By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Malstrom: Why Project Cafe will fail

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Nobody knows what project Café really is - or at least can't tell.

What's the point in reading this...?

None. Though there's no point in reading Malstrom period because he's, well, an egomaniacal, narcissistic jackass

Around the Network

Instead of making 2D side scrollers for the "normal people"    They will use technology to make
Hard core games appealing to the "Working class"

They will be bringing hard core to the Casuals.

The only thing Malstrom, ever said that was worth reading in my opinion was (Normal people/Tek people)  every thing he talks about is based on that. Nintendo know's this too.  They want to use technologies to make 3D worlds as easy and effortless as 2D worlds.   Arcade easy to get into etc... like malstrom says, the working class wants.

That screen on the controller (use it to look in any direction) In other word, look into the screen while looking Down. to see your feet and hands. Look down left to spot where you have to jump to next.

Ya Nintendo is bringing N64 back. But with all the tools to take out the frustrations of 3D 1st person game play.  The same with that 3D head tracking thing. (technology to help you judge distances, so game play becomes less frustrating.

The Next Nintendo Consul will try to bridge the gap and give you the tools so that 3D worlds are effortless and fun to a mass market.

Will they fail at that?  Hey. If they succeed in making 3D game play Simple, easy, painless and fun, I say they may actually hit a jackpot. 

Theres always more then one way to skin a cat. Like the old saying. 

Its ether make "2D side scrollers" Or make Hard core games so effortless to navigate, even the casuals will enjoy. Pick your poison.

As much as I like malstrom. He is turning into a one trick pony.  Still his one trick was very impressive.

Beuli2 said:
RolStoppable said:
Beuli2 said:
noname2200 said:
freebs2 said:

Call Of Duty has actually sold more than Super Mario Bros 5.

Are you sure this is true?

Of course not. Combining all version of New Super Mario Bros. we have almost 50 millions, Black Ops didn't achieve even half of that.

Why in the world would you combine sales of NSMB and NSMB Wii? Unless you are stoned, of course.

I can't be wrong. Just this morning I read that NSMB Wii is just NSMB with added levels, powerups and characters. That defines a port. Therefore it is a port because I say it is.

Isn't any new Call Of Duty the same game with added levels and updated graphics? You can consider both NSMB NSMBW, but then you should compare those with COD3 COD4 COD5 COD:MW2 COD:BO.

freebs2 said:
Beuli2 said:
RolStoppable said:
Beuli2 said:
noname2200 said:
freebs2 said:

Of course not. Combining all version of New Super Mario Bros. we have almost 50 millions, Black Ops didn't achieve even half of that.

Why in the world would you combine sales of NSMB and NSMB Wii? Unless you are stoned, of course.

I can't be wrong. Just this morning I read that NSMB Wii is just NSMB with added levels, powerups and characters. That defines a port. Therefore it is a port because I say it is.

Isn't any new Call Of Duty the same game with added levels and updated graphics? You can consider both NSMB NSMBW, but then you should compare those with COD3 COD4 COD5 COD:MW2 COD:BO.

No, bercause they are numbered sequels. The numbers screwed your little theory there. On the other hand, the only thing that changes the DS version from the Wii port is that the Wii port has "Wii" on the end, which obviously remarks it as a port.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:
freebs2 said:
Beuli2 said:
RolStoppable said:
Beuli2 said:
noname2200 said:
freebs2 said:

No, bercause they are numbered sequels. The numbers screwed your little theory there. On the other hand, the only thing that changes the DS version from the Wii port is that the Wii port has "Wii" on the end, which obviously remarks it as a port.

OMG You're right!

Around the Network

Give 3DS 5  or 6 years on the market, and then we'll judge whether or not it's failed to expand the market in the same way the DS has done. The DS didn't expand the market a few weeks or months after launch, and I can't believe Malstrom is calling that so soon. I'd expect better from him--and I'd expect him to wait until at least this E3 before judging what Nintendo will do with their next home console. These products are a work in progress throughout their lifespans--we don't know where Nintendo will take them. Wii looked unstoppable mid-2008, as if it would march on and dethrone the PS2 within a few years. This analysis reeks of the kind of arrogance and self-importance I've come to expect of Pachter and other industry analysts.

RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:

And what is this horseshit about Galaxy and Twilight Princess "not selling?" He cherry picks certain games and franchises he likes, and then anything else doesn't sell, even if it does reach the 8th digit.

Malstrom should follow what he preaches: he's mad at developers for giving up on content and focusing on meaningless ego-stroking. Pot, meet kettle.

He does it to make his point. Would you care, if he picked games that sold one or two million copies? Of course not. But calling SMG and TP failures gets people's attention.

Also, I think he said or at least meant "not selling systems" which is true in the big picture. So we are looking at multimillion sellers that don't really sell the hardware. That IS a problem for a console manufacturer, especially one like Nintendo who can't rely on third party games to do that job. That's why he keeps talking down on SMG2, because it was a waste of resources. From the moment it was announced, it was clear that Nintendo just wasted two and a half years for very talented people to produce a game that wouldn't sell the Wii.

I presume that when he says SMG and TP failures, he means that attach rate wise, they are quite poor, comparing them to the Nintendo 64 versions, OoT sold 7.6 million, but TP only sold 5.84 (its 7.4 mind if you include the GC), Super Mario 64 sold 11.89 on the Nintendo 64 but SMG only  sold 9.4 million, with the significantly larger userbase, you would expect sales to increase or at least match their Nintendo 64 counterparts, especially considering the huge difference in install base

SO he's credible because he predicted NSMB Wii would be successfull. Oh wow, no-one saw that coming.

>_>

I shouldn't have clicked on that.

RolStoppable said:

Yes, Nintendo is getting themselves into trouble. While we haven't gotten official word from them yet, their moves with the 3DS and the tidbits from Iwata Asks interviews are worrisome to say the least.

Rol, could you elaborate on this point more?  I'm curious to know what your thoughts are.