By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I don't understand.. why is the PS3 on top now?

Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:
Michael-5 said:
pezus said:

It's selling below PS2 weekly because it hasn't been adjusted yet...

Doesn't matter. Before the price drop PSP was selling about as well as PS2. Even if sales are inflated by 50%, it's still significantly below all the other current gen systems. I consider it dead, it may crawl around and bleed for 2011, but I'm still ready to give it a grave for Americas.

i would like to give myself the liberty of informing you about vgchartz adjustment patterns.

nearly every time Sony releases financials, their systems get adjusted up. look no further than the ps2 being undertracked by 10 million.

What? Sony recently anounced that 150 million units of PS2's have been shipped, VGC numers should be very accurate with those figures. Also Sony recently had a press cnference at the end of April.

I know there will be adjustments, but the fact is PSP is selling below PS2 sales in Americas, and even with an adjustment, I don't think ales will be that much higher.

Man why do people always burn me on Sony? I said negative things about all the consoles, and people always want to dispue Sony. Too many Sony fans on this site, not a good representation of the market.

i dont understand the bolded. Sony announced about 6 months ago, that 150 million ps3 have been shipped VGchartz has it around 140 million. meaning undertracked. So what exactly are you trying to say, i dont really follow.

as for the other stuff, wait for shipment figures, all Sony consoles will be adjusted up

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Also Sony recently had a press cnference at the end of April.

Delayed to 25th May due Tsunami.

goforgold said:
Mr Puggsly said:
pezus said:
Michael-5 said:

I'd say PS2 is only really alive in EMEAA. In Japan sales are 1/3rd to half 360's (which I consider dead in Japan), and they are very weak in Americas.

I'm going with PS2 being a vegetable in Americas. It's only a matter of time until Sony pulls to cord.

Why should they? Free money

Well at this rate retailers are gonna stop requesting PS2 consoles (I'm sure they are requesting less and less already) and there are plenty of used ones to go around.

PS2 is basically dead. Sony could do plenty to keep it relevant as a budget console. But I guess the profits it earns and could potentially earn isn't worth anything to Sony.

which is why they still sell it???

Did you even read what I said?

My point is PS2 could have had a lot more potential as a budget console if it just had some support from Sony. Maybe it would help Sony hold on to some of that casual market PS3 doesn't have.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

pezus said:

360 numbers in Japan are not undertracked like PSP numbers in Americas. Also, how can you say VGChartz numbers for the PS2 are accurate?? They're about 8-10 millions off...

Sony fans have been aruging about PS2 numbers for months now. If the VGChartz numbers are really off I think adjustments would have been made already.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

Man why do people always burn me on Sony? I said negative things about all the consoles, and people always want to dispue Sony. Too many Sony fans on this site, not a good representation of the market.

I got what you were saying. Just don't let your frustrations cloud a good argument

I'm very happy that you understand. Given that in the past we have had many stupid arguements, it's nice that you understand me.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
pezus said:
Michael-5 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
pezus said:
Michael-5 said:

I'd say PS2 is only really alive in EMEAA. In Japan sales are 1/3rd to half 360's (which I consider dead in Japan), and they are very weak in Americas.

I'm going with PS2 being a vegetable in Americas. It's only a matter of time until Sony pulls to cord.

Why should they? Free money

Well at this rate retailers are gonna stop requesting PS2 consoles (I'm sure they are requesting less and less already) and there are plenty of used ones to go around.

PS2 is basically dead. Sony could do plenty to keep it relevant as a budget console. But I guess the profits it earns and could potentially earn isn't worth anything to Sony.

This was my point exactly, why do people always have troule undertanding my point about Sony consoles?

It's still selling because it's basically dead. I would be surprised if 2011 shipments were anywhere near 1 millon.

If I said 360 was dead in Japan, I would get nowhere near this type of feedback, and I believe I said that... Too many blind PS3 supporters, arguing with every little comment.

360 numbers in Japan are not undertracked like PSP numbers in Americas. Also, how can you say VGChartz numbers for the PS2 are accurate?? They're about 8-10 millions off...

