By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 Numbers don't add up!

Stromprophet said: Jack said: That is funny how you have been pushing their 9+million number and never showed how the NA has sold more than 5 million. The Wii and the PS3 numbers are a little high but the 360 numbers are not at all to low. It is pure fantasy that you are living in if you are happy to live in a fantasy world be my guest. But that does not prove they are too low. I think the Wii numbers may be a lot higher than what they should be (maybe by 500k or so). According to NPD they only sold 1.1 million in US for 2006. Just under 1 million in Japan. No idea on Europe. But I bet it's less than Japan or US or close. 1 million let's say, so add in Canada at 10% and you get 3.2 million not 4. I think PS3 numbers are fairly close. 470k for Japan, 690k for US, plus Canada 70k more. 1.23 million.+ whatever sells have occured after NPD stopped recording figures for December.
Your posts get funnier everytime I read them. Now you think NPD's number for the Wii is half a million off? After citing me page after page of NPD data, you now don't trust them when they don't give you the number *you* expected for your console of choice, the Wii? Yes... clearly you are not a fanboy. (that's sarcasm). As for the Xbox vs. Xbox 360 data, you can try to point to individual regions all you want, but as I proved it is WAY ahead of it in the WW arena. WAY ahead. Soon to be a full year ahead. There is no spin there... it's a cold hard fact. When doing numbers, don't let your bias cloud your judgment, and use some common sense. The LoZ sold just over 500k titles in December... meaning it's likely the NPD console number is correct. If the Wii moved 1.1 million units as you say, it's VERY likely LoZ would have moved a ton more copies. When the Xbox 360 debuted, Call of Duty 2 sold to 75% of everybody who had a console. I think it's logical to assume that the LoZ would do about the same numbers or better as it is the only good game on the Wii right now.

Around the Network

Well ,now we have the official NPD numbers and the X360 hastn sold 1.5 million but 1.1 in december and the total cumulated tally is around 4.5 ,with some 2.3 for Europe and 0.3 for Japan ....we could add some 0.45 for the rest of NA for a total of some 7.5 million sold .....7.65 adding Australia if you want . This page ,if everything ,was being extremely optimistic about the X360 sales ,Monty . Now ,I expect them to put down its numbers in the graph in the main page . Also the other consoles ones ....Wii isnt anywhere around 1.8 million sold in NA but 1.1 at 31 dec 1.2 counting rest of NA and a total of 3 not 4 millions sold and PS3 counting the rest of NA should be at around 750 000 and a total of 1.25 million at 31 dec. worldwide . Will you stop now Monty ?

Jack said: Monty said: The funny thing in all this, is after we've seen the NPD numbers and the shipped number for the 360, it makes nexgenwars look like they were a lot more accurate than this site, as their 360 numbers were considerably higher and the Wii number considerably lower. I'm not a fan of either site, but the appearance is definitely there to the casual viewer that it was more on target. That is funny how you have been pushing their 9+million number and never showed how the NA has sold more than 5 million. The Wii and the PS3 numbers are a little high but the 360 numbers are not at all to low. It is pure fantasy that you are living in if you are happy to live in a fantasy world be my guest. But that does not prove they are too low.
The Wii numbers are "a little high"?!?!? They sold 1 million in the US. Using your own formula that you guys have been pushing down my throat, that would mean they didn't even touch 3 million. That means vgcharts is more than 1 million off with only 3 million in sales. What kind of batting % is that? Why should I trust the 360 numbers when it is that far off the Wii numbers which were in a lot more limited supply leaving less room for error? Again, a lot of this goes back to common sense. At the end of the year, vgcharts had 7.9 listed as the 360 sales. MS released figures showing 10.4 million shipped. Use your logic and ask yourself if it was at all possible to have 1 out of every 4 Xbox 360s EVER made in the last 14 months on store shelves? Of course not! Since most of this is guesswork, it's best to use logic and reason at times.

Diomedes1976 said: Well ,now we have the official NPD numbers and the X360 hastn sold 1.5 million but 1.1 in december and the total cumulated tally is around 4.5 ,with some 2.3 for Europe and 0.3 for Japan ....we could add some 0.45 for the rest of NA for a total of some 7.5 million sold ..... This page ,if everything ,was being extremely optimistic about the X360 sales ,Monty . Now ,I expect them to put down its numbers in the graph in the main page . Also the other consoles ones ....Wii isnt anywhere around 1.8 million sold in NA but 1.1 at 31 decor 1.2 counting rest of NA at best and PS3 counting the rest of NA should be at around 750 000 and a total of 1.25 million at 31 dec . Will you stop now Monty ?
So, now you're trying to convince me that 3 million Xbox 360's are sitting on store shelves? 1 out of every 3 ever made is on a store shelf somewhere? At some point does logic and simple reasoning ever play into your ideas? Also, as pointed out before, the owner of vgcharts has detailed some of his strategy over at the GAF forum he is a member at. If I'm understanding correctly, he feels that NPD data is under-reported and devised a formula to add in how much it is under-reported by using a formula he got when the new PStwo was released (I explained it above). There are so many holes in a formula like that, I don't even know where to start. Also, the Dec sales have shown us just how off this site is. It's nice to see at least you guys are seeing this my way now... regardless of where you think the stats are (high or low), you now know that this is just complete guesswork and the numbers are worthless.

