By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 Numbers don't add up!

Monty said: As stated above, I believe the person running vgcharts is accounting for a under-reporting of NPD data... not adding in stuff for Mexico. Furthermore, nobody knows when that 5.38 number is for... we're in mid-January... does that include this month at all? A few weeks ago - at the end of Dec - it was quite different.
According to the most recent NPD data though, it appears this site is more than accounting for the Canadians and the rest of NA. Japan is right on target (data very easy to get, Japan reports numbers every week). Europe is the only real question mark. Regardless, this just shows the numbers on this site are decently accurate for the consoles actually sold to end users.

Around the Network

Monty it seems that you have been relegated to proving that the #'s on this site are not exactly correct. Looking at the previoius few post, there is a significant premium above what NPD reports for the NA total on this site. Do you want the site to cease to exist because it cannot tell you exactly what Mexico and Argentina accounted for in sales? Should political posters cease to exist because they don't actually ask every individual? You cannot expcect a free website to do country by country analysis.

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million

Monty said: It did have a price cut after 6 months (in May of 2002) to $199. Anyhow, my original statement still stands and was correct... The Xbox 360 shipped 10 million in 13 months, the Xbox 1 did so in 19 months. Actually, upon checking it was closer to 21 months... they announced in July 2003 they had sold (shipped) 9.4 million units of the Xbox. That would be the 20 month mark, so it likely took 21 months. http://vgmwatch.com/?p=357
I seriously distrust that site. 1) Box had only sold 450,000 in Japan by the end of July. I just don't see the rest of Asia buying more than Japan...(which this site says 1million in Asia...) 2) That would be 18 months, November 2001 - June 2003 (the report was made in July, it would have been for the previous month).

Stromprophet said: Monty said: While it's a little off topic... just to hammer home HOW much better the 360 is doing than the Xbox1... the Xbox 1 reached 14.5 million on about July of 2004 (the 2 year, 20 month mark). The 360 is on pace to reach that same figure by July of 2007 (the 1 year, 20 month mark). Meaning, by July the 360 will likely be a full year ahead of the Xbox's pace. Even more amazing, is they did that without any Halo titles, which will likely come in the holiday season of 2007. X360 Nov 06 567,500 3,775,500 XB Nov 02 518,000 3,930,500 This is from the graphs section of this site, for US sales. You should go use that tool and see what I'm talking about. According to US sales figures (which I assume have been documented from NPD) as of November the 360 is still not ahead of the Box. Yes, the Halo titles have not come yet, that has something to do with it certainly, that's a title a lot of fans love. You need to stop being insane and just look at those numbers. It's completely unreasonable to believe 360 is selling any different in Europe or Japan than the original which these regions (US, Japan, Europe) together account for almost all the consoles sold in the world. And just so I don't have to listen to whatever insane reason you are going to say for this, Thru today 360 has sold 320,000 in Japan, for the same time period Box sold 350,000. You can look this up on this site, the figures are reported pretty darn accurately.
I guess I'm not following you... it's a FACT that the 360 is ahead of the Xbox 1 by 9+ months. I posted you sources to back that up. It's also a FACT that's on pace to be 1 year ahead by the beginning of July. You're pointing to specific regions, I'm pointing to WW... I think WW is what matters as that is the total sales. In about 1 1/2 years the Xbox 360 will be at 50% of the entire Xbox 1's total. How is that not outselling the Xbox by leaps and bounds?

