By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony have already won...

Current Gen HD consoles : Sony vs Microsoft .

The wii is not in the same league. My daughter got a wii for Christmas and we have been playing the crap out of for 3 straight days but its just not in the same league as the PS3 or XBox.

Its like comparing bicycle sales vs motorcycle sales. Yeah they are selling more bikes but does that mean Huffy is dominating Harley??

Point being they are aiming at different demographics and thus in different leagues.

But hey the wii does have some great mini games and my parents that it was really cool. Casual gamers are in heaven with that thing, you DONT have to be any good or even KNOW HOW TO PLAY to win at most of the best selling games.(Wii Play, Wii Sports, Mario & Sonic, Mario Party 8, Rayman 2) Now why would the games that require no brain power be such big sellers? because they are selling to a different demographic, thier intended demographic doesnt know how to play a video game. (kids & parents) So they took away the buttons and complex moves. They just made it so whoever shakes thier controller fastest or is just plain luckiest the winner. oh and they got mario (who was cool 15 years ago or still cool if you are under the age of 12)

Around the Network
ultraslick said:
@sienar
you have listed: "Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"

I feel I should say, if you see something in front of you, then turn 360 degrees, you will be facing it again.

to turn and walk the other direction would be 180 degrees.

Also, I appreciate your fact checking on Wikipedia.

Thats the joke

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

dgm6780 said:
Current Gen HD consoles : Sony vs Microsoft .

The wii is not in the same league. My daughter got a wii for Christmas and we have been playing the crap out of for 3 straight days but its just not in the same league as the PS3 or XBox.

Its like comparing bicycle sales vs motorcycle sales. Yeah they are selling more bikes but does that mean Huffy is dominating Harley??

Point being they are aiming at different demographics and thus in different leagues.

But hey the wii does have some great mini games and my parents that it was really cool. Casual gamers are in heaven with that thing, you DONT have to be any good or even KNOW HOW TO PLAY to win at most of the best selling games.(Wii Play, Wii Sports, Mario & Sonic, Mario Party 8, Rayman 2) Now why would the games that require no brain power be such big sellers? because they are selling to a different demographic, thier intended demographic doesnt know how to play a video game. (kids & parents) So they took away the buttons and complex moves. They just made it so whoever shakes thier controller fastest or is just plain luckiest the winner. oh and they got mario (who was cool 15 years ago or still cool if you are under the age of 12)

OMG...you are joking....right???

Wii is Nintendo's latest console, and it's competing both Sony and Microsoft, even if the graphics are not as powerful, even if it's not HD!!

Also, please, you're just saying this because the "HD" consoles are loosing, this does not mean they are in a different category, all 3 are next-gen consoles, and more people think that Wii is more next-gen than the other 2!!

and....."Sony has already won" ????

what the hell???

if you think that Ps3 will sale 100m.....you can be dreaming as much as you like.....Wii is the revolution in gaming, so it's nex-gen!!

but yes, if it's between Ps3 and Xbox360, then yeah, Sony has won!!

Sony has only lose from the Wii, but also from the Nds!! (30 million is not a difference that can be covered!!

Sony is having it's worst defeat, from Nintendo, but not from Microsoft!!

*I'm a fan of both Sony and Nintendo, and i own both Wii and Ps3, but i can say Nintendo has won!!!!

but yeah, Sony has defeated Microsoft!!! :)

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

ministaff said:
All of you ps3 fans are way too optimistic. you all thought that the ps3 would out sell Wii in its first year but it didn't. you all thought that ps3 would outsell Wii after the price drop but it didn't. you all thought that the ps3 would outsell Wii after during its first and second Christmas but it didn't. and now you've all given up on it selling more than the Wii and lowered your standards by saying it will sell more than the 360, saying once the line-up of new games come out then ps3 will dominate. but that "new line-up" that you are referring to SUCKS! i want somebody to post a list of new games for the ps3 that are coming out in 2008 and i don't want any random games, only the ones you truly think will be good.

my predictions: by the end of march wii will have sold as much as ps3 and 360 combined.

This is an excellent post except for your prediction which is quite far of:

It won't happen, unless you meant march 2009 in which case you should have precised a year.

As of today according to VGChartz the Wii sold 18.52 millions.

The PS3 + 360 sold 8.41+15.69 = 24.1 millions.

So to close the gap the Wii would have to outsell both of them combined by 5.49 millions consoles in 3 months and 1 week. With a production of 1.8 millions a month that's barely 5.85 millions (assuming that nintendo managed last week's number without airshipping some ofthis week's supply otherwise it's lower) so as long as 360+PS3 sell at least 360k consoles worldwide in 3 months and a week (about 15k each per week worldwide) the Wii will not have sold as much as PS3 + 360 combined.

I personally think it will eventually, maybe even this year (though if it does this year it probably would be so close to xmas that it would lose it at xmas and regain it in early 09), but this early this year is extremely highly improbable unless Nintendo can prodce many more consoles that they told us they were capable of.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and it is your prediction but if I was you I wouldn't accept any bet on it.

@X-man: While the playstation brand still is in the black overall, at the rate the PS3 has been losing money the past 18 months (yeah, the PS3 was released 14 months ago but there were big R&D expenditures to engineer Cell with IBM and Toshiba) I would be careful about not bragging about it as it is likely that the PS3 will manage to wipe out most of these 11-12 years of profits in a very short time. Your position is a bit like saying:

"sure my favorite sport team keeps losing these days but look at all the trophies they won 20-30 years ago, overall they are still a great team". 

Which is a rather strange position to take.

@Krik 

"I can't comment on the $1 loss on PS3 vs $3 profit in TVs*  argument since there is no official information about that at all."

Actually you can, as your own post shows@ "Sony reported a profit of $930M on their Electronics division and a loss of $841M on their Game division"

You forgot electronic and Blu-Ray from Slorgnet's post and TV is part of Electronics so let's compare 3x game division against electronic:

Games division: 3x($841M) = ($2523M)

Electronics: $930M

So Blu-Ray would have to make a profit of $1593M for Slorgnet's theory to hold up for last quarter (more actually as the PS2 is definitely profitable and the PSP is probably so or at least at break even after 3 years). I do not believe for an instant that the meager sales of Blu-Ray can bridge that gap to make Slorgnet's theory true for last quarter.

Now my guess is that Slorgnet meant  for his theory to apply in the future and it might still happen but given the fate of DVD-Audio and SACD it is foolish to pin one's hope on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray until they have proven themselves to be more viable in the market then either high definition audio formats.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

i agree, all ps3 fans are too optimistic, they think everyone has their own madness to get a Ps3 insread of a Wii, haven't you realised that Ps days are gone?? ;p

*sorry for that, but its right, ps days are gone!!

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network

you are right,

but I hope for you, that u are a casual and that you will enjoy Wii's days
as much as we enjoyed PSX's days.
good luck with Wiifit ...

Time to Work !