By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What would be the consequences of Scottish independence?

Rainbow Yoshi said:
Rath said:
trashleg said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Don't confuse England with Britain/UK. England is the one that's been around for over a thousand years with an incredible history, with a large part devoted to being INVADED by Scotland. The UK is the bastard child that was forcibly created by a SCOTTISH, not English, King.

Act of Union, 1707. Google it. It was the right thing at the time but now people want a change.

Scotland would remain a monarchy. The SNP hate it but the majority of the Scots love it as much as the rest of the UK.

I'm Scottish. I have no time for the monarchy. Guess I'm in the minority then?

I'd propose that the UK seat on the security council be given to the Commonwealth. Share it between England, Scotland, Canada, Australia etc on the condition that France gives it's seat to the EU.

What?

Why did no-one tell me about this thread?

Also, independence or not just look at last year's general election results and you'll see that all but one constituency in Scotland voted left-wing. This alone speaks volumes and should tell you that the current UK cabinet are not what we wanted. Imagine 95% of a group of people voting for labour, and gettin a Tory-Lib Dem cabinet. Why would anyone be happy with that? Scotland's people (the majority of them) voted for one party and are not seeing the effects of this because England tends to have large numbers of Tory votes.

Even on this point alone, its clear that England and Scotland have different interests, and while I'm not clear yet exactly where my mind is on the independence referendum, it is OBVIOUS that the union is no longer as useful (or as united) as it once was.

Scotland should belong to the Scottish people, and they should have the RIGHT to decide whether that means being a state as part of the UK or being their own country. Although the outcome will affect the rest of the UK, it ultimately is up to the people if they want to be independent.

Hopefully David Cameron will back the fuck down and realise this. Doing "everything he can" to oppose this independence, that just screams of oppressive control freakishness.

I think Cameron has already stated he won't oppose the referendum, but he will (for obvious reasons) campaign against independence.

@MrT-Tar. The Netherlands have also been known as Holland for centuries, largely because Holland was politically dominant way back when the Netherlands formed. While it's incorrect, it's not really stupid to refer to the Netherlands as Holland.

It's like calling "Eskimos" "Inuits", they actually don't like being called Inuits.

Other way around I think, at least in some parts Eskimo is considered quite offensive.

Around the Network
Rath said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
Rath said:
trashleg said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Don't confuse England with Britain/UK. England is the one that's been around for over a thousand years with an incredible history, with a large part devoted to being INVADED by Scotland. The UK is the bastard child that was forcibly created by a SCOTTISH, not English, King.

Act of Union, 1707. Google it. It was the right thing at the time but now people want a change.

Scotland would remain a monarchy. The SNP hate it but the majority of the Scots love it as much as the rest of the UK.

I'd propose that the UK seat on the security council be given to the Commonwealth. Share it between England, Scotland, Canada, Australia etc on the condition that France gives it's seat to the EU.

What?

Also, independence or not just look at last year's general election results and you'll see that all but one constituency in Scotland voted left-wing. This alone speaks volumes and should tell you that the current UK cabinet are not what we wanted. Imagine 95% of a group of people voting for labour, and gettin a Tory-Lib Dem cabinet. Why would anyone be happy with that? Scotland's people (the majority of them) voted for one party and are not seeing the effects of this because England tends to have large numbers of Tory votes.

Even on this point alone, its clear that England and Scotland have different interests, and while I'm not clear yet exactly where my mind is on the independence referendum, it is OBVIOUS that the union is no longer as useful (or as united) as it once was.

Scotland should belong to the Scottish people, and they should have the RIGHT to decide whether that means being a state as part of the UK or being their own country. Although the outcome will affect the rest of the UK, it ultimately is up to the people if they want to be independent.

Hopefully David Cameron will back the fuck down and realise this. Doing "everything he can" to oppose this independence, that just screams of oppressive control freakishness.

I think Cameron has already stated he won't oppose the referendum, but he will (for obvious reasons) campaign against independence.

@MrT-Tar. The Netherlands have also been known as Holland for centuries, largely because Holland was politically dominant way back when the Netherlands formed. While it's incorrect, it's not really stupid to refer to the Netherlands as Holland.

It's like calling "Eskimos" "Inuits", they actually don't like being called Inuits.

Other way around I think, at least in some parts Eskimo is considered quite offensive.

The name "Inuit" was used to the ignorance of a Left-Wing person so unfortunately spread out. Yes some might prefer to be called "Inuits", but "Eskimo" is apparently acceptable.

Rainbow Yoshi said:
Rath said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:

The name "Inuit" was used to the ignorance of Left-Wing person so unfortunately spread out. Yes some might prefer to be called "Inuits", but "Eskimo" is apparently acceptable.

Looking on Wikipedia (which is usually pretty reliable) it appears that Eskimo is only acceptable in Alaska and is considered insulting in Canada and Greenland. And to be honest I never knew that before o.O.These things always turn out to be more complicated than you think when you look at them closely.

Rath said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
Rath said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:

The name "Inuit" was used to the ignorance of Left-Wing person so unfortunately spread out. Yes some might prefer to be called "Inuits", but "Eskimo" is apparently acceptable.

Looking on Wikipedia (which is usually pretty reliable) it appears that Eskimo is only acceptable in Alaska and is considered insulting in Canada and Greenland. And to be honest I never knew that before o.O.These things always turn out to be more complicated than you think when you look at them closely.

Yep, life is complicated, frustratingly complicated.