Stromprophet said: Monty said: It did have a price cut after 6 months (in May of 2002) to $199. Anyhow, my original statement still stands and was correct... The Xbox 360 shipped 10 million in 13 months, the Xbox 1 did so in 19 months. Actually, upon checking it was closer to 21 months... they announced in July 2003 they had sold (shipped) 9.4 million units of the Xbox. That would be the 20 month mark, so it likely took 21 months. http://vgmwatch.com/?p=357 I seriously distrust that site. 1) Box had only sold 450,000 in Japan by the end of July. I just don't see the rest of Asia buying more than Japan...(which this site says 1million in Asia...) 2) That would be 18 months, November 2001 - June 2003 (the report was made in July, it would have been for the previous month).
It's not that site... it was an official MS press release. It's on a LOT of sites, that's just the one I picked out. And the 14.5 million figure by July of 2004 (the 2 year 20 month mark) is widely available too (Google it). The 360's forecast of the same figure at the 1 year 20 month mark is also widely available.

Around the Network

Stromprophet said: X360 Nov 06 567,500 3,775,500 XB Nov 02 518,000 3,930,500 This is from the graphs section of this site, for US sales. You should go use that tool and see what I'm talking about. According to US sales figures (which I assume have been documented from NPD) as of November the 360 is still not ahead of the Box. Yes, the Halo titles have not come yet, that has something to do with it certainly, that's a title a lot of fans love. You need to stop being insane and just look at those numbers. It's completely unreasonable to believe 360 is selling any different in Europe or Japan than the original which these regions (US, Japan, Europe) together account for almost all the consoles sold in the world. And just so I don't have to listen to whatever insane reason you are going to say for this, Thru today 360 has sold 320,000 in Japan, for the same time period Box sold 350,000. You can look this up on this site, the figures are reported pretty darn accurately.
You should really look at this post Monty. The numbers simply don't lie. Thru November 2006 - 360 - 3.775 million Thru November 2002 - Box - 3.93 million Japan January 2007 - 360 - 320,000 Japan January 2003 - Box - 350,000 I can't find European numbers, beause they don't track them very well. However, is there any reason to assume it would be different than the US and Japan? If anything the US is the strongest M$ market, that should tell you how all the regions are recieving the console, similar to the US market. You don't follow cause you don't do math for some reason. These are well accounted for "SALES" figures. Forget what Sony, Nintendo, M$ all say they ship. That's just a bragging number.

catofellow said: Monty it seems that you have been relegated to proving that the #'s on this site are not exactly correct. Looking at the previoius few post, there is a significant premium above what NPD reports for the NA total on this site. Do you want the site to cease to exist because it cannot tell you exactly what Mexico and Argentina accounted for in sales? Should political posters cease to exist because they don't actually ask every individual? You cannot expcect a free website to do country by country analysis.
Point taken... I do not expect it to be exact, and nobody will ever have an exact number. What I do want is it to be reasonable. And at the end of the year, it showed 7.9 million consoles sold, and MS released they had shipped 10.4 million - a difference of 2.5 million consoles (25% of the ENTIRE life of the stock). What *I* strongly felt was that was WAY low and WAY out of whack... I still believe that. I think common sense and logic would follow that 1 out of every 4 Xbox's ever sold is not sitting on a store shelf. What I also would like is for it to give a date on when the figures are through. That's not unreasonable, is it? What I'd also like is for people to quit telling me how "transparent" this site is, as that clearly is not the case. Nobody knows where or how he arrives to these figures. Therefore, it should be taken for what it's worth. However, I find that most people here will fight to the death over these figures as if they are 100% accurate, and somehow my estimations are less valid.

Also, since I'm feeling nice tonight, I'll let you in on what you're doing wrong, Stromprophet... the Xbox 1 did not do a WW launch. It's why the 360 is so far ahead. However, I think at this point it is clearly outpacing the Xbox 1, and that's why the figures are so far ahead for the 360, and projected to stay well ahead. You're making the mistake of comparing region by region, which look similar, but were not launched all at the same time for the Xbox 1. You're welcome!

The funny thing in all this, is after we've seen the NPD numbers and the shipped number for the 360, it makes nexgenwars look like they were a lot more accurate than this site, as their 360 numbers were considerably higher and the Wii number considerably lower. I'm not a fan of either site, but the appearance is definitely there to the casual viewer that it was more on target.