a company that releases 1 console for 3 years ...The X360 buyers are people who got tired of waiting for the PS3 and some hardcore gamers .But in its best market ,UK ,it has sold 770 K units .And it is well know the EU market is about 2.5 times the UK one (referring to videogames only of course ) ...UK alone amounts for 40% of the market ,with 20% in Germany and France ,7-8% of Spain and about the same Italy and the 6% remaining the other countries (much smaller and not overly populated ) . If Monty thinks a console that is selling LESS than the original Xbox everywhere (slighty less ) is doing very good let him alone .The reality will sooner or later catch up on him . I have seen the main page has changed the numbers slightly ....´c´mon the results for the X360 were off 400k units and you have changed them less than 100K and the Wii ones were off almost 700k and only changed 500k ...I dont have too many problems with this but at least try to balance the numbers with the ones of this month then .