By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
cura said:

tl;dr

Oh, I figured. This was written more for the benefit of posters I actually respect. You're just the convenient launching point.

Around the Network
cura said:
noname2200 said:
cura said:

Well, ps3 and 360 have a combined market share of over 50% and then there is pc as well. This is important because it makes development on HD consoles (more) financially viable. 

In other words, sheer weight of numbers made it work, since we gamers drift where the games are, and third-parties decreed that they would be on the HD consoles. But let us not pretend that financial viability was ever third-parties' impetus. You actually said it best: "it may be that developers prefer to make games for the HD consoles over the Wii." I think it's time we all accepted that simple truth.

tl;dr

Just check out Dead Space sales... (dead space 2, dead space, dead space extraction...). 

....EA seriously?

They were selling out Dead Space Extraction as a $15 downloadble months later and had a functional THIRD-person version running off the iPhone. For all intents and purposes, Extraction was a joke.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

cura said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
cura said:

Why don't people get a wii for nintendo games and a ps3 or xbox 360 for third party games (e.g., Capcom's SFIV...)?

Also, LP2 et al. were also released on pc which was another source of income. Though a crap game is a crap game and I certainly hope Capcom didn't get much of a profit (if any) out of those games.

Another thing...it may be that developers prefer to make games for the HD consoles over the Wii. It will be interesting whether developers will make games move/kinect compatible or simply stick wth what is tried and true.

Either way, the issue of 3rd party games has plagued the wii ever since its release. I sure hope Nintendo will workout a way to fix it for next gen. 

The problem is the public chose the Wii, and as third parties sell games to the public, they are supposed to go where the public chooses. That's how business works, unless you want your company to stagnate and finally collapse. And history of all businesses show that will happen unless they change their ways.

Well, ps3 and 360 have a combined market share of over 50% and then there is pc as well. This is important because it makes development on HD consoles (more) financially viable. 

No, that ignores the fact that costs for those games goes up, and sales have not risen to match them. In case you didn't notice, few developers are making money on them, so claiming they are more financially viable is a fallacy.

Furthermore, third party sales for Wii games overall are still very high, despite how many cherry pick the occasional game's individual sales.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

SaviorX said:

....EA seriously?

They were selling out Dead Space Extraction as a $15 downloadble months later and had a functional THIRD-person version running off the iPhone. For all intents and purposes, Extraction was a joke.

Don't forget that they literally gave it away with every sale of the Limited Edition Dead Space 2 on the PS3...

noname2200 said:

The most expensive of these, by far, is the HD console market, which demands multiple times more in time/team size than the other markets. It's exponentially more expensive to operate in that market than in any other!

To a certain extent, I think that is some of the point for these big third party publishers.  They don't want to compete with the little guy.  They want to raise the barriers of entry ever higher, so that they have less competition.  It works too, just look at all the dead companies.  But, it is a double edged sword.  Even the big publishers seem to be struggling with their profit margins this gen.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
SaviorX said:

....EA seriously?

Don't forget that they literally gave it away with every sale of the Limited Edition Dead Space 2 on the PS3...

Just like they planned on doing with NBA Jam.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

theRepublic said:
noname2200 said:

The most expensive of these, by far, is the HD console market, which demands multiple times more in time/team size than the other markets. It's exponentially more expensive to operate in that market than in any other!

To a certain extent, I think that is some of the point for these big third party publishers.  They don't want to compete with the little guy.  They want to raise the barriers of entry ever higher, so that they have less competition.  It works too, just look at all the dead companies.  But, it is a double edged sword.  Even the big publishers seem to be struggling with their profit margins this gen.

I've been pondering this for years now, and while I can't recall any direct evidence which proves this theory, I have to admit that it does explain what is otherwise a course of action that is contrary to their own financial interests. But I'm not quite willing to buy in yet. Third-parties have done several things that tell me that, in certain circumstances, they're quite willing to operate in low-budget arenas.

Most third-parties, for instance, did eventually devote dev teams to the Wii, even if those teams were rarely their A-teams. The same is true of the DS. As another example, EA in particular is going to pretty great lengths to try and crack the mobile and low-end PC markets, to the point where they're opening new studios and spending hundreds of million to acquire teams that are experienced in those markets. We also have examples like Epic going through the effort of making their engines work on the iPhone, notwithstanding that it's much less powerful than the Wii.