Wow common, your too hard on me. PSP in Americas is oviously doing better then 360 in Japan. I know PSP sales will be adjusted in Americas, I just don't beleive it will be by too much. PSP sales were aproaching PS2 sales before the price drop, assuming a large adjustment, I still don't think PSP sales will be near DS, 3DS, Wii, PS3, or 360 sales in Americas. PSP is trailing behind, it's not quite dead yet, but in my eyes, with so few titles upcoming, it's basically dead to me. So I don't take back what I said about PSP being dead in Americas, and I don't see any reason to.

Also, only 3 months ago Sony announced PS2 shippments were 150 million. This means sales are likely 3-5 million below that. VGC has PS2 at about 143 million units sold. PS2 may be undertracked, but not by 8-10 million, more like 2-5 million.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

osamanobama said:
Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:

i would like to give myself the liberty of informing you about vgchartz adjustment patterns.

nearly every time Sony releases financials, their systems get adjusted up. look no further than the ps2 being undertracked by 10 million.

What? Sony recently anounced that 150 million units of PS2's have been shipped, VGC numers should be very accurate with those figures. Also Sony recently had a press cnference at the end of April.

I know there will be adjustments, but the fact is PSP is selling below PS2 sales in Americas, and even with an adjustment, I don't think ales will be that much higher.

i dont understand the bolded. Sony announced about 6 months ago, that 150 million ps3 have been shipped VGchartz has it around 140 million. meaning undertracked. So what exactly are you trying to say, i dont really follow.

as for the other stuff, wait for shipment figures, all Sony consoles will be adjusted up

What don't you understand? my gramer is correct.

Sony announced shipping over 150 million units in 2011, not 6 months ago.

Also VGC has PS2 at 142.8 million sold, which may be a little undertracked, but not by as much as some people claim.

Get your facts straight before critisizing me again.

Thank you Ethomaz, I was not aware that the Tsunami postponed the Sony Press Conference. I think I read that somewhere, but completly forgot. I'll be looking forward to seeing how much PSP sales get adjusted.

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

I got what you were saying. Just don't let your frustrations cloud a good argument

I'm very happy that you understand. Given that in the past we have had many stupid arguements, it's nice that you understand me.

Yeah, I don't hate ya Mike. Opinions will be, but reaching common ground and having civil discussions are always welcome in my book.

Specific to this topc, I definitely understood what you were saying.

It's really important to come to terms with people who have a very different opinion then you on the market. It's also really nice being about to debate with someone intelligent on this website.

BTW No hard felings about the GT5 debate, I just disagree with you, and am looking forward to seeing the outcome. Hope I'm right though, so I can make ethomaz's profile picture the FM4 icon.

Michael-5 said:

Thank you Ethomaz, I was not aware that the Tsunami postponed the Sony Press Conference. I'll be looking forward to seeing how much PSP sales get adjusted.

You're welcome.

Like @CGI said... not because we discussed sometimes that I don't like you. You have good points and strong arguments... I just disagree with some  and of course I agree with others .

Edit - I'll never have a picture of FM4 in my profile... I'll win that easy  .

ethomaz said:

Michael-5 said:

Thank you Ethomaz, I was not aware that the Tsunami postponed the Sony Press Conference. I'll be looking forward to seeing how much PSP sales get adjusted.

You're welcome.

Like @CGI said... not because we discussed sometimes that I don't like you. You have good points and strong arguments... I just disagree with some  and of course I agree with others .

Edit - I'll never have a picture of FM4 in my profile... I'll win that easy  .

Yea, you two are actually really fun to debate with. Sometimes it's annoying being the only person on the site standing up for the 360. To be honest, I don't really like mine much, it broke 3 times already, but now I have an HDMI model, and no prolems in the year I owned it.

@CGI  I expect you to rub it in if you win, I did at times say "It has no chance to break 10 million" so if you win, I deserve that. However, now I do acknowledge that GT5 may break 10 million, I just disagree still, but that doesn't matter anymore.