By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hack could cost Sony $318 per account!?

I call out everyone who always claimed that 70 million PSN accouts are double/triple accounts or just made up bullshit! we need your arguments now,people!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
irstupid said:

on the news last night they said could cost sony 23 billion dollars.

so that sounds like from same source.  i mean what is 70 million times 318? 

22.3 billion, so yeah.

It sounds like an aweful lot. How can the cost be THAT high? What do they have to do to fix it? I mean, the whole losses of the PS3 so far are like 4.7bn right? So this will cost FIVE times more than all losses the PS3 has taken since launch?

If it's true... poor Sony. Anyway, nothing's for sure yet. Let's wait and see.

The problem however assumes that 70 million users had information that would cause problems. It would be more reasonable to assume much smaller number, but worse comes to worse. Sony will be harmed in the billions and harmed in the media. 

irstupid said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310436.html

PSN data leak cost could top $24 billion - Report

Data-research firm tells Forbes price tag of PlayStation Network outage could be catastrophic; Sony offers FAQ, timeline as UK gov't readies enquiries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All i gotta say is WOW......that's A LOT of coin right there

what did RROD cost?

1.3 billion.  not on topic at all...lol

Troll_Whisperer said:
irstupid said:

22.3 billion, so yeah.

It sounds like an aweful lot. How can the cost be THAT high? What do they have to do to fix it? I mean, the whole losses of the PS3 so far are like 4.7bn right? So this will cost FIVE times more than all losses the PS3 has taken since launch?

well thinking off top of head the costs could be

1. estimated lawsuit for this type of situation.  This isn't the first time in history, so maybe comparing to similar situations

2. if sony refunds psn accounts money.  think i saw article saying this.  While its not exactly a cost, its a loss of revenue

3. cost of oustide help to fix and to improve the security

4. loss of psn sales during downtime, again not exactly a cost but a loss of revenue

and other similar things.  not sure how you come up with figures, but to me a loss of revenue is a cost in my mind.  I mean if lets say in this week they would have made 10 million in revenue, but with psn down they get 0.  to me that is a 10 million cost. 

So in the end they may not have to fork over 23 billion dollars, but it  might be something like they missed out on 10 billion revenue and spent 13 billion on repairs and legal.  so in essenese this ends up costing them 23 billion dollars they would have had if this didn't happen

Acevil said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
irstupid said:

22.3 billion, so yeah.

The problem however assumes that 70 million users had information that would cause problems. It would be more reasonable to assume much smaller number, but worse comes to worse. Sony will be harmed in the billions and harmed in the media. 

Yeah, I don't reckon more than 5/10 mill accounts were actually affected, so in the region of 2.5 billion

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:

I call out everyone who always claimed that 70 million PSN accouts are double/triple accounts or just made up bullshit! we need your arguments now,people!

i'm sure there are at least 10 million accounts that are doubles or triples, ect.  But what does this have to do with the topic?

sony is not going to hand each psn user 318 dollars, this is just a typical.  it will costs sony 23 billion, divide by registered user and we got 318 per user.

I'm calling bullshit.  First off, there aren't even 70 million true psn users.  You have people who have multiple accounts, etc.  I'd wager there's probably about 20-30 million unique users that have a psn account.

So at $318 per user, you are already down to 9.54 billion for the top.

Secondly, what exactly costs $318 per account?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

PizzaFaceGamer said:
irstupid said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310436.html

PSN data leak cost could top $24 billion - Report

Data-research firm tells Forbes price tag of PlayStation Network outage could be catastrophic; Sony offers FAQ, timeline as UK gov't readies enquiries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All i gotta say is WOW......that's A LOT of coin right there

what did RROD cost?

1.3 billion.  not on topic at all...lol

was just curious, for a reference.  i know has nothing to do.

just this is video game site, and wanted to see how big of a mistep this is for sony since people talk about how RROD was the most insane thing ever for microsoft

Seece said:
Acevil said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
irstupid said:

22.3 billion, so yeah.

Yeah, I don't reckon more than 5/10 mill accounts were actually affected, so in the region of 2.5 billion

Totally agreed, but we also need to remember this is worse case possibility and 2.5 billion would still be significant to harm ps3. Honestly if this happens, I hate to look at Sony's financial for Q1-2. 

Baalzamon said:

I'm calling bullshit.  First off, there aren't even 70 million true psn users.  You have people who have multiple accounts, etc.  I'd wager there's probably about 20-30 million unique users that have a psn account.

So at $318 per user, you are already down to 9.54 billion for the top.

Secondly, what exactly costs $318 per account?

you guys don't seem to understand.  they are not spending 318 per account doing stuff.

it is estimated to cost them 23 billion dollars to fix this all, whether the money is in actual costs or loss of revenue

the person who wrote the article just divided that number by the psn users #.  Thus the 318.  If you want to say that there are less users, then the 318 is just a higher number.  The 23 billion doesn't change.

its like if the president wants to do something and says it will costs americans $10 each.  IF there were less americans, that doesn't mean the cost is less.  The total costs remains teh same.  The less people the higher the cost per person is.  So lets say obama wants to add 6 billion dollars to medicare.  that is roughly $10 per person.  If tehre are only 300 million people in teh us. then that is now $20 per person.  The 6 billion doesn't change.  Much in the same way this 23 billion doesn't change.