Well ,this show us thatwe have to wait some month and a half if we want to have reliable data and all the other is just guesswork .The numbers of all the consoles were inflated something ,especially the Wii ones . But right now ,either you put yourself above NPD and Media Create and everybody or you must admit the total tally of X360 sold worldwide doesnt exceed 7.6 million by too much .

Around the Network

Diomedes1976 said: Well ,this show us thatwe have to wait some month and a half if we want to have reliable data and all the other is just guesswork .The numbers of all the consoles were inflated something ,especially the Wii ones . But right now ,either you put yourself above NPD and Media Create and everybody or you must admit the total tally of X360 sold worldwide doesnt exceed 7.6 million by too much .
It's insane to suggest the 360 is at 7.6 million! Again, you're saying that 1 out of every three 360s sold to retail is still on store shelves. You're saying that there is 3 million sitting in a back room somewhere. Are you at all listening to what you're saying? As I said, it's really ok to use logic and reasoning here. Really. Try it...

Monty, NPD data cited here says that these are the top selling games of 2006: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4525&Itemid=2 Top 10 videogames for 2006 overall (platform specific): The PS2 had five games in this category, the Xbox 360 had three and the DS claimed two. Madden NFL 07, PS2, EA—2.8 million New Super Mario Bros., DS, Nintendo—2 million Gears of War, Xbox 360, Microsoft—1.8 million Kingdom Hearts II, PS2, Square Enix—1.7 million Guitar Hero II, PS2, Activision—1.3 million Final Fantasy XII, PS2, Square Enix—1.3 million Brain Age: Train Your Brain, DS, Nintendo—1.1 million Madden NFL 07, Xbox 360, EA—1.1 million Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Xbox 360, Ubisoft—1 million NCAA Football 07, PS2, EA—1 million Microsoft has said 2.7 million copies of Gears of War sold (check out www.vgcharts.org...oh wait) It all comes down to timing, and whether the data is presented. But considering Gears sold 800 k in all of December, it seems unlikely (using logic) that the discrepency of 900k could be mostly accounted for in the 11 days of January since December ended. In other words, something has to give. Same is true for hardware sales.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Monty said: Your posts get funnier everytime I read them. Now you think NPD's number for the Wii is half a million off? After citing me page after page of NPD data, you now don't trust them when they don't give you the number *you* expected for your console of choice, the Wii? Yes... clearly you are not a fanboy. (that's sarcasm). As for the Xbox vs. Xbox 360 data, you can try to point to individual regions all you want, but as I proved it is WAY ahead of it in the WW arena. WAY ahead. Soon to be a full year ahead. There is no spin there... it's a cold hard fact. When doing numbers, don't let your bias cloud your judgment, and use some common sense. The LoZ sold just over 500k titles in December... meaning it's likely the NPD console number is correct. If the Wii moved 1.1 million units as you say, it's VERY likely LoZ would have moved a ton more copies. When the Xbox 360 debuted, Call of Duty 2 sold to 75% of everybody who had a console. I think it's logical to assume that the LoZ would do about the same numbers or better as it is the only good game on the Wii right now.
Show what you know I don't own nor will I own in the future a wii. I think it is childish (graphics) and I am way to lazy to move around like that. I moved furniture to put myself through college so I have walked countless miles and I don't feel like moving any part of my body alot now. The reason the numbers are off is because the demand is very high and they somehow could not make enough. You would think they would be able to make enough dvd and cpu to meet production levels. And they should be lowered. We did not say Wii sold 1.1 million to date NPD did you tell us their number is right then you tell us their wrong. Which is it? Also you have to add in MEXICO you know from your points they sell 50% of US. Plus Canada's 35% of US sales. Isn't that what you want for XBOX 360 numbers. Give me a break :shakes head: The 360 however does not have a supply shortage and relatively not many people want them no matter what you say. It sold (US) what the Xbox1 usually sold during December to think that it would sell more like you do/did is amusing comparing the two trends. If you want to talk about WW sells being off

Alvar said: Random() said: What does this site have to gain by saying MS didnt sell 10 million? You seem to take Microsoft's statistics at face value as you seem to try to fit there estimates with your numbers. And you have to agree that MS has an interest in misleading us... but really why would VGCharts lie? do you think they are run by Nintendo or Sony? it just seems that you really want to spin numbers until we agree that the 360 is the sytem of the gods. \ the numbers i really would like to see is what % of 360's are defective. because i know of a few people with broken down 360's... yours truly included. Been checking around different forums and sites a bit trying to find some real numbers myself... and I just had to sign up to ask... Are you serious that you trust the numbers on this site because you don't see the reason they would lie? That does not make any kind of sense at all. Of course you have to question the numbers if they don't show where they got them from. They could be missinformed themselves, you don't need to actively lie to post something incorrect.
im serious. i think vg charts is reputable. Mostly because good video game sites link to it. Monty on the other hand sounds like someone from MS Publc Relations. believe whatever you want, but VG charts numbers make sense to me.

This is in Responce to the Xbox Vs 360 WW sales 360 is even with xbox in America and Japan, but in Europe/Australia it is Way ahead the original xbox did not launch until March in these places, PS2 dominated Europe etc and xbox sales were very slow in Europe, however 360 has sold 900k in UK (Xbox has only sold 2m LTD), it has sold 150k in Australia (360 was fastest console to 100k here). so in other words it has made alot of ground outside of NA and Japan to be ahead WW.