By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Baseline HW Sales after May 15 Price Cut?

TheSource said:

I wasn't as far off as you guys think - when I did the article on this I had Wii doubling in the Americas and plus 80% in EMEAA. We have plus 50% in EMEAA in 2 days, and plus 80% in the Americas - the baseline figures in the initial post are just much stronger than what Wii was at leading to the cut.

to quote yakuzaice, "your problem is you're using march numbers to extrapolate sales in the summer..."

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
TheSource said:

I wasn't as far off as you guys think - when I did the article on this I had Wii doubling in the Americas and plus 80% in EMEAA. We have plus 50% in EMEAA in 2 days, and plus 80% in the Americas - the baseline figures in the initial post are just much stronger than what Wii was at leading to the cut.

Yakuzaice said:

Your problem is you're using March numbers to extrapolate sales in the summer. 

Also your expectations for the first week are much more than 80% higher.  150% for America and 122% for EMEAA.

you win, twice. xD

kitler53 said:

to quote yakuzaice, "your problem is you're using march numbers to extrapolate sales in the summer..."

High five!

DarkD said:

Exactly as I thought would happen.  Wii takes back the sales lead again.  Seriously, some of the people made some really idiotic threads because of that sales dip.  There's a dry spell in Wii's software lineup and a price cut coming, why the hell is it shocking you people that the Wii hardware sales fell.  

Japanese numbers still aren't out yet, will probably boost nintendo to around 140-150 thousand consoles.  Im curious about weather the numbers will go up or down next week though.  I don't think Nintendo will lose the top spot even if we are at the peak of the sales right now, but I think sales are a little bit high considering a price cut just happened.  Although Wii sales have usually shown a pattern of being slow and steady so the real results won't show for a few months yet.  

You do realise don't you, that the Wii didn't get a pricecut in Japan and it only actually sold about 6,000 units there for the Week? Yes? While the PS3 sold about 13,000 units there...?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=129072&page=1

Currently our HW sales for Wii and PS3 are as follows -

Wii - 123,393
PS3 - 118,542

Add the ~6k and ~13k on to each of those totals...

Wii - 129,393
PS3 - 131,549

So everything you just said was wrong.

If the hardware numbers have been out for 2 days, then why the hell aren't those the first numbers to be posted...  Also I could have sworn I heard world wide price cut....  That only means I was wrong about Wii being in first place, how does that mean everything I said was wrong.  It basically means the only piece of completely meaningless information I put in there was wrong.  

Around the Network
DarkD said:

If the hardware numbers have been out for 2 days, then why the hell aren't those the first numbers to be posted...  Also I could have sworn I heard world wide price cut....  That only means I was wrong about Wii being in first place, how does that mean everything I said was wrong.  It basically means the only piece of completely meaningless information I put in there was wrong.  

media crate,  our numbers aren't up but there are other people who track sales besides vgchartz.

I just don't understand why the numbers that are copy and paste are slower to be released than the numbers which take a week to calculate.  

This is what I had as lifts - 100% Americas, 80% EMEAA, and 70% Japan once the data was in. There has been no cut in Japan, and the baseline was lower than I expected at the time of the cut, but the Western lifts weren't dramatically off - EMEAA was up 50% in two days, could be up a bit again next week.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

This is what I had as lifts - 100% Americas, 80% EMEAA, and 70% Japan once the data was in. There has been no cut in Japan, and the baseline was lower than I expected at the time of the cut, but the Western lifts weren't dramatically off - EMEAA was up 50% in two days, could be up a bit again next week.

That is the average over 4 weeks, not the first week.

You estimated a 10-15% drop per week in the first post of this thread.

For America that would be approx

10%
Week 1: 139.6k
Week 2: 125.6k
Week 3: 113.1k
Week 4: 101.8k

Which is 480.1k.  That would put the week one boost at 132.7%

15%
Week 1: 150.6k
Week 2: 128.0k
Week 3: 108.8k
Week 4: 92.5k

Which is 479.9k.  That would put the week one boost at 151%

DarkD said:

I just don't understand why the numbers that are copy and paste are slower to be released than the numbers which take a week to calculate.  

VGChartz doesn't just copy and paste numbers.

Here, read this - http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php

Shows you how VGChartz gets the numbers. Plus, the numbers don't have a set date of getting uploaded to the site, depends when all the data is put together or if ioi actually has the time to do it on certain days.

On your other post, I was actually supposed to bold/underline the whole "Wii being on top" again thing. It's 4am here though and I'm tired and not thinking straight