By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - I got a new laptop! What games will it be able to handle?

You can play StarCraft II on medium graphics settings. As for CPU stuff, keep it on low settings.

4200 integrated graphics aren't that great. My friend has them in his desktop and is like, my monitor is better than yours (which doesn't fucking matter since he's running integrated graphics, fail). It will play SC2, but don't run anything in the background so you can get maximum performance. I even got SC2 running on ATi Radeon X1950 graphics, so anything is possible.

Around the Network

X1950 is actually stronger than the 4200 onboard for gaming, so that doesn't really matter mate. 4200 discrete cards were rubbish, and the onboard version isn't doing it any favours. 
Forget about playing the Witcher 2, unless you want a slide show. SC II will run, but will look quite ugly, esp if you're use to HD console graphics. But it also depends alot on your tolerance. i know some people can game on the pc fine at 20-30 fps. Me on the other hand, can't stand anything under 50 lol.
Overall, the 4200 is probably better though if you plan on watching movies and stuff. But don't think you can complain too much, you did get a good deal for it. So be happy =D

Also slimebeast is correct. The xbox360 is actually faster than his laptop, esp for gaming. 

Slimebeast said:

Honestly that's a poor machine. Much weaker than an X360. Expect to play all games on low settings except for Starcraft II perhaps on medium. And The Witcher 2 is unplayable obviously lol.

This guy is right on the ball. Not a good gaming laptop at all: low to medium settings. It is an ok laptop to do non-gaming activities. 

yo_john117 said:

Just to let you guys know the 90% of the games I play on computers are games like Starcraft (RTS) and the majority of them aren't too demanding. And to be clear I did not buy my new laptop for gaming, I bought it so I could have a decent laptop finally that would be able to at least handle most of the games I want and not freeze on a daily basis.

I just wanted to know what I could expect for gaming while I wait for Starcraft 2 to download.

I can play not demanding games @1280x800 res and medium (or even highest for the oldest games) settings on my laptop that's older and slower than yours, a 2GHz Turion with integrated X1250 graphics, so you should be OK for most games. Since even mid-low end chipsets have been able to output at least high res at comfortable frame rates, initially 1024x768, later a minimum of 1280x800, medium and low settings aren't so bad anymore. Even less on a 15.6" screen, where you don't need higher level AA like on bigger screens to make edges look smooth, for example.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Ok so I've played Shogun 2, a bit of Civ V, Starcraft 2, and Cities XL....all of them are on medium (except for Shogun 2 which is a hybrid of low and medium settings) and they run perfectly fine! 

Lovin my new computer so far, it hasn't froze once!!

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

Lenova is a great brand. :D 

Easily my new favorite laptop brand, my thinkpad=perfect school laptop

Good choice, John! 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

yo_john117 said:

Ok so I've played Shogun 2, a bit of Civ V, Starcraft 2, and Cities XL....all of them are on medium (except for Shogun 2 which is a hybrid of low and medium settings) and they run perfectly fine! 

How are you finding SC2 the game? Done placement matches?

dsister said:
yo_john117 said:

Good choice, John!

Lenovo. If you respect the brand, at least give it its proper name :O

dsister said:
yo_john117 said:

Good choice, John! 

Yeah I was gonna go with either a Lenovo, Toshiba, or Samsung.....and the Lenovo was the best price with pretty good features.

I was staying far far away from Dell, Acer, HP and the likes of them.

Soleron said:
yo_john117 said:

How are you finding SC2 the game? Done placement matches?

I've just played the first mission so far (since I have so many other PC games to play) but its a pretty fun RTS.