A vote for the SNP does not necessarily mean a vote for independance. Lots of people vote SNP because they're basically giving away a free lunch... paid for by the UK. It's kind of ironic.

The UK (particularly England), as a whole, will win with either result from the referendum. A "Yes" vote would mean that England will no longer have to pay a penny to Scotland, and a "No" vote will give Westminster a better mandate to cut Scotland's budget ("You obviously want to stay in, now you have to pay your own way a bit more).

What I find wholly odd, though, is that the SNP are massively pro-European, and advocate (well, they did in the past), joining the Euro, etc. This baffles me, as they want to gain sovereignty from England, where at least they have a say (disproportionately so, in their favour), just to give it to Europe, where their voice would be even quieter.

I, personally, favour Scottish independance. Let them pay for themselves, and let the Scotts govern the Scotts, the English the English. If it wasn't for Scotland, England wouldn't have had a Labour Government EVER until 1997, and not again since. I'd imagine that we'd be a lot closer to European independance, by now, too.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:

A vote for the SNP does not necessarily mean a vote for independance. Lots of people vote SNP because they're basically giving away a free lunch... paid for by the UK. It's kind of ironic.

The UK (particularly England), as a whole, will win with either result from the referendum. A "Yes" vote would mean that England will no longer have to pay a penny to Scotland, and a "No" vote will give Westminster a better mandate to cut Scotland's budget ("You obviously want to stay in, now you have to pay your own way a bit more).

What I find wholly odd, though, is that the SNP are massively pro-European, and advocate (well, they did in the past), joining the Euro, etc. This baffles me, as they want to gain sovereignty from England, where at least they have a say (disproportionately so, in their favour), just to give it to Europe, where their voice would be even quieter.

I, personally, favour Scottish independance. Let them pay for themselves, and let the Scotts govern the Scotts, the English the English. If it wasn't for Scotland, England wouldn't have had a Labour Government EVER until 1997, and not again since. I'd imagine that we'd be a lot closer to European independance, by now, too.

A no vote is likely. I think the most likely result is that there will be a no vote and the SNP will become somewhat less pro-independence but become Scotlands major party.

Rath said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
Rath said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:

Yeah...that's what race charged language does.

like when someone like Lenox Lewis is called an "African American" even though he's british.

You end up running through a line really... basically changing the words every 10-20 years because about every 10-20 years the last words meant to be the "good" ones end up tools of racism.

trashleg said:
Pyro as Bill said:

What?

You do know who King James was, right? Google it.

Yes, you are in the minority, even in Scotland regards the monarchy.

I hope 'call me Dave' ramps things up, it'll hurt the case for Union. What's so great is that the Lib Dems popularity has dropped so much (unfairly) that they can't be used as an alternative vote. Kinda creates a perfect storm. It's not that I want Scotland out, I just want England to be alone again. Without Scotland and Wales skewing the votes and enacting legislation against Engllish children, England will be governed by the English.

Shame it won't happen and instead Scotland will get even more money that Wales or NI or god forbid England should get and in 20 years we'll have the same thing all over again. 

Had David Davis won the Conservative leadership, Scotland wouldn't be voting on English affairs anymore and eventually that would have led to either the Scottish Parliament or the UK Parliament disappearing.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:

It's not that I want Scotland out, I just want England to be alone again. Without Scotland and Wales skewing the votes and enacting legislation against Engllish children, England will be governed by the English.

Shame it won't happen and instead Scotland will get even more money that Wales or NI or god forbid England should get and in 20 years we'll have the same thing all over again. 

Had David Davis won the Conservative leadership, Scotland wouldn't be voting on English affairs anymore and eventually that would have led to either the Scottish Parliament or the UK Parliament disappearing.

That's how I feel too...

I DO think that Scotland and England need different governance. Sadly though, modern politics allows little leeway (can't please all the people all the time) which is why we have this devolved government. To do what's right for Scotland without enforcing those laws nation (Britain)-wide. If Salmond is promising a referendum, let him hold it. I've already said i'm not sure where I stand.

I don't think the UK parliament could ever "disappear", don't be ridiculous.
And you've just said
a) that Scotland shouldn't be involved in English voting and
b) that if they weren't involved one of the Parliaments would disappear. How does that work?

Also, bear in mind that Scotland's entire population is roughly equal to that of London.

(When I go to England for trips, I feel like I'm definitely away from home. The Union Jack is everywhere, it doesn't really feel like my flag, don't you think that's strange?) i definitely feel very un-British. Not on purpose though.

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.

Unfortunately, the Scottish people would never vote for such a thing. Really, the only reasons that the SNP won this election are that:

• People wanted a way to protest the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition (Scotland is disgustingly left-wing)
  • Labour is a joke under Ed Miliband

I'm not in favour of independence, but I'm not strongly opposed either. On the plus side, Labour would be destroyed as a party and we would stop having our entire country ruled by a minority of Scottish Labour MPs. On the other hand, we have a lot of military bases and the like there - though Salmond says he would be willing to share military facilities with us.

Also, the final decision rests with the Westminster Parliament and David Cameron, not with Alex Salmond, but if he wins his independence referendum, Cameron can hardly deny him independence. It's worth noting, however, that not even a majority of people voted for the Scottish parliament, and the most recent figures in support of independence stand at 28%, with 57% opposed. Granted, that was a year and a half ago, but it still seems quite unlikely. Scotland can't survive without funding from the UK Parliament.

On a related note, in support of an English Parliament: Newsnight found 61% in England, 51% in Scotland and 48% in Wales agreed with the idea.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective