By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What would be the consequences of Scottish independence?

Pyro as Bill said:

Had David Davis won the Conservative leadership, Scotland wouldn't be voting on English affairs anymore and eventually that would have led to either the Scottish Parliament or the UK Parliament disappearing.

Had the Conservative Party not used Alternative Vote, David Davis would have won

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I think that the UK should be nothing more than a defence/foreign policy union and a free trade area. I think that everything else should be down to individual Parliaments, even things like monetary policy.

The Conservative party would win every English election for the rest of time.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

SamuelRSmith said:

I think that the UK should be nothing more than a defence/foreign policy union and a free trade area. I think that everything else should be down to individual Parliaments, even things like monetary policy.

Sounds a lot like what I want for the European Union, actually (except maybe the unified foreign policy, but even that would be nice).

So, in an ideal world, that would completely obsolete the UK.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

trashleg said:
Pyro as Bill said:

It's not that I want Scotland out, I just want England to be alone again. Without Scotland and Wales skewing the votes and enacting legislation against Engllish children, England will be governed by the English.

Shame it won't happen and instead Scotland will get even more money that Wales or NI or god forbid England should get and in 20 years we'll have the same thing all over again. 

Had David Davis won the Conservative leadership, Scotland wouldn't be voting on English affairs anymore and eventually that would have led to either the Scottish Parliament or the UK Parliament disappearing.

That's how I feel too...

I DO think that Scotland and England need different governance. Sadly though, modern politics allows little leeway (can't please all the people all the time) which is why we have this devolved government. To do what's right for Scotland without enforcing those laws nation (Britain)-wide. If Salmond is promising a referendum, let him hold it. I've already said i'm not sure where I stand.

I don't think the UK parliament could ever "disappear", don't be ridiculous.
And you've just said
a) that Scotland shouldn't be involved in English voting and
b) that if they weren't involved one of the Parliaments would disappear. How does that work?

Also, bear in mind that Scotland's entire population is roughly equal to that of London.

(When I go to England for trips, I feel like I'm definitely away from home. The Union Jack is everywhere, it doesn't really feel like my flag, don't you think that's strange?) i definitely feel very un-British. Not on purpose though.

I'm not being ridiculous.

If the English and Scottish Parliaments (lets ignore Wales and NI) UNITE to form a UNITED Kingdom, then what happens when one of those partners goes back to it's old Parliament?

It's either an English Parliament plus a Scottish Parliament OR a UNITED (kingdom) Parliament.

Scotland has it's Parliament so now the Union is nearly broken. We just need England to get a Parliament and we're back to 1706. Unfortunately the Tories are THE Unionist party and they'll allow Scottish MPs to get away with voting on legislation that only affects England and Wales just to preserve the Union. Blocking them from doing so, like David Davis wanted, would at some point end either the UK parliament or the Scottish one.

Would you vote for staying in the UK if it meant the Scottish Parliament had to go? Do you agree that it's only fair for England to have a Parliament now that Scotland has one?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Mel Gibson bravely fought for Scottish independence, but as he's no indigenous, it'll be Sean Connery to reap the fruits of his efforts and become king!

And History repeats itself. First Scotland sent a hard rock band to pillage Australians' hard earned money, now it ruthlessly exploits a mentally disturbed American-Australian alcoholic religious-sexual wacko for its purposes, how mean! But at least usurping  the crown from poor ol' nutty Mel will be the last insult, once independent Scotland won't be able to exploit Australia, Kiribati and other irrelevant Commonwealth members anymore!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

If English recognized Kosovo as independent, they sure as hell must recognize Scotland as indepented. But i wouldnt be suprised if they try to pervent it, western politicians are the very definition of double standard and hypocracy

I wish they would just become independent aleady 

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

pizzahut451 said:

If English recognized Kosovo as independent, they sure as hell must recognize Scotland as indepented. But i wouldnt be suprised if they try to pervent it, western politicians are the very definition of double standard and hypocracy

Uh....  I don't see how the two situations are comprable really.

When was the last time the English sent people into Scotland to murder scots?

Don't see David Cameron or Gordon Brown being tried at the hague for their crimes against Scots.

If Scotland goes independent I can't see much else changing in the UK.

can't see the Welsh wanting independence, and N.Ireland most definitely don't. Wouldn't be benefitial for either country. Although in the future when Ireland builds its economy back up and Sinn Fein get the majority in N.Ireland (because the Catholics are breeding like rabbits here), there might be a 'United Ireland.'

Although there would be civil war of something over that issue.....