I actually think your theory is giving third-parties too much credit. In my opinion, they're not long-sighted enough to conceive of such a strategy, let alone try and carry it through. I think it boils down to the fact that the big (at the moment) third-parties really only know how to make games bigger (but not necessarily "better"...). They know how to work with the traditional control pad. They rely on ever-increasing horsepower to sell games. They know how to superficially emulate what's worked for others. They're comfortable with PC gaming.

If we hold these true, and assume that these factors override financial viability, have we not explained everything that's happened this generation? Higher dev costs and smaller markets be damned, we know how to operate with the HD console market. The legion of superficial Wii minigames is explained quite well. Even the infatuation with the iPhone, a market that theoretically should be anathema to The Industry, suddenly makes sense: it's a handheld PC that's got more horsepower than other handheld systems. What's not to love!?

EA is the only one that's trying to bust out of this cycle; coincidentally, EA is run by someone who has no prior experience in gaming and who has not yet found a winning formula. Meanwhile, we have Activision mindlessly milking winning formulas to death, and Ubisoft clamoring for a new hardware generation because they need to extra horsepower to sell games (their words, not mine). Originality is rare amongst these folks, and insight seems to be even more so. :-/

noname2200 said:
theRepublic said:

I've been pondering this for years now, and while I can't recall any direct evidence which proves this theory, I have to admit that it does explain what is otherwise a course of action that is contrary to their own financial interests. But I'm not quite willing to buy in yet. Third-parties have done several things that tell me that, in certain circumstances, they're quite willing to operate in low-budget arenas.

Most third-parties, for instance, did eventually devote dev teams to the Wii, even if those teams were rarely their A-teams. The same is true of the DS. As another example, EA in particular is going to pretty great lengths to try and crack the mobile and low-end PC markets, to the point where they're opening new studios and spending hundreds of million to acquire teams that are experienced in those markets. We also have examples like Epic going through the effort of making their engines work on the iPhone, notwithstanding that it's much less powerful than the Wii.

I actually think your theory is giving third-parties too much credit. In my opinion, they're not long-sighted enough to conceive of such a strategy, let alone try and carry it through. I think it boils down to the fact that the big (at the moment) third-parties really only know how to make games bigger (but not necessarily "better"...). They know how to work with the traditional control pad. They rely on ever-increasing horsepower to sell games. They know how to superficially emulate what's worked for others. They're comfortable with PC gaming.

If we hold these true, and assume that these factors override financial viability, have we not explained everything that's happened this generation? Higher dev costs and smaller markets be damned, we know how to operate with the HD console market. The legion of superficial Wii minigames is explained quite well. Even the infatuation with the iPhone, a market that theoretically should be anathema to The Industry, suddenly makes sense: it's a handheld PC that's got more horsepower than other handheld systems. What's not to love!?

EA is the only one that's trying to bust out of this cycle; coincidentally, EA is run by someone who has no prior experience in gaming and who has not yet found a winning formula. Meanwhile, we have Activision mindlessly milking winning formulas to death, and Ubisoft clamoring for a new hardware generation because they need to extra horsepower to sell games (their words, not mine). Originality is rare amongst these folks, and insight seems to be even more so. :-/

"I actually think your theory is giving third-parties too much credit."

Lol, hard to argue with that.

"I think it boils down to the fact that the big (at the moment) third-parties really only know how to make games bigger (but not necessarily "better"...). They know how to work with the traditional control pad. They rely on ever-increasing horsepower to sell games. They know how to superficially emulate what's worked for others."

A little more seriously though, I think my original thought is what drives this process.  Especially when it comes to graphics.  Spend enough money on the technolgy, and you will stand out (so the logic goes).  It doesn't have to be particularly long sighted.  It really just needs to hold for one game.  And then it is applied to the next.  And then the next.  And the next. And so on.  In effect, it could become a long term strategy to driving out the competition without very much thought.

You are definetely right that it is not universal to everything these companies do.  There has to be a least one smart business man at these companies screaming at the top of his lungs, "Diversify, diversify, diverisfy!"  Right?  (Right!?! )  Then there are investors to please.  I would think that sentiment would be found there too.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

SaviorX said:

To be honest, the only head scratchers from Capcom (besides their outrageously ridiculous PR statements towards the Wii) include:

• Street Fighter 4 being on everything from the n-Gage to the original GameBoy and not Wii
  • Spyborg's radical change in development due to "the fans".
  • A Dead Rising port...with fewer features than the original
  • Never releasing a proper resident Evil after RE4, RE:UC, and RE:DC sold a combined 4 million copies...that's right, a port and two spinoffs. In fact, they spent time creating everything BUT a new Resident Evil. They ported RE1 and RE0, both available last -gen, with no changes.

