By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony have already won...

X-Man said:
fkusumot said:

No, you were wrong. You thought that citing units of software sold could prove how much profit was made. You have failed to do that. Your logic was flawed. Stop making up numbers and tell us how much profit was made on the software.

I'm beginning to think you enjoy being wrong. It must be a fetish. I wasn't proving 'how much profit was made', I was proving that Sony has made more money on PS1 and PS2 software, then they have lost on PS3 hardware.

Again, i'm right and you're wrong.

Really? How much has Sony lost on the PS3 hardware?

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:
lvader said:
Diomedes1976 said:
As long as the Wii users are casuals of the worst kind and third party software bombs in the machine the Wii will be a little more that a toy only Nintendo gets benefit from .

In that perspective the real "videogame " market is between the X360 and PS3 ,and PS3 will win sooner or later .

Not only userbase decides where development goes .If that were the case there wouldnt be ever any new generation because the new machines when launched (and along their first year usually ) get outsold by they older siblings .There are far more PC enabled to run games optimized for graphics cards along the 6800 models that after the 8800 .But ,this industry moves on technology and the new developments will be for PS3 and X360 ,thats where the fresh money will go .Wii will have its fun minigames ,gimmicky sports games and the likes along the Nintendo franchises and that will be all.Oh ,and quick cash-ins and shovelware of course ,its speciality .Thats pretty clear .

Wii Bingo.

You two absolutely cannot be serious... If you are, then you two are as big a problem for the video gaming world as those casuals that you are so offended by.

Have either of you seen the list of RPG games coming to Nintendo's newest console? I am pretty sure there is a little more than, "fun minigames, gimmicky sports games, quick cash-ins, and shovelware" to talk about. And since it seems to have those games and still be murdering your precious favorite consoles, what is going to happen when Tales and the like start hitting?

On topic, Sony will outsell Microsoft worldwide because Microsoft has absolutely no market in Japan where Sony has at least a little penetration in America. Sorry to Microsoft fan...

Wich RPG ?Some Tales of ,a Namco one and a FF spin-off .Just like the Cube had .

It can get more ,thats for granted .But once gamers get a taste of a RPG on the PS3 like White Knight Story or Final Fantasy XIII few japanese will like to go back to the PS2-like graphics of the Wii to seek beautiful worlds ..and thats one of the main attraction of JRPG .

Wow!! people still using this as an argument, after fantasic looking games like gears of war, mass effect bioshock ,uncharted, etc, people are still picking the wii in droves,  doesn't that show you that graphics are not the main selling point of a console thses days, havent the last 3 years shown you that. The selling point of the wii is not just the motion controller, but the different way it will/may take gaming, and i am not talking about casual games. Not trying to take away from the PS3, its a great system, but offers nothing truly inovative and refreshing to gaming, except for a better picture. I love this new direction the wii is taking gaming, but i also love the way the PS3 pays homage to the way we have been playing for years. But this is probably falling on deaf ears simply because i have seen some of your posts in the past, and it seems the wii does not do anything for you, which is not a bad thing by the way.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Fastrabbit09 said:
x-man, why are you ignoring the numbers posted in this thread?

he gave links to Sony and everything

prior to PS3 launch, Sony had made 5.5 billion TOTAL from ALL of its video games (ps1/ps2/psp). Now they have lost OVER HALF of that 5.5 billion in the 13 months since PS3 launched...and they just cut prices further which means MORE losses

so they are projecting to have lost EVERYTHING Sony has made in video games by the end of next year!!

that is not a win in most people's books, especially in businesses' books

also, ps2 hardware may NOW make a profit on each console sold, but it didn't prior to 2005...so all those consoles sold prior to 2005 (most of them) lost them money and its very likely that the profit on the consoles since 2005 has NOT yet equalled the loss prior to 2005, so its very likely Sony LOST money thus far on ps2 hardware and so that digs into the software's profits

also, did Sony ever develop any ps2 games that lost money? if they spent millions on development and it didn't sell enough, then they lose money, like any other publisher

Where are the links? I see a link to a Sony website, but I see nothing about Sony making $5.5 billion period on the Playstation brand.

