By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft nearing $7 Billion purchase of Skype

I like skype and I this won't change my opinion of it.

Question for Android users: Why can't I find the Skype app on the Android Market on my Xperia 10? Is it not able to run it or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

If it comes to xbox then i will probably use it. And i never even heard of facebook having video sharing and being able to call people. Is this new? Well even if it is i probably won't use it. 

Mr Puggsly said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

No!!! Skype is one of my favorite apps. Hopefully Microsoft doesn't force apple or sony to remove it

Obviously MS wants to keep it available to the masses. I'm more curious about how Sony feels about offering a service owned by MS.

Yeah at the end of the day you can't let all of this exclusivity obsession shit get in the way of making bank. That said now that I think about it, I have to wonder how popular Skype really is on iOS/Android devices and the PSP... Most people use Skype on their computer only. I do use it on my phone because I'm on prepaid and lack a voice plan (meaning I pay the steep by the minute rates) but I have a nice data plus unlimited texting plan. It's cheaper for me to make calls to landlines and mobiles through Skype using 3G (or Wi-Fi when available) than to get a voice plan.

As for Sony offering Skype on PSP/NGP. Like someone else mentioned, Sony Vaio laptops can run Windows (or Linux). At the end of the day sometimes you can't let competitor rivalries get in the way of making bank. There are users out there who use Skype on PSP (If you are in a Wi-Fi zone. The lack of 2G/3G is a drag though) and with NGP coming out with a G model, there will be even more demand for Skype on NGP (some people will inevitably use the NGP as a cheap cellphone substitute even. However since Skype doesn't do 911 calls, I wouldn't recommend you chuck your cell phones...). Sony would be enriching Microsoft by allowing Skype on their devices. But Sony would be depriving themselves of revenue by not allowing Skype on their platforms.

they could integrate it to 360 would work aswell

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

libellule said:
disolitude said:
libellule said:

damn, i liked skype !

;(

I don't udnerstand... Since MS is involved...you must boycott? Why can't you keep loving it?

I will continue to have it, no worry

but I still prefer skype independant or on other hands, that is all ...

It hasn't been independent since 2005. eBay owned it since then and they really haven't done shit with it now that I think about it.

The rediculous growth that Skype is having can only increase once it gets mainstream application support on xbox live and such...

Around the Network

Seriously? What is it with Microsoft and buying people out, do they want world domination or something?

Basically, they are ripping off other companies and shoving their noses into an industry that doesn't want them, just so they FORCE people to use their software and hardware. I am sick to death of having Microsoft shoving inferior (and blatantly copied) products down my throat.

Bing wasn't needed, yet I am constantly getting my it shoved in my face, why do they feel the need to even advertise it.

Let's just hope this falls flat on it's face, along with all of other Microsoft's shenanigans *cough* ZUNE xD *cough*.

MS ruins everything they touch pretty much skype is good if MS buys it I'll probably never use it again unless I have no choice because of a monopoly, MSes favorite thing 

brendude13 said:

Seriously? What is it with Microsoft and buying people out, do they want world domination or something?

Basically, they are ripping off other companies and shoving their noses into an industry that doesn't want them, just so they FORCE people to use their software and hardware. I am sick to death of having Microsoft shoving inferior (and blatantly copied) products down my throat.

Bing wasn't needed, yet I am constantly getting my it shoved in my face, why do they feel the need to even advertise it.

Let's just hope this falls flat on it's face, along with all of other Microsoft's shenanigans *cough* ZUNE xD *cough*.

So as long as we can continue to use Skype on our Androids, iDevices, PSPs, etc. what's the problem? They're not forcing you to switch to Windows Mobile 7, Zune or Xbox to use Skype. People need to get off Microsoft's dick and stop pretending like they are the most evil mofos on the planet. Last I checked, the only way to use Mac OS OFFICIALLY is to buy a Mac computer. Whereas Windows is officially supported across multiple computer brands and smartphone brands. In order to run Mac on PC (apparently this can be done), you basically have to mod the software. And yet Microsoft are the evil ones. Don't like Internet Explorer? Go download Firefox, Chrome, Opera, whatever and you never have to use it again. Don't like Bing? Use Google.

The only thing that really sucks about Microsoft's overwhelming power is that many developers create applications for Windows exclusively and they don't give Linux or Mac enough support. But that fault lies in developer laziness. It's not Microsoft's fault. If you want your apps on Linux or Max, then complain, complain, complain until developers give in. How do you think Android grew as a smartphone platform? The Open-source nerd early adopters demanded Android support from developers, Android got more apps, Android took off in popularity and Android is no longer just for nerds now (same with Firefox. It started out as a nerdy niche and now it's mainstream). If Linux was more user-friendly (like Droid and Firefox) and wasn't just some nerd platform, then maybe the Windows domination wouldn't be so strong.

one question....

couldnt micorosft make something better than skype for that amount of money??

i mean just look at it....its a way of talking through the internet, surely it would cost way less than 7bn to make something similar.

fps_d0minat0r said:

one question....

couldnt micorosft make something better than skype for that amount of money??

i mean just look at it....its a way of talking through the internet, surely it would cost way less than 7bn to make something similar.

They probably could and do it better...but there is no guarantee that it would have the 150 million users that Skype has.

Microsoft basically bought 150 million users with 8.5 billion dollars. Skype had 30% growth every year for the last 4 years, and once it hits mainstream services like Xbox live and is native in Windows 8...it should easily double in a few years.