By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Malstrom: Why Project Cafe will fail

The only thing he says that makes sense is actually the fact that "simple" or arcade-like games are the ones that appeal "people" as a whole, but besides that i can`t agree when he simply mixes casual and core market like they are or think the same way.
The reason Wii was so appealing is because it`s Wii line is simple to use and the console wii remote is simple to use and play. But that doesn`t mean that anything more complex than that will fail. Just look at PS2. Although i don`t like to admit it (Nintendo lover and all), PS2 was "the" gaming console as it was probably the first console to appeal to core and casual gamers in a looong time and it worked - as PS1 worked before.

The reason why Wii will never reach DS`s success it`s just because of a simple flaw in it´s strategy: it appealed to casual gamers but not so much to core gamers.
Actually, NDS and PS2 are very much alike because they appealed strongly to both markets.

He goes on to say that people don`t like 3DS because they don`t want "these bloated 3d insanities". Something that can be ignored at any given time is the reason for not that good 3DS sales when compared to NDS? I thought it was because NDS hasn`t got it`s first real casual game, despite having Nintendogs. Face raiders and the AR card game is fine and all, but it`s no Wii Sports equivalent and even Nintendogs doesn`t feel all that different from it`s NDS version.
And honestly, it`s big casual games will not arrive so soon as Nintendo is more determined to first go for the core market which ends up being more picky in their choice of consoles.
More, he speaks about simplicity but NDS wasn`t as simple as GBA yet it sold more. Project cafe might not be as simple as Wii but that doesn`t mean it will fail. It will all depend on the games and so far we have not seen what Nintendo has in store and barely know what`s the future for DS.
What Nintendo needs to reach PS2 and NDS`s success is games for everyone, not just simple games, nor core games. ALL KINDS OF GAMES!

Around the Network

if wii2 goes at the casuals then it will be fine. if it goes for the hardcore it will need loads of 3rd party exclusives to attract the core. because mario cant do that.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

green_sky said:

It is already d00med before it is even unveiled. Great. 

Look at it this way:

That means it's more d00med then the wii was - which could mean it sells even better.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I just want that Nintendo doesn't make the default controller a dualshock clone with a LCD screen between the analog sticks.

RolStoppable said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
green_sky said:

Look at it this way:

That means it's more d00med then the wii was - which could mean it sells even better.

The problem is that "doom" is called by the one person that accurately predicted the success of the Wii.

Yea sure he was the only one who predicted that wii would do well. The hype surrounding its release doesn't count for anything. 

Around the Network
adsl said:

I just want that Nintendo doesn't make the default controller a dualshock clone with a LCD screen between the analog sticks.

This.

Those dual analog gamepads feel to me like they belong to 2 generations ago. Controls also get "last gen" its not only the graphics.

Everytime Malstrom is brought up on these forums, a shitstorm of the most epic proportions occurs.

As for what he said. Yep, makes a lot of sense, helps that it's coherent throughout history.

Why Cafe will probably succeed, assuming the rumors are roughly accurate:

It'll blow PS3/360 out of the water while getting a 2 year head start on their successors.

Why Cafe could struggle:

It'll launch against two well entrenched consoles, and two years down the line it'll be facing off against two new and technically superior competitors.

It really boils down to how much marketshare they can grab in that two year time period, and whether the Wii 2 versions of multiplatform PS4/720/Wii2 games will hold up well compared to other versions.

RolStoppable said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
green_sky said:

Look at it this way:

The problem is that "doom" is called by the one person that accurately predicted the success of the Wii.

Kudos to him. But I doubt he was the only one.

Unless the console, the target audience of even the advertising is revealed, one can not make any predictions about sales. Everthing about the wii2 is rumor except for the fact that it's coming. 

Malstrom can't analyze anything that isn't revealed.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

makingmusic476 said:

Why Cafe will probably succeed, assuming the rumors are roughly accurate:

It'll blow PS3/360 out of the water while getting a 2 year head start on their successors.

Why Cafe could struggle:

It'll launch against two well entrenched consoles, and two years down the line it'll be facing off against two new and technically superior competitors.

It really boils down to how much marketshare they can grab in that two year time period, and whether the Wii 2 versions of multiplatform PS4/720/Wii2 games will hold up well compared to other versions.

The momentum factor will be critical as it has been in the past. If the market reorients itself around Nintendo, well, that'll be the end of it, if not, Nintendo will be stuck again, but that'll just mean they'll have to make a fight of it

It's a situation they could end up winning either way, but the former way leads to greater prosperity for all involved

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.