By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft nearing $7 Billion purchase of Skype

I think the big selling - or buying point is the subscribers.

Combining MSN and Skype gives MS a massive user base.

Apart from that I don't see the point of buying Skype when they could have easily improved what they already have, MSN. What can Skype do that MS couldn't get going on MSN?

But as Squillian mentioned Facebook is looking to dominate this video calling business and they have huge userbase.

Around the Network

That's $1 per person on Earth. Just wow. I don't know how Skype will make that money back, but I really hope they don't change it too much or start charging fees for things that used to be free.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

I use the Skype Android app on my phone. Here in Canada you can use 3G connectivity to make calls with it (you can't in the US apparently) though at home or places where I have Wi-Fi access, I use that.

I don't know what's with all this talk that Facebook voice chat can replace Skype. No it can't. You can call actual phone numbers with Skype (though obviously this costs money).

Since MS is going to continue to allow non-Microsoft platforms (like Android, iPhone, Playstation Portable, etc.) I don't see what the problem is. Microsoft would be idiots if they made it exclusive to Microsoft platforms. I wouldn't give up my Droid for a WM7 phone just to use Skype on the go.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/corpnews/liveevent.aspx

Press conference about the acquisition is on now

Skype will be its own  division within Microsoft, good sign

SpartenOmega117 said:

No!!! Skype is one of my favorite apps. Hopefully Microsoft doesn't force apple or sony to remove it

Obviously MS wants to keep it available to the masses. I'm more curious about how Sony feels about offering a service owned by MS.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

No!!! Skype is one of my favorite apps. Hopefully Microsoft doesn't force apple or sony to remove it

Obviously MS wants to keep it available to the masses. I'm more curious about how Sony feels about offering a service owned by MS.

The same way they feel about putting Windows on Sony Viao computers

Vetteman94 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

The same way they feel about putting Windows on Sony Viao computers

Good point, Sony handles PCs and Playstations exactly the same.

/sarcasm

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I expect to be able to call people from my 360, then.  And maybe a skype based Kinect game.  They could combine the name Skype and Kinect like they combined the names Kinect and animals to create Kinectimals.  What's a cool name?  I guess they could call it "Skynect"

......Sky...Net?  OH MY GOD!!!  It's happening again!!

d21lewis said:

I expect to be able to call people from my 360, then.  And maybe a skype based Kinect game.  They could combine the name Skype and Kinect like they combined the names Kinect and animals to create Kinectimals.  What's a cool name?  I guess they could call it "Skynect"

*drops cup of coffee* (embedding disabled by request) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_6560AW1zQ

......Sky...Net?  OH MY GOD!!!  It's happening again!!

LMAO

It may be expensive but I think the linking of Skype to Live and to the Office 365 (Lync) products will be brilliant news for Microsoft in the long run.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.