By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zelda's problem is Nintendo thinks a Adventure Games are RPGs

zelda games have been consistently awesome

Around the Network

I didin't know the Zelda series had "problems" haha.  Last I checked it was pretty much perfect.  *checks again*  Yep still is haha.  

Not sure why all of the hate for Twighlight Princess over the years.  It's just as good as any other Zelda which means it's excellent IMO.  I mean, do people want a drastic change to the Zelda formula?  Some might I suppose, but wouldn't it cease to be Zelda if it was changed too much?  I see all of the time in threads, "Zelda should be more like the Elder Scolls games," and stuff like that.  Ask for a new IP if you want Elder Scrolls gameplay from Nintendo.  I don't want that in my Zelda.  I like the formula.  Give me new locations, people to visit, new story, and new upgrades and I'm OK with the same formula.  TP was an evolution of the gameplay in that it added some new things (like dueling on horseback) while staying true to its roots IMO.  To each his own I guess.

As for the genre classification... I can't think of anything more pointless to argue about.  It's freaking Zelda for crying out loud! And there aren't many games out there that are just like it.  Plus, how many game franchises try a new art style with each iteration.  That's part of the fun of being a Zelda fan is getting to see what the new style will be for the game.  It makes each feel unique.  I'm rambling, and I digress so I'll stop now.

"Some of you are thinking that you won't fight. Others, that you can't fight. They all say that, until they're out there."
--
PIKMIN FAN CLUB MEMBER

The only problem with Twilight Princess (in my opinion) was that, as someone who has played all Zelda games, it was too familiar in a lot of ways ...

What's a Malstrom?

It seems like the last few Zelda's that came out, people have said it's not as good anymore, or has a problem, and then 5 or 6 years later it's the best Zelda ever. I couldn't hear enough crap when WW came out and I was working in game's retail. It was the death of Zelda....now, it seems everyone loved it? Zelda's fine.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
Euphoria14 said:

Zelda has always been considered an "Action/Adventure" title, even back in the NES days.

Malstrom is a moron and has no fucking clue about video games. You people need to stop listening to what he says.

tell that to the million nintendo fanboys on this site who keep going back and forth about his stupid blog and argue all day about what he had for dinner last night.

Believe me no real Nintendo fanboy believes in Malstrom. Nintendo fanboys love Zelda because of things like Zelda, Link, Ganon, Triforce, Master Sword and adventure. They never notice how one is consider to be puzzle, and the other action. Real Nintendo Fanboys love Marios games because of Mario, Koopas, Toadstools, and Mushrooms. They never noticed that one is 2D action, and the other is 3D puzzle.  Once you start to get into a place where you are looking everything over with a magnify glass. You start to become something that is worst then a fanboy.

His blog has a forum with only 108 register members out of those 108 there are only 12 to 15 consistent posters. His cult is very small.

Just because someone is saying something different. Doesn't mean their point of view is right!

Member Of The Wii Squad: Warriors of Light!

One of the 4 Yonkou of Youtube aka Wii Warlords. Other Members include ThaBlackBaron, Shokio, and Cardy.

@euphoria  i 110% agree, 

Zelda has a problem??? I didnt know, bad storylines?? WTF?? there all pretty much variations of save Hyrule/Zelda over and over again. the only one that changed things up was Majora's Mask (my favorite). How is the LTTP story better than the recent ones?? There was more combat in the originals?? maybe but it wasnt like it was deep combat anyway.

Umm...Zelda to me was the first sand-box game I ever played in a time where 95% of the games were side scrollers and in many of them the screen was moving.

Zelda is fine in my opinion. Sure they have experimented with the series, which I take as good because the poorer sales from differing from the tried and true formula squashes any urge to repeat the ridiculous train in the game experiment again. Then again, I may be wrong and Nintendo may still take liberties with the gameplay.

As for Malstrom, his whole philosophy and key to video games becoming mainstream is a revival of video game arcades in malls and arcade games.

If video games could be compared to politics, then Malstrom's view would be a right-wing reactionary who is eagerly active in getting the world back to the "good ole' days."

Malstrom ain't bleeding edge or progressive in his view of video games.

@soriku that was great!!! i love it??

ill admit i saw MM i was like WTF, but its my fav one in the series now, When i got past the cell shading in WW its a damn good game. The wolf thing freaked me out in TP but goddamn if i dont like that form, i acually didnt want to go back to playing as human Link. Matter of fact i wouldnt mind the next portable Zelda be all Wolf Link all the time.

oh great, this again. Zelda has NEVER been about combat . Miyamoto himself said the game was inspired by him exploring the countryside where he grew up. It's about exploration and puzzle-solving which requires the player to use their head. Malstroms is nothing more than a self-entitled brat.