Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What can Nintendo do at E3 to save the Wii?

What can Nintendo do at E3 to save the Wii?

No. Nintendo won't bothe... 178 39.21%

Yes, but it won't work 20 4.41%

Yes, and it will work 89 19.60%

Who cares? IT'S FOR KIDZ!!! 38 8.37%

Booth...Babes... 48 10.57%

See results 80 17.62%

Total:453
Soriku said:
Squilliam said:

NES 6 supports Wii motion ... I believe they will use it as a bridge game to 'show' that the NES 6 supports both control schemes to encourage Wii owners to bring their stack of controllers and upgrade.

That sounds incredibly pointless. Really, showing the Cafe can support an add on like Motion Plus is your big idea to transfer Wii owners to the Cafe? Nintendo isn't going to do that. And like i said, Nintendo confirmed SS for 2011 multiple times recently.

It isn't my big idea but it does make sense that people who would want to play Zelda SS would have a Wiimote handy and it also makes sense that the NES 6 support. Why wouldn't they release an updated version for the NES 6 at launch? Zelda worked extremely well for them with the Wii.

Tease.

Around the Network

They already have a price drop with mario kart and knowing nintendo, a lot of advertising will follow.

and their introducing the budget Wii software range.

i think now their targeting the wii at first time console buyers and focusing cafe on the core market.

i can see the strategy for the wii working very well but not cafe's.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-03-budget-wii-software-range-planned

dany612 said:

I HAVEN'T SEEN A WII COMMERCIAL IN SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG! In fact I failed to see it being advertised during the holidays and have yet to see one. Yet you see a PS3 or 360 AD a lot.  OTher thing, I only saw 2 3DS commercials since it luanched. Like wth Nintendo? You cant soley rely on word of mouth.

i think they will with zelda and reduced price mario kart bundle.

Squilliam said:
Soriku said:
Squilliam said:

NES 6 supports Wii motion ... I believe they will use it as a bridge game to 'show' that the NES 6 supports both control schemes to encourage Wii owners to bring their stack of controllers and upgrade.

That sounds incredibly pointless. Really, showing the Cafe can support an add on like Motion Plus is your big idea to transfer Wii owners to the Cafe? Nintendo isn't going to do that. And like i said, Nintendo confirmed SS for 2011 multiple times recently.

It isn't my big idea but it does make sense that people who would want to play Zelda SS would have a Wiimote handy and it also makes sense that the NES 6 support. Why wouldn't they release an updated version for the NES 6 at launch? Zelda worked extremely well for them with the Wii.

TP moved from a traditonal controller to the Wii to show off the Wii's motion controls and they could afford to delay it. This is much different from moving the game from Motion Plus to a likely different, possibly traditional control scheme. It's not worth the effort. By the time Cafe releases SS will be out for quite a while. It's much better to show off the Cafe's capabilties with different games. They don't need to port over an older game which will look like a Wii game (GC to Wii capabilities wouldn't be nearly as far off as Wii to Cafe).

fps_d0minat0r said:
dany612 said:

I HAVEN'T SEEN A WII COMMERCIAL IN SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG! In fact I failed to see it being advertised during the holidays and have yet to see one. Yet you see a PS3 or 360 AD a lot.  OTher thing, I only saw 2 3DS commercials since it luanched. Like wth Nintendo? You cant soley rely on word of mouth.

i think they will with zelda and reduced price mario kart bundle.

If they don't then I don't see how the bundle can do anything significant to raise Wii sales other than selling a bit more.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Squilliam said:

TP moved from a traditonal controller to the Wii to show off the Wii's motion controls and they could afford to delay it. This is much different from moving the game from Motion Plus to a likely different, possibly traditional control scheme. It's not worth the effort. By the time Cafe releases SS will be out for quite a while. It's much better to show off the Cafe's capabilties with different games. They don't need to port over an older game which will look like a Wii game (GC to Wii capabilities wouldn't be nearly as far off as Wii to Cafe).

Do you know that Nintendo makes their games in high definition and then downscales them for the Wii? Effectively if they release a version for Cafe they will be showing off the assets they have already produced for the game and that is effectively no additional effort.