Diomedes1976 said:
As long as the Wii users are casuals of the worst kind and third party software bombs in the machine the Wii will be a little more that a toy only Nintendo gets benefit from .

In that perspective the real "videogame " market is between the X360 and PS3 ,and PS3 will win sooner or later .

Not only userbase decides where development goes .If that were the case there wouldnt be ever any new generation because the new machines when launched (and along their first year usually ) get outsold by they older siblings .There are far more PC enabled to run games optimized for graphics cards along the 6800 models that after the 8800 .But ,this industry moves on technology and the new developments will be for PS3 and X360 ,thats where the fresh money will go .Wii will have its fun minigames ,gimmicky sports games and the likes along the Nintendo franchises and that will be all.Oh ,and quick cash-ins and shovelware of course ,its speciality .Thats pretty clear .

it seems to me that you are predicting the wii's future on the first year games. you shouldn't do that man! no one thought that the wii would succeed. therefore, people rushed minigames on the system. now they have time to make quality games. also, how can you say that the wii isn't competing in the real video games market? it's games are selling gr8 for a 1st year console. (maybe comparable to 360's second year!) you really have to get your facts str8! i will be expecting a lot from all the consoles! (maybe a little less from the 360 since it's doing good anyway and it's more than 2 years old.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

All of you ps3 fans are way too optimistic. you all thought that the ps3 would out sell Wii in its first year but it didn't. you all thought that ps3 would outsell Wii after the price drop but it didn't. you all thought that the ps3 would outsell Wii after during its first and second Christmas but it didn't. and now you've all given up on it selling more than the Wii and lowered your standards by saying it will sell more than the 360, saying once the line-up of new games come out then ps3 will dominate. but that "new line-up" that you are referring to SUCKS! i want somebody to post a list of new games for the ps3 that are coming out in 2008 and i don't want any random games, only the ones you truly think will be good.

my predictions: by the end of march wii will have sold as much as ps3 and 360 combined.

the nintendo wii will outsell the ps3 and the 360 combined by the end of 2008.                           

PS3 will out sell the 360 june 2010.                                                                      

GOTY of 2008 is super smash brothers brawl.... hopefully.

END OF 08 PREDICTIONS:

Wii: 45 million         xbox360: 26 million       PS3: 19 million (made beginning of 08)

wii: 44 million         xbox 360: 24 million      PS3: 21 million (made june 08)

wii code: 8094-5344-2140-1400

brawl code: 5412-9565-3232   

Around the Network
Fastrabbit09 said:
x-man, why are you ignoring the numbers posted in this thread?

he gave links to Sony and everything

prior to PS3 launch, Sony had made 5.5 billion TOTAL from ALL of its video games (ps1/ps2/psp). Now they have lost OVER HALF of that 5.5 billion in the 13 months since PS3 launched...and they just cut prices further which means MORE losses

so they are projecting to have lost EVERYTHING Sony has made in video games by the end of next year!!

that is not a win in most people's books, especially in businesses' books

also, ps2 hardware may NOW make a profit on each console sold, but it didn't prior to 2005...so all those consoles sold prior to 2005 (most of them) lost them money and its very likely that the profit on the consoles since 2005 has NOT yet equalled the loss prior to 2005, so its very likely Sony LOST money thus far on ps2 hardware and so that digs into the software's profits

also, did Sony ever develop any ps2 games that lost money? if they spent millions on development and it didn't sell enough, then they lose money, like any other publisher

And those losses are from Sony's mouth! I predict even if the PS3 does get out of last place and beat the 360 it will never make back the profits it lost from Sony's last 2 generation consoles. Even it somehow beat the Wii it will have still cost Sony more than it made them. Again, Ninty is the only one making money.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Diomedes1976 said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:
lvader said:
Diomedes1976 said:

Bingo.

You two absolutely cannot be serious... If you are, then you two are as big a problem for the video gaming world as those casuals that you are so offended by.

Have either of you seen the list of RPG games coming to Nintendo's newest console? I am pretty sure there is a little more than, "fun minigames, gimmicky sports games, quick cash-ins, and shovelware" to talk about. And since it seems to have those games and still be murdering your precious favorite consoles, what is going to happen when Tales and the like start hitting?

