By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - I got a new laptop! What games will it be able to handle?

http://www.yougamers.com/

That site is similiar to Can You Run It?, but more accurate. Check it out.

Around the Network
mchaza said:
Slimebeast said:

Honestly that's a poor machine. Much weaker than an X360. Expect to play all games on low settings except for Starcraft II perhaps on medium. And The Witcher 2 is unplayable obviously lol.

thats wrong right there. 

I dont see an better processor and more ram == much weaker than X360. 

The Mobility Radeon 4200 is an integrated graphics chip, not a separate GPU like the Xbox 360 has. And we all know that gaming performance is mainly determined (bottlenecked) by the GPU rather than the CPU.

The GPU in the X360 is equvalent to something between a Radeon X800 and Radeon X1800 (from 2004 and 2005 respectively).

Look at this hierarchy chart. The Mobility Radeon HD 4200 is below both, it's even weaker than the X800 GPU from 2004:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2404-7.html

Check out this benchmark (Mobility Radeon 4200 is the same as 785G):
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_785g_performance/page8.asp

Only 24 frames per second in Fallout 3 at 1024x768 res on medium settings. That's clearly worse than Fallout 3 on a X360.

This is how gaming is in real life on a Mobility Radeon 4200:

thetonestarr said:

You probably won't be able to play on full settings. However, you WILL be able to play basically any game that's out there right now at minimum settings, which should be more than good enough for you. You should never, EVER expect top-notch gaming from a laptop.

THIS right here.

If you want top notch gaming, laptop should not be on the list of options.  a equivalent laptop to desktop will be like at least double the price.  and for most part you can not even come close no matter how amazing of a laptop you buy to what things you can put into a desktop

Baalzamon said:
yo_john117 said:
Baalzamon said:

Well, you will at least be able to play any and all games on the lowest settings.  Starcraft really isn't that demanding, you may be able to hit medium with it.

Do you mind my asking how much you paid for this machine?

$379 plus tax

Oh dam, here I thought you were going to say like $600 and I'd let you know how badly you got ripped off.

Lol yeah i'd say I got a pretty good price for this new computer....especially considering basically every other computer there (best buy) had computers with about the same stats as this one and they had an intel HD graphics card (which sucks) and cost around $100 more....The cheapest laptop that was actually better then this one was $750

Just to let you guys know the 90% of the games I play on computers are games like Starcraft (RTS) and the majority of them aren't too demanding. And to be clear I did not buy my new laptop for gaming, I bought it so I could have a decent laptop finally that would be able to at least handle most of the games I want and not freeze on a daily basis.

I just wanted to know what I could expect for gaming while I wait for Starcraft 2 to download.

Around the Network
mchaza said:
Baalzamon said:
mchaza said:

Laptops aren't gaming machines and the laptops that are are over expensive and have no battery life so is basically an desk computer. 

Just thought I'd peep in about this.  Gaming laptops don't have to be overly expensive.  You can buy for aruond $900 a 2.0 ghz quad core dual threaded i7, 6gb of 1333 mhz ram, 1gb dedicated graphics card, 16" screen.  I know this isn't an epicly amazing gaming computer or anything, but something like that can handle some good shit.  Mine is an older model of that and I easily run high on starcraft 2.

whats the battery life on it? 4 hours max. 

Try just over 1 while browsing the internet.  I've never even tried it playing games, probably about 35 or 40 minutes.  As the comment below yours stated, however, gaming laptops aren't about the battery life.  They are about having a laptop that can play games on medium to high resolution, that is extremely easy to move from place A to place B.  This isn't the case with a desktop, because they are an absolute pain in the ass to move.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

yo_john117 said:

Just to let you guys know the 90% of the games I play on computers are games like Starcraft (RTS) and the majority of them aren't too demanding. And to be clear I did not buy my new laptop for gaming, I bought it so I could have a decent laptop finally that would be able to at least handle most of the games I want and not freeze on a daily basis.

I just wanted to know what I could expect for gaming while I wait for Starcraft 2 to download.

Yea, you will totally be fine on Starcraft 2.  Matter of fact, I'll let you in on a little secret.  Sometimes I'll switch Starcraft over to the lowest settings anyways, because it is much easier for my eyes to handle and it seems you can see things easier in the background.

Baalzamon said:
yo_john117 said:

Yea, you will totally be fine on Starcraft 2.  Matter of fact, I'll let you in on a little secret.  Sometimes I'll switch Starcraft over to the lowest settings anyways, because it is much easier for my eyes to handle and it seems you can see things easier in the background.

Lol thats a bit odd...too much going on?

yo_john117 said:
Baalzamon said:
yo_john117 said:

Lol thats a bit odd...too much going on?

Well, the background is simpler on low settings, so I think units and whatnot stick out a little more or something.  I have no clue, I probably sound like an idiot, haha.

yo_john117 said:

total war is too demanding if you like total war latest entries, I tired playing Empire on bad graphics and it was bad.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong