By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zelda's problem is Nintendo thinks a Adventure Games are RPGs

1.  Zelda games simply aren't RPG's.  You could call them that but you would be wrong.

2.  Recent Zelda games may not be as good as Ocarina of Time or Link to a Past but that's like saying the team that lost the Superbowl sucks because they lost.  Every Zelda game can't be the best game ever and only idiots would try to say Zelda games suck now because they aren't as good as Ocarina.

-edit-

lol I don't know malstrom is but all I need to know is he's on wordpress.  Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Around the Network

The only Zelda game that can even be called somewhat an RPG is Zelda II

Isn't Zelda supposed to be about adventure and exploration?

Thats why Nintendo makes new zelda games.

So people stop bitching about the last iteration.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

i think people are missing the real question here:

What is Malstroms problem?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

He is wrong, people should probably stop posting his blog articles and maybe realise that his just a random guy on a blog that has crazy opinions about things that no one really cares about.

Also, Majora's Mask was the last good Zelda game.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Porcupine_I said:

i think people are missing the real question here:

What is Malstroms problem?

Bored, taking games way to serious, doesn't have a life, never goes outside, never kissed a girl, living in his mother basement... those are a few of his problems...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

liquidninja said:

I just finished reading Malstrom's post on Zelda. We finally get to the heart of why modern Zelda games aren't as fun as the older ones. Earlier Zeldas were Action/RPGs but all the newer ones are Adventure Games.

Nintendo still thinks of them as RPGs but real RPGs allow you go around to creating your own story and have points systems and things of that nature. Monster Hunter for instance is like this. If Nintendo think Zelda is a RPG but it's clearly not then this could explain why it's creators sound clueless when trying to explain what it is.

As a result the latest Zeldas have a number of issues:

"-The emphasis on puzzles as the substance of the game…
-Linearity…
-The joke called the combat system and how little combat is in Zelda…
-Too much dialogue…
-Bad storylines or narratives in general…"

No Zelda games are RPGs, the only one that even has RPG elements is Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link.

And the reason Twilight Princess wasn't as fun was because of the greater emphasis on fetch quests, notably the 4 Moon Tear fetch quests. Also the Wolf segments were not very interesting, but were used a lot in the game; the Wolf was OK, but it wasn't nearly as fun as the Masks in Majora's Mask.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Will you people stop bringing this Malstom BS here!

The man is a fool! Stop acting like he is some kind of Gaming Industry genius!

I just think it's funny how only the VGChartz boards talk about this guy.