By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - being gay a choice vs born that way.

being gay a choice vs born that way.

It's a lifestyle choice 120 25.53%

Your born that way 250 53.19%

no opinion 36 7.66%

other---for anything I missed 62 13.19%

Total:468
sapphi_snake said:

The thing is that, regardless of what makes someone be attracted to people of the same sex, homosexual sex isn't something that can be considered objectively wrong (such as murder), therefore there is no logical reason why people should be ostracized for practicing it.

Actually I think  it's "the wrong" (a whole list of them) which  makes it's attractive. People are rebels by nature. 
Now if you want to say people are born to rebel then I agree. But overcoming this inward rebellion is what separate a man /lady from being animals.

Around the Network

Its definitely a choice.

I doubt people are born with any sort of sexuality. I mean, most people aren't even born knowing the difference between male and females. I don't think I liked girls until I was about five years old. It probably would have been even later if external influences didn't teach me that man and woman were meant to be together.

I doubt people make a choice either. I think the majority of sexual orientations are determined because of a child's perception of the outside world. If the world were most gay and rarely straight, then I think many children would be gay because of their perception of society.

So, basically, a person's sexuality is dependant upon society, moreso than choice or being born a certain way.

Jay520 said:

I doubt people are born with any sort of sexuality. I mean, most people aren't even born knowing the difference between male and females. I don't think I liked girls until I was about five years old. It probably would have been even later if external influences didn't teach me that man and woman were meant to be together.

I doubt people make a choice either. I think the majority of sexual orientations are determined because of a child's perception of the outside world. If the world were most gay and rarely straight, then I think many children would be gay because of their perception of society.

So, basically, a person's sexuality is dependant upon society, moreso than choice or being born a certain way.

People aren't born with adult teeth, but we know they're going to grow them. Born gay doesn't mean they are sexually attracted to the same sex as babies, it means that whether or not they will be attracted to the same sex is determined from birth.

its largely environmental, so its a choice.

no one is born Gay.

but no one should hate gays, you should love the person and hate the sin.

edit: people (espcecially mods, learn what homophobia means, its one of the most misused term that is just thrown out there, to try to discredit peoples arguments)

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:

I think 1/1000 gay people are born that way.

The rest become like that due to... Well, maybe I shouldn't say what I think... The rest choose to be gay.

I won't discriminate against someone for that since we all do some strange stuff, but I do think its unnatural and perverted.

i wish there was a like button, its a shame that people get banned for this.

if he gets banned for saying having this opinion in a thread asking for it, then all people who have dissenting opinions should be banned.

osamanobama said:

no one is born Gay.

edit: people (espcecially mods, learn what homophobia means, its one of the most misused term that is just thrown out there, to try to discredit peoples arguments)

Homophobia means a prejudice against homosexuality.

The "-phobia" bit on the end is actually a bit of a misnomer, it doesn't really mean an irrational fear of homosexuality.

Also I agree that Dr.Grass didn't deserve to be banned for that comment, not when the topic is about whether being gay is a choice.

osamanobama said:

no one is born Gay.

Choice implies something that you have control over. That is completely false. Nobody gets up, decides what they are going to wear for the day, and while they're at it, why not live out the rest of their lives in one of the most socially rejected groups in human history.

Smidlee said:
sapphi_snake said:

The thing is that, regardless of what makes someone be attracted to people of the same sex, homosexual sex isn't something that can be considered objectively wrong (such as murder), therefore there is no logical reason why people should be ostracized for practicing it.

Actually I think  it's "the wrong" (a whole list of them) which  makes it's attractive. People are rebels by nature. 
Now if you want to say people are born to rebel then I agree. But overcoming this inward rebellion is what separate a man /lady from being animals.

Did you just compare homosexuality to being animal?

Here's an exercise to all the hetero people who are still convinced that homosexuality is a choice:

If homosexuality is a choice made by someone, then it must be a choice that everyone has the ability to make. I dare you to sit down and "choose" to be attracted to the same gender. Let's see hpw far you go on that. And when you fail, and realise just how wrong it feels, keep in mind that that's how millions of gays forced to lived a heterosexual life feel like all the time.