With regards to controls they could choose to only support the Wii motion + controls or they could decide to offer a hydrid of the two. Most people buying the NES 6 will probably already own the Wii and it is unlikely that Nintendo will want people to forget about using their Wii games on the NES 6, I think they'll want people to keep using the Wii mote even if the base controller on the NES 6 is different. If Microsoft can support both Kinect and Analogue, Nintendo certainly could support both popular control methods.

Tease.

Wii is Nintendo's biggest software market for the next year, probably the next two years depending on how 3DS grows (not looking good) and how Wii 2 launches.  I don't know that they care about Wii hardware sales too much anymore so long as software sales remain strong.

That said, Wii sales should perk up quite a bit on the price cut. Look at the lift the PSP had in the USA after its February cut - and PSP has a hell of a lot less momentum in the USA than Wii does.

If you go by Nintendo's forecast, you'd expect a split of something like 1-1.5m Wiis in Japan/ 6.5m Wiis Americas / 5m - 5.5m Wiis in EMEAA. Essentially that's:

Americas: 10 Months at 350k shipped (3.5m), 1m in November, 2m in December. If you take the January - April avg of Wii in the USA, you get about 75,000 per week - I don't think 75k for the entirety of the Americas is too hard with a price cut. That's 6.5m.

EMEAA: 10 Months 300k shipped (3.0m), 750k in November, 1.65m in December. Again, not super high figures, doable with the price cut and some games. That's 5.3m.

Japan: 10 Months 60k shipped (600k), 400k (Dec), 200k (Jan).

For software, the 120m (and 11m copies of Mario Kart bundled) probably breaks down like this:

Mario Kart (bundled): 11m

DKCR, Wii Party, Epic Yarn, Metroid, Galaxy 2, other 2010 Nintendo SW: 10m

Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Sports (debundled): 10m

Wii Play 2: 10m

Zelda: 8m

Kirby (Hal): 3m

Rhythm Heaven: 2m

Minor Nintendo Games: 2m

EA / Act / Ubisoft Games (excluding dancing): 20m

Just Dance 1-3 & Kids: 10m

Other Dancing / Fitness Games: 10m

Zumba Games: 5m

DQX: 4m (March 2012?)

Lego Games: 3m

Mario & Sonic: 3m

DQ Collection: 1m

...and then 20m for whatever is left. Probably 3-5m for other Japanese games, 5m for THQ games, and whatever else I missed. There could also be sales for big sequels for major Nintendo / third party content we don't know about yet.

The goal essentially isn't to push Wii back to 26m in a year, but to keep it as a big market. Wii / DS were a nearly 300m market last year for software - that won't dissappear overnight, so Nintendo's goal is simply to keep Wii / DS SW at relevant levels (>10m) for a while 3DS / Cafe come on as big markets.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Squilliam said:
Soriku said:
Squilliam said:

Do you know that Nintendo makes their games in high definition and then downscales them for the Wii? Effectively if they release a version for Cafe they will be showing off the assets they have already produced for the game and that is effectively no additional effort.

With regards to controls they could choose to only support the Wii motion controls or they could decide to offer a hydrid of the two. Most people buying the NES 6 will probably already own the Wii and it is unlikely that Nintendo will want people to forget about using their Wii games on the NES 6, I think they'll want people to keep using the Wii mote even if the base controller on the NES 6 is different. If Microsoft can support both Kinect and Analogue, Nintendo certainly could support both popular control methods.

Where did you get this info about Nintendo downscaling Wii games? Never heard of that.

Also, I think the best way for them to make people not forget the Cafe can play Wii games is to release Wii games even during the release of the Cafe, possibly something major, similar to how they released Pokemon Black/White on the DS despite the 3DS's release.

I don't know what you think, but do you think Nintendo will continue to release a few notable Wii games in 2012 for Cafe owners to make use of the Wii BC? Because I don't think having a barren landscape for 2012 (at least outside of EU, where they said there are more surprises in 2012 for Wii, but who knows if those are just late releases/localizations that released in 2011 in NA) and then making a random late port is a good idea. Also remember that Pokemon Black/White never got any extra 3DS features btw.

