By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft nearing $7 Billion purchase of Skype

Xenostar said:
Squilliam said:

To be honest Skype is worthless the instant Facebook offers a voice messaging service. This is stupid...

You might have something there, like it certainly would be a huge dent to it, but skype is used alot in business and it allows you to have an actual ringable phone number.

Well Facebook is already used a lot in business as well, businesses could easily make it their one stop shop for customers.

Tease.

Around the Network

but isnt skype sucessful because of the number of platforms its on?

if microsoft buy it and make it exclusive to only thier systems its users will go down....

fps_d0minat0r said:

but isnt skype sucessful because of the number of platforms its on?

if microsoft buy it and make it exclusive to only thier systems its users will go down....

Well that would be insane if they made it MS OS exclusive, cos that would kill it, but dont forget MS have bought companies in the past just to remove them as competition. Could be happening again but 7Bn would be alot to be doing that. 

Well... I've only ever used it on Windows.

But if they make it a Microsoft Exclusive it's gonna be reaaaaaaaaaaally shitty.

Squilliam said:

To be honest Skype is worthless the instant Facebook offers a voice messaging service. This is stupid...

i was just about to ask if skype was actually worth that price tag but this sounds as good of an answer as any. 

i guess i'm not all that familur with skype but it didn't seem like it has that bright of a future to me..not 8 billion worth anyways.

Around the Network

hmm don't know if the price is good all i know is that i'm in the poker-scene and we all use skype a lot

Microsoft have confirmed that this has happened, for $8.5 billion

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/may11/05-10CorpNewsPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press Releases

I doubt they'll remove it from other platforms though that'd be retarded

Shorty11857 said:

Microsoft have confirmed that this has happened, for $8.5 billion

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/may11/05-10CorpNewsPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press Releases

I doubt they'll remove it from other platforms though that'd be retarded

They wont...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/microsofts-acquisition-of-skype-for-8-5-billion-becomes-offici/

"Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices, and Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities. Microsoft will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms."

Squilliam said:

Err...yeah but that is

A. facebook proprietary technology, MS can't generate revenue with it

B. Not nearly as robust as skype

C. not going to be integrated to Xbox live and Windows phone 7

I am a little dissapointed that MS couldn't just make their own service instead of blowing all this $$$ on something that others can R&D themselves...but this is a very sound business decision on MS's part. Skype should generate about 1 billion dollars in revenue on calls and subscriptions alone per year. Once MS pops some advertising in there, and integrates a known Skype brand it in to its own products like Xbox live and WP7...this will be quite a sound investment.

damn, i liked skype !

;(

Time to Work !