By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hack could cost Sony $318 per account!?

irstupid said:
Jdevil3 said:

I got 4 accounts :P 1 from Argentina, 1 from US, 1 from Spain and 1 from Japan.

I'll cost Sony over $1200 dollars :P

Of course the fake accounts don't count... and I didn't have any CC info on any account so I'll cost Sony $0 Dollars :P and even if I did I wouldn't do anything anyways... because Loyalty and Honor come first before my greed, Lol... I'm kidding :P

Anyways, I believe they should be fine... lots of people have multiple accounts... not all real accounts have CC info and not everyone who has CC info in their accounts will sue Sony.

you guys still don't get it.  This per user amount is a bullshit amount that accounts for nothing.  The estimated costs of this situation is roughly 23 billion dollars.

THAT'S IT.  End of story.  Doesn't matter how many are fake accounts or how many of you don't buy anything on the psn.  This 23 billion dollars doesn't get affected by that.  That 318 is just a bs mathematical number they got by taking 23 billion and dividing it by 70 million.  it means nothing.  The only number that matters is 23 billion.

Oh, I see...

Sony goes bankrupt confirmed!

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Jdevil3 said:

Of course the fake accounts don't count... and I didn't have any CC info on any account so I'll cost Sony $0 Dollars :P and even if I did I wouldn't do anything anyways... because Loyalty and Honor come first before my greed, Lol... I'm kidding :P

Anyways, I believe they should be fine... lots of people have multiple accounts... not all real accounts have CC info and not everyone who has CC info in their accounts will sue Sony.

you guys still don't get it.  This per user amount is a bullshit amount that accounts for nothing.  The estimated costs of this situation is roughly 23 billion dollars.

THAT'S IT.  End of story.  Doesn't matter how many are fake accounts or how many of you don't buy anything on the psn.  This 23 billion dollars doesn't get affected by that.  That 318 is just a bs mathematical number they got by taking 23 billion and dividing it by 70 million.  it means nothing.  The only number that matters is 23 billion.

NOOOOO!!!!! READ THE OP! $318 is the average cost per malicious act in 2010.  You are wrong.  They took the average 2010 cost, multiplied it by 70 million, to get the estimated cost.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Jdevil3 said:
irstupid said:
Jdevil3 said:

Oh, I see...

Sony goes bankrupt confirmed!

Well not necessarily, but it will really destroy the organization if it is truly 23 billion. They would most likely have to sell off strong parts of their organization, but I doubt it is 23 billion. 

Baalzamon said:
irstupid said:
Baalzamon said:

I'm calling bullshit.  First off, there aren't even 70 million true psn users.  You have people who have multiple accounts, etc.  I'd wager there's probably about 20-30 million unique users that have a psn account.

So at $318 per user, you are already down to 9.54 billion for the top.

Secondly, what exactly costs $318 per account?

you guys don't seem to understand.  they are not spending 318 per account doing stuff.

it is estimated to cost them 23 billion dollars to fix this all, whether the money is in actual costs or loss of revenue

the person who wrote the article just divided that number by the psn users #.  Thus the 318.  If you want to say that there are less users, then the 318 is just a higher number.  The 23 billion doesn't change.

its like if the president wants to do something and says it will costs americans $10 each.  IF there were less americans, that doesn't mean the cost is less.  The total costs remains teh same.  The less people the higher the cost per person is.  So lets say obama wants to add 6 billion dollars to medicare.  that is roughly $10 per person.  If tehre are only 300 million people in teh us. then that is now $20 per person.  The 6 billion doesn't change.  Much in the same way this 23 billion doesn't change. 

Did you even read the OP?  It has nothing to do with saying it will cost Sony 23 billion and then dividing by 70 million users.  It specifically says in 2010, the average cost of a security breach was $318 per malicious act (per account).  So taking the 2010 average of $318 per account, and multiplying by 70 million, you then get $22.26 billion.

And as I just stated in my last post, I would have to argue that a loss of revenue is not a cost, but instead the estimated loss of profit would be a much better analysis of what the whole deal actually cost.  I'm not sure if this is how companies do it, but that is the true "cost" to them.

proft as i said means nothing.  by psn being down they are missing out on say 5 million in sales like yous aid.  It does not matter if that woudl have been profit or not.  PSN being down means they don't recieve that 5 million.  Its missed sales.  Its money sony does not get.  Doesn't matter if its profit money or loss money, in the end its MONEY that they don't get.

where do you think they got this 318 average?  from taking total costs associated to situations like this and dividing it by number of accounts.  thus the same thing i was saying.  Sony has to fix this problem that deals with 70 million accounts, it doesn't matter if half of them are fake or not, sony still has to fix the problem.  hell by creating multiple accounts you guys just made sony's problem bigger.  this isn't some per account issue, its something they fix all at once.  the more accounts the harder the problem is to fix. 

The Ponemon Institute,

Gotta catch 'em all? :P

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Around the Network
irstupid said:

where do you think they got this 318 average?

Have you seriously still not read the article?  "The Institute claims that the average cost of a data breach in 2010 was $318 per malicious act." (Can you see it now?).  The average cost of a data breach in 2010 was $318 per malicious act.  That is what this institute came up with.  Based on this average cost from 2010, they are then taking the total number of psn users, 70,000,000, and multiplying by what the average cost per each of those users would be, or $318.  You then get $22.26 billion.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

irstupid said:

But that 23 billion is clearly nonsense. You're saying this little intrusion is going to cost them all the money the playstation brand has made in 20 years? Bam, gone? Unless every single person who's ever made a PSN account decides they need to take serious legal action, there's no chance of it coming remotely close to that cost.