Soriku said:
Squilliam said:

With regards to controls they could choose to only support the Wii motion controls or they could decide to offer a hydrid of the two. Most people buying the NES 6 will probably already own the Wii and it is unlikely that Nintendo will want people to forget about using their Wii games on the NES 6, I think they'll want people to keep using the Wii mote even if the base controller on the NES 6 is different. If Microsoft can support both Kinect and Analogue, Nintendo certainly could support both popular control methods.

Where did you get this info about Nintendo downscaling Wii games? Never heard of that.

Also, I think the best way for them to make people not forget the Cafe can play Wii games is to release Wii games even during the release of the Cafe, possibly something major, similar to how they released Pokemon Black/White on the DS despite the 3DS's release.

I don't know what you think, but do you think Nintendo will continue to release a few notable Wii games in 2012 for Cafe owners to make use of the Wii BC? Because I don't think having a barren landscape for 2012 (at least outside of EU, where they said there are more surprises in 2012 for Wii, but who knows if those are just late releases/localizations that released in 2011 in NA) and then making a random late port is a good idea. Also remember that Pokemon Black/White never got any extra 3DS features btw.

It was based off speculation @ beyond3D based off things like the Dolphin emulator and the assets produced as well as rumours etc, I don't have links to specific things but I feel confident in the conclusions made.

I think they will present NES 6 as a super set of the Wii. What this means is that they will keep the Wii branding and extend it so people understand that the Wii line will continue. I think they intend to make Wii games forward compatible so people understand that anything branded 'Wii' will play in both NES 6 and Wii.  I think they will call the NES 6 something like 'Wii Stream' to make people aware it's both a Wii and something more than that just as they called the 3DS an extension of the DS line.

I think any motion controlled game will be sold as a 'Wii' title and any NES 6 exclusives will be sold as 'Stream' titles. Does that make sense to you? This way they won't have any conflict of interest if they make another motion control game which is great they can use it to sell to the current Wii userbase and sell both Wii hardware and NES 6 hardware at the same time. I believe they'd want to make the migration from the Wii as painless as possible.

So I predict when you go into the stores in 2012 you will probably still see the familiar white boxes for Nintendo Wii and you'll also see some blue boxes with 'Stream' branding. They will use their marketing to make it clear that the NES 6 is still a 'Wii' but it is also more than that.

Edit: At this point I think they'll call the new console something like 'Wii Stream' if Stream is indeed the name they use for the NES 6.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

It was based off speculation @ beyond3D based off things like the Dolphin emulator and the assets produced as well as rumours etc, I don't have links to specific things but I feel confident in the conclusions made.

I think they will present NES 6 as a super set of the Wii. What this means is that they will keep the Wii branding and extend it so people understand that the Wii line will continue. I think they intend to make Wii games forward compatible so people understand that anything branded 'Wii' will play in both NES 6 and Wii.  I think they will call the NES 6 something like 'Wii Stream' to make people aware it's both a Wii and something more than that just as they called the 3DS an extension of the DS line.

I think any motion controlled game will be sold as a 'Wii' title and any NES 6 exclusives will be sold as 'Stream' titles. Does that make sense to you? This way they won't have any conflict of interest if they make another motion control game which is great they can use it to sell to the current Wii userbase and sell both Wii hardware and NES 6 hardware at the same time. I believe they'd want to make the migration from the Wii as painless as possible.

So I predict when you go into the stores in 2012 you will probably still see the familiar white boxes for Nintendo Wii and you'll also see some blue boxes with 'Stream' branding. They will use their marketing to make it clear that the NES 6 is still a 'Wii' but it is also more than that.

Hmm...what you say makes sense though it really depends if they're going to keep the Wii brand for the Cafe, otherwise the brandings beecome too conflicting. I still don't really think making a late port of Zelda SS would be that beneficial though since it's too big of a gap between SS and Cafe release. Making a late port only makes sense if they believe that the Cafe version can sell a really good amount over what the Wii version is going to sell (which is going to be a lot). Otherwise, I think other games can better showcase the Cafe's features. Zelda isn't some sort of rite of passage to a new console.