On topic, Sony will outsell Microsoft worldwide because Microsoft has absolutely no market in Japan where Sony has at least a little penetration in America. Sorry to Microsoft fan...

Wich RPG ?Some Tales of ,a Namco one and a FF spin-off .Just like the Cube had .

It can get more ,thats for granted .But once gamers get a taste of a RPG on the PS3 like White Knight Story or Final Fantasy XIII few japanese will like to go back to the PS2-like graphics of the Wii to seek beautiful worlds ..and thats one of the main attraction of JRPG .

OMFG, you are serious. I know I probably sjould ignore you but it would do us all no good. So let me open by saying that I noticed the best you could do was argue my RPG point. You tend to not see the whole of my point. Fair enough then, lets go back before going forward.

1) Please define "real video game market" for me. As far as I see it, PS3 and XBOX 360 both want casuals (see Rockband, Viva Pinata and Scene it for some examples) but because of the company behind it, nobody takes them seriously right? I guess that Eye Toy for the Playstation 2 was to help, "real" video games right? Only Nintendo would get hamstringed for doing something thee others wish they could have done.

2) Show me these new developments you are talking about with XBOX 360 AND Playstation 3? Blu Ray? High Def? Storage? I am not sure I understand how those are more important than the controller interface (which directly affects "real video games"). Now I am not saying they are not important, I am saying I do not see them MORE important. Do you think the next generation of gaming will rely on the used up Super Nintendo and Dreamcast controllers? Probably not.

3) You never told me what would happen when the "real" games start coming out for Wii? If Wii is killing everything with the "horrid" gaming library it has, why would anything change when in, say, two years, the gaming library looks quite a bit better? I am not going to allow you to dodge this one buddy.

4) Onto the PRG point. If you have done no research, then that is not my fault and I am not obligated to tell you anything more than do some research. I came prepared and so should you. FYI, Gamecube had quite a bit more than three RPG games.

5) The last point I want to make is kinda moot but whatever. You say once gamers get a touch of the worlds in White Knight Story and so on that they will not return right? I guess it would not be proper to argue that head on as it is just a projection filled with your hopes. Fine by me. I will say this in response though:

I could have sworn the next Monster Hunter game was a Playstation 3 exclusive. No? Wii exclusive? But Blue Dragon showed us so much when it comes to graphics and worlds... Graphics really matter that much? The worlds matter that much? Why the hell is Dragon Quest IX a DS exclusive then? And you better not say anything about userbase because you would fall into your own trap (just trying to help you out)...

I killed you dude. You will probably respond, and I will definitely ignore you. Not because I am above you, but because I do not want my post tally adding up based on some silly argument.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

ministaff said:
All of you ps3 fans are way too optimistic. you all thought that the ps3 would out sell Wii in its first year but it didn't. you all thought that ps3 would outsell Wii after the price drop but it didn't. you all thought that the ps3 would outsell Wii after during its first and second Christmas but it didn't. and now you've all given up on it selling more than the Wii and lowered your standards by saying it will sell more than the 360, saying once the line-up of new games come out then ps3 will dominate. but that "new line-up" that you are referring to SUCKS! i want somebody to post a list of new games for the ps3 that are coming out in 2008 and i don't want any random games, only the ones you truly think will be good.

my predictions: by the end of march wii will have sold as much as ps3 and 360 combined.

Hell yes. You stole the words directly from my mind dude. Excellent point. I am not sure about how much Wii will sell by March but I am absolutely certain that you nailed everything else to perfection.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I don't see the problem with the OP; it's already been established by popular opinion on Vgchartz that the Wii will disintegrate the Ps3 and the 360 and that the only battle left was/is for 2nd place. So why should the Wii or DS be in the equation, unless you think it'll get 2nd or 3rd place?
Is it so horrible not to have the Wii mentioned in every single thread? Get over it, this is about second place, which according to most will never go to Nintendo.

No no, if you approach this logical, my roller 9000 doesnt stand a chance. Im going to have to increase production and buy some color markers or something.