Baalzamon said:
irstupid said:
Baalzamon said:
irstupid said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
irstupid said:

on the news last night they said could cost sony 23 billion dollars.

so that sounds like from same source.  i mean what is 70 million times 318? 

22.3 billion, so yeah.

It sounds like an aweful lot. How can the cost be THAT high? What do they have to do to fix it? I mean, the whole losses of the PS3 so far are like 4.7bn right? So this will cost FIVE times more than all losses the PS3 has taken since launch?

If it's true... poor Sony. Anyway, nothing's for sure yet. Let's wait and see.

well thinking off top of head the costs could be

1. estimated lawsuit for this type of situation.  This isn't the first time in history, so maybe comparing to similar situations

2. if sony refunds psn accounts money.  think i saw article saying this.  While its not exactly a cost, its a loss of revenue

3. cost of oustide help to fix and to improve the security

4. loss of psn sales during downtime, again not exactly a cost but a loss of revenue

and other similar things.  not sure how you come up with figures, but to me a loss of revenue is a cost in my mind.  I mean if lets say in this week they would have made 10 million in revenue, but with psn down they get 0.  to me that is a 10 million cost. 

So in the end they may not have to fork over 23 billion dollars, but it  might be something like they missed out on 10 billion revenue and spent 13 billion on repairs and legal.  so in essenese this ends up costing them 23 billion dollars they would have had if this didn't happen

I personally think an estimated loss in profits due to this would be a much better way to analyze the costs of the situation.  If Sony would have made $5 million on psn in profits for instance, this is what it is costing them.  It isn't costing them the $15 million in revenue that they made.  My numbers are made up, but I think they get the point across.

profit means nothing.

regardless of it its profit or not, sony not getting that $5 million in sales this week is a loss in $5 they could have had, thus an expense of this situation.  doesn't matter if that $5 is profit or not, its money they do not get due to this

I don't think you get what I'm saying.  They may have had to spend $4.5 million in order to get that $5 million, and by psn being down, that $4.5 million is not being spent, simply put, so this is NOT costing them $5 million, it would be costing them $500,000.  No matter what the statements or anybody claims, that IS the true cost to Sony.

you still don't get it.  right now there are thousands of things on psn correct?  these thouands of things are not getting pruchased because of psn being down.  So there are 0 sales.  No REVENUE coming in from thsoe things.  Now what costs are associated to those games?  server costs?  tech support, ect.  Pretty small costs.

What costs are they incuring now trying to fix this situation.  insane.

If psn was not down.  Lets say i sign in and buy COD new map.  whats this cost me $20 or something.  what do you think this costs sony?  a few penies at most.  Now most of that money does go to activision, but still it doesn't cost sony much of anything to host these thousands of games and the support needed.  Sure that dollar ammount may be high, but that dollar amount PER GAME is very very very low.  Just like this article is about. 

To those saying that it took average, then times by 70.  Ok yea, i see that.  So please tell me, how do fake accounts, duplicate accounts ect lower that cost?  how does sony know to ignore these accounts?  thats not how this works.  They dont' go through every account individually.  They need to fix a problem affecting 70 million accounts.  It does not matter if those accounts are nothing more than a login and password.  THis is a figure take by looking at other situations and how much it took to fix them and their account numbers.  THe more account numbers the harder it is to fix

irstupid said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
irstupid said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310436.html

PSN data leak cost could top $24 billion - Report

Data-research firm tells Forbes price tag of PlayStation Network outage could be catastrophic; Sony offers FAQ, timeline as UK gov't readies enquiries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All i gotta say is WOW......that's A LOT of coin right there

what did RROD cost?

1.3 billion.  not on topic at all...lol

was just curious, for a reference.  i know has nothing to do.

just this is video game site, and wanted to see how big of a mistep this is for sony since people talk about how RROD was the most insane thing ever for microsoft

Actually the 1 billion was just the start up money and maybe for the first year of the extended warrenty, there's still the normal warrenty and all operational cost of the warrenty after it, in short we don't have a real number but I would guess it to be double or triple the 1 billion

Baalzamon said:
irstupid said:

where do you think they got this 318 average?

Have you seriously still not read the article?  "The Institute claims that the average cost of a data breach in 2010 was $318 per malicious act." (Can you see it now?).  The average cost of a data breach in 2010 was $318 per malicious act.  That is what this institute came up with.  Based on this average cost from 2010, they are then taking the total number of psn users, 70,000,000, and multiplying by what the average cost per each of those users would be, or $318.  You then get $22.26 billion.

yea i missed that earlier, but still doesn't change fact.

this malicious act average is taken by looking at similart things.  Lets say master card had this problem and use same figures as ps3.  There are 70 million master card holders.  We can all agree that these are ALL legit accounts and not duplicates, or fake names, ect right? 

Now what does master card do?   Do they go through each individual account and fix it?  hell no, they work on teh problem as one big whole.  It costs them 22.26 billion dollars to fix the problem.  It did not cost them 318 per account, it cost them total 22.26 billion dollars.  that 318 is a bullshit number you get by dividing by # of accounts.  It means nothing.  

That 318 is just some average bs number gotten from lookikng at all the costs in the year dealing with this stuff and dividing by # accounts.  It means nothing.  Its just a rough way of guessing how much a situation like this will cost the company.

This could end up costing sony a couple billion, or up to 50 billion who knows.  BUT the fact that half of those 70 million accounts are fake or not means absoultely NOTHING.