By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So does my prediction of the PSVita outselling the 3DS sound crazy now?

Gilgamesh said:
RolStoppable said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
What I don't understand is why Gilgamesh's predictions are getting such great attention. Has he predicted stuff accurately in the past or???

I was going to defend this prediction with the fact that it was made long ago, but I'll refrain from doing so thanks to Rol's post.

He gets attention because the stuff he says is so out of this world. His basic reasoning is always "Sony is awesome, so everyone else will fail" which becomes all the more obvious in the thread I linked to. His two main reasons for a PSV victory are:

1) Nintendo has dominated for a long time, so it's time that somebody else takes the lead. No substantional reasoning is given beyond that.

2) Nintendo's IPs can't sell forever, so their market will inevitably dry up. Their games have been selling for over two decades, so it must come to an end.

I do recall saying the PS3 and X360 will be outselling the Wii in the future 3 or 4 years ago when the Wii was peaking. A lot of people called me crazy on that one. The main fact is no one knows how things will end, doesn't matter how a console starts, it's how it ends.

yep, it's opinion, that many take to far out of context. i  wish you the best in your prediction mr. giggles.

Around the Network

Nintendo stopped supporting the Wii then the HD twins started to outsell it. So I believe that if Nintendo stop supporting the 3DS at the end of its life Vita can outsell it.

RolStoppable said:
Gilgamesh said:
RolStoppable said:

He gets attention because the stuff he says is so out of this world. His basic reasoning is always "Sony is awesome, so everyone else will fail" which becomes all the more obvious in the thread I linked to. His two main reasons for a PSV victory are:

1) Nintendo has dominated for a long time, so it's time that somebody else takes the lead. No substantional reasoning is given beyond that.

2) Nintendo's IPs can't sell forever, so their market will inevitably dry up. Their games have been selling for over two decades, so it must come to an end.

I do recall saying the PS3 and X360 will be outselling the Wii in the future 3 or 4 years ago when the Wii was peaking. A lot of people called me crazy on that one. The main fact is no one knows how things will end, doesn't matter how a console starts, it's how it ends.

People called you crazy, because back then your reasoning was the same as it is now for the 3DS vs. the PSV. You are simply banking on hope and dumb luck.

No different then the people saying I'm wrong.

zero129 said:
Gilgamesh said:
RolStoppable said:
Gilgamesh said:
RolStoppable said:

People called you crazy, because back then your reasoning was the same as it is now for the 3DS vs. the PSV. You are simply banking on hope and dumb luck.

My question would be, how are you right xD

I've given my explanations throughout many differnt threads.

Crazy doesn't cover it. "madder than a bag of arses"

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Gilgamesh said:
RolStoppable said:

That's a pretty broad generalisation of the VGC community, don't you think? I am pretty sure that there were many people that tried to reason with you, but your answer usually boiled down to the obligatory: "Anything is possible. Anything can happen." Which is the epitome of banking on hope and dumb luck.

Still no different then people saying "well the DS sold 150 million, Gameboy sold 120 million so the 3DS is garunteed over 100 million in sales, all Nintendo handhelds do this well" We all know that's what there thinking. If you can forget Nintendos past and PSPs past and put the two consoles together like this is Sony/Nintendo's first hanhelds they ever released and think which would do better.

Jay520 said:
VicViper said:
Jay520 said:
It was never crazy to begin with. I see some of you forgetting the power of Playstation.

Wait till Gran Turismo releases. Then we'll talk.

Price cut, Call of Duty, Monster Hunter.

Never heard the gran turismo saving theory before! One more and it's chalkboard time!

I've never understood the PS3 chalkboard. A lot of the things listed really DID contribute to saving the PS3.

Contribute would be the issue.  Back in the day people generally argued that as soon as "X game came out" PS3 was going to triple in sales, blow past the Wii and never look back... sales never dropping off like well, they always do when influenced by a big game.

Then they kept saying it, and kept saying it.

Erisian said:
Crazy doesn't cover it. "madder than a bag of arses"

RolStoppable said:
Gilgamesh said:
RolStoppable said:

That's a pretty broad generalisation of the VGC community, don't you think? I am pretty sure that there were many people that tried to reason with you, but your answer usually boiled down to the obligatory: "Anything is possible. Anything can happen." Which is the epitome of banking on hope and dumb luck.

Still no different then people saying "well the DS sold 150 million, Gameboy sold 120 million so the 3DS is garunteed over 100 million in sales, all Nintendo handhelds do this well" We all know that's what there thinking. If you can forget Nintendos past and PSPs past and put the two consoles together like this is Sony/Nintendo's first hanhelds they ever released and think which would do better.

It is different. Track record does count, Gilgamesh.

If Nintendo is capable of releasing a bunch of games that sell over ten million copies (and they obviously are), then that's already a big guarantee that the system will be successful. These are first party games after all, so the only way these games wouldn't come would be if Nintendo for some reason decided to not make them.

On the other hand, Sony has no such big sellers and worse, the biggest games on the PSP were third party titles. As such, there isn't even a guarantee that Sony's handheld will be successful, because they are dependent on third parties.

And right now, a year after the 3DS launched and a month after the PSV launched, it looks like the 3DS will be the clear winner. It already has a couple of big games (Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land) with another two already confirmed (Super Mario Bros. and Monster Hunter 4). Plus new Brain Training and Animal Crossing games which may or may not become a big success. Meanwhile the Vita has nothing big released for it so far with nothing big announced for it. Call of Duty seems to be the best bet at the moment, but it largely depends on what it will be and what features it will have. But regardless of what it will be, it's going to be dwarfed by Super Mario Bros.

It's the known (3DS) against the unknown (PSV), that's why believing in a PSV victory at this point in time is most definitely solely a matter of hope. The 15m lead of the 3DS doesn't hurt Nintendo's chances either.

i Agree 10%

Switch!!!