By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox Will 'Really Put The Screws' to PS4 in Next Console War - Analyst

So am I really going to be the first one to publicly acknowledge that Michael Pachter's comments are the most sensible ones here???  The man that many have an instinctual aggressive response to???  The man that vocal naysayers claim should not even have a job because of how baseless and moronic his statements supposedly are???

I guess I am.

Anyway, yeah next gen speculation (even including Nintendo's somewhat known commodity) at this point is basically trying to kill a flying bug from 10 feet away with darts.  There are far too many unknown considerations to come close to speculating anything meaningful.

That being said, Sony's public comments about the PS4 should be GOOD NEWS to PS fans.  PS3 killed the previous R&D/loss-leader method.  Sony as a company (as seen by the recent financial report) just doesn't generate enough revenue to maintain that cavalier attitude about having the best tech (though the NGP seems to still call it into question).  They have to be smarter and Nintendo has shown the path to sustainable financial success in the video game industry.  Both MS and now Sony have publicly commented about next gen possibly adapting a similar approach.  

Hopefully this will stir up more creativity for next gen, from hardware manufacturers and game developers.  Bigger, louder and shinier just doesn't cut it anymore (e.g. Pam Anderson).

Around the Network

Pachter is the smartest man in this particular room. That is unspeakably sad.

Divnich did a good job of explaining how a console is different from a mobile phone, though. Way to go, champ!

S____M____C____C said:

Horrible article.

- Sony's entire brand image/corporate image is based on high tech and quality these days. People shouldn't imply that Sony are going to be producing some inferior product. Sure, there's a chance the NextBox will be more souped up, but the PS4 will still be powerful. 

- Sony havn't implied anything really. They obviously do not want to lose billions again, and they haven't released any NGP specs - so we don't know if they are cutting RAM or not.

- MS aren't going to make big losses next gen either. They have shareholders, shareholders that will want to see the game business produce profits. Also as MM said,  Microsoft's money is going elsewhere. Sony isn't the threat anymore to MS - It's Apple and Google.

- Finally, I'm no stock expert, but I would buy Sony stock right now. The company is the healthiest it has been in 5 years and has forecast good sales increases across its core segments. It also predicts returning to operating profit, and Nintendo don't seem to be as dominant these days.

Darth Tigris said:
S____M____C____C said:

Horrible article.

- Sony's entire brand image/corporate image is based on high tech and quality these days. People shouldn't imply that Sony are going to be producing some inferior product. Sure, there's a chance the NextBox will be more souped up, but the PS4 will still be powerful. 

- Sony havn't implied anything really. They obviously do not want to lose billions again, and they haven't released any NGP specs - so we don't know if they are cutting RAM or not.

- MS aren't going to make big losses next gen either. They have shareholders, shareholders that will want to see the game business produce profits. Also as MM said,  Microsoft's money is going elsewhere. Sony isn't the threat anymore to MS - It's Apple and Google.

- Finally, I'm no stock expert, but I would buy Sony stock right now. The company is the healthiest it has been in 5 years and has forecast good sales increases across its core segments. It also predicts returning to operating profit, and Nintendo don't seem to be as dominant these days.

I'm not too into geekspeek myself, so I don't know what that means?

But if you don't think Sony's share price will be higher in 2 years time from now, why not?

S____M____C____C said:
Darth Tigris said:
S____M____C____C said:

I'm not too into geekspeek myself, so I don't know what that means?

But if you don't think Sony's share price will be higher in 2 years time from now, why not?

I'm no stock expert either, but I know enough to consider advice from anyone that admittedly isn't an expert to be moot.  

The wisest of people have long been those who realize they actually know very little ...

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:

I personally think the nextbox has the potential to be the system where for the first time, the hardcore and the casual can live together in harmony. If they can manage that, sales will be INSANE.

What about the ps2?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Sony fucked up financially this gen and had some bad luck to top it off. They're going to be releasing a powerful console but it will be more affordable.

MS, I don't know. I think they will do the same as Sony, a powerful but affordable console.

Nintendo, will try to get early dominance (like PS2 and 360 did) and make sure they're powerful enough to get next gen ports.

Next gen, the consoles will be on a more level playing field hardware-wise. It's exclusives and features that will set them apart.

Sony and MS will not want to bleed tons of money like this gen. They basically had to try extend the generation to recoup what they lost.

Nintendo did very well, they're near the finish line and are gearing up for the next race.

I doubt Sony and MS will leave them for more than year on the market by themselves, so I pretty much think they will both launch in 2013.

Xen said:

While Khan is a troll, everybody else, especially Divnich, make very coherent points. With what the NGP seems to have going for it, it is indeed going to be about intergration and accessability. Besides, with the graphics modern consoles are putting out, no leap is even needed. You just need to smoothen the edges, improve the textures, and make 1080p a given.

Either way, power is never the way to go if you want to win. Generation after generation after generation, marketing, word of mouth, accessability, and brand strength sealed the first place.

Whoa whoa whoa there sir! You offend me

Anyway, i find it astounding that some analysts are still so pig-headed as to believe that greater power has anything to do with profitability or market viability (this generation has shown the exact opposite if you toss in handhelds, except for Wii outselling PSP, they're in matching order of weakest to strongest and highest selling to lowest). This is where the waste in our economy is going. How many smart, qualified people go unemployed so this guy can sit around and go "hurr, if you're not powerful you ain't gonna win," hmm?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Put me in the "only Pachter makes sense here" camp. While it's sad that a "no comment" is one of his best analyses ever, it really is the most accurate thing to say at this point.

UltimateUnknown# First time? Have you ever heard about ps2?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!