By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Malstrom: Why Project Cafe will fail

Malstrom the guy who predicted the Wii's and New Super Mario Bros. Wii's (prior to it's known existence) success is predicting the failure of Nintendo's upcoming home console code named Project Cafe. Basing this mostly on Nintendo over all direction as a company, their developers and especially their games. He goes into a condensed history of videos games to show what makes a successful console. In a unique analysis that will probably beat all others long before the industry caches on. 

Read it here:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/why-project-cafe-will-fail/

Around the Network

Wouldnt doubt it, The way the economy is...Alot of people cant afford a new console right now(Myself included)

especially knowing Nintendo's history it probably wont have much 3rd party support which = a bad investment imo. Mark My Words.............Its a bad Time to release a new console Nintendo

good lord why did I even click on that, I wish Malstrom would gtet a new hobby....

This basically sums up as :

"wah wah wah 8 bit was the best"

"wah wah wah Nintendo should only cater to the mass market"

"wah wah wah I'm a hipster and don't like when something caters to its intended audience"

I think it is foolish to argue that a system we have no details about, and all information is difficult to believe rumours, will fail because the real system is probably entirely unrelated to the rumours in the first place ...

After all, until Nintendo revealed details about the 3DS, Wii or Nintendo DS how many rumours were correctly predicting what Nintendo was doing?

Nobody knows what project Café really is - or at least can't tell.

What's the point in reading this...?

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

When, exactly, did Malstrom switch to hating Nintendo? He had nothing but praise for the Blue Ocean and all the rest of it a few months ago, and now he's criticising them in hindsight for not  understanding their own console.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

He says by 'failing' he doesn´t mean it won´t sell well, he says it´ll not expand the market like the Wii did, if the 3DS direction is any hint.

But I like his analysis, he´s clearly right when he says Nintendo´s drastic decline with home consoles started when they abandoned the arcade like games that prevailed on the NES/SNES.

It´s like a 'classic Nintendo' vs 'modern Nintendo' battle...'classic Nintendo' remained on handhelds, and now he´s worried because even that might be going away with the 3DS.

I remember when he wrote a article about why nintendo entered a decline with snes,n64 and gamecube. According to what he said: Nintendo was moving away from what made them successful. I remember that I made a thread here on how the wii is a remake of the nes. The reason why 3ds won't  be as successful as  is due to them straying away from what made the ds sucessful. I expect the DS to be a snes. Just a stronger ds. but in decline. Project Cafe or nintendo 6(whichever u want to call it) will fail because rumors say its going against what made wii successful. Things like going after 3rd parties and going after the not so hardcore market will destroy them.  

Anyway Malstrom is a interesting person because what he says may be unbelievable but  a year from now we might be agreeing with him.  This is one thing I hope he's wrong because seeing nintendo go back to making gamecube games or n64 makes me sad as I like the older games better and the wii is the best system from them since the snes......

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I hope it launches with lots of railshooters!

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

It´s really not that hard to understand...Nintendo found great success with arcade like games (2D Mario, sports games like WiiSports, etc..)...that´s what skyrocketed them to success with the NES, Wii and the handhelds...when they abandoned games like those, and that´s exactly what happened with the N64/GC, they suffered drastic decline.

Now the 3DS looks more like a N64/GC direction than a DS/GameBoy/SNES direction....it can change, of course, but so far that´s the message.

By the way, shouldn´t this thread be in the Nintendo section?