And I wonder, why did you say Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles flopped? According to Capcom, they expected it to sell 800,000 copies lifetime...right now, it is at 770,000; 96% of the way there.

I notice that very early on in a title's sales career, especially on Wii, people are quick to scream bomb early out of the gate...but then after a while when sales build, the haters suddenly disappear.

• Madworld was the biggest bomb of 2009, but now that its past 600,000 no one says a thing. Don't even bring up Vanquish...
  • Wii owners don't appreciate art like Muramasa and Okami, but Muramasa outsold Odin Sphere and Okami sold more than the PS2 version.
  • The Conduit supposedly made HVS no money, but it outsold 40% of the PS3 FPSs and 50% of the 360s...no bombs there...
  • NMH was too hardcore for the Wii, but when ported to the PS3/360 they sold no better in Japan, even with additional features. Don't bother combining sales either, or I'll slap ya.

The Wii ain't perfect, there have been tons of bombs, but the 360 is no saint either. It really bothers me when people pretend like its software sales are always of some God-like caliber.

I'll touch on some of that...

SFIV wasn't on every platform other than Wii so why complain?

Who cares about Spyborgs? Was anybody expecting that to be good?

Dead Rising for the Wii was built with an inferior engine and on a technically inferior console. I'm not sure why they bothered. They should have just made perfect ports for PS3 and PC.

People keep praising RE4 sales on Wii, but lets bear in mind it launched for only $30 and its higher quality than the typical Wii game. Its the best reviewed core title on Wii period. Hence, a gem surrounded by crap.

I highly doubt 800K was their life time expectation. Maybe that was a quarter expectation. For the record, RE:DC has been out for 72 weeks and its struggling to 800K. While RE:UC hit 800K in 13 weeks. Hence, RE:UC sold a shit ton more units at full price. Face it, RE:DC was a flop.

Madworld hit the bargain bin after a few weeks. They probably hoped it would move 600K during the holiday at full price. Why else did Sega pull back support on mature Wii games?

Are you boasting that Wii's big exclusive, over hyped, and heavily marketed shooter, The Conduit, sold more units than mostly crappy and obscure HD FPS games? It should also be noted you aren't combining the sales of many of HD shooters.

In regards to NMH, late ports sell worse. Very few late ports sell better than the original.

Muramasa definitely got more attention than Odin Sphere. And it might be because the Wii lacks niche title compared to PS2.

The Okami data doesn't include WW sales for either PS2 and Wii. But once again it stood out more in the Wii's lack luster 3rd party library.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LordTheNightKnight said:
cura said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
cura said:

Why don't people get a wii for nintendo games and a ps3 or xbox 360 for third party games (e.g., Capcom's SFIV...)?

Also, LP2 et al. were also released on pc which was another source of income. Though a crap game is a crap game and I certainly hope Capcom didn't get much of a profit (if any) out of those games.

Another thing...it may be that developers prefer to make games for the HD consoles over the Wii. It will be interesting whether developers will make games move/kinect compatible or simply stick wth what is tried and true.

Either way, the issue of 3rd party games has plagued the wii ever since its release. I sure hope Nintendo will workout a way to fix it for next gen. 

The problem is the public chose the Wii, and as third parties sell games to the public, they are supposed to go where the public chooses. That's how business works, unless you want your company to stagnate and finally collapse. And history of all businesses show that will happen unless they change their ways.

No, that ignores the fact that costs for those games goes up, and sales have not risen to match them. In case you didn't notice, few developers are making money on them, so claiming they are more financially viable is a fallacy.

Furthermore, third party sales for Wii games overall are still very high, despite how many cherry pick the occasional game's individual sales.

honestly, I don't think that higher market share = higher sales (case in point dead space extraction et al.). I was just pointing out that when HD consoles are grouped together they have more market share than the wii, and it is more than likely 3rd party developers factor this in to the equation when deciding what platform to develop for. Yes, I understand that costs also rise but (probably) not as much as the sales (though if the game bombs then obviously it won't have the desired effect).  

All I see from Nintendo fans is blame towards Third partys for not giving the wii adequate support. However, I feel that third party developers are free to choose which platform they develop their games, and I absolutely detest seeing wii fans giving a list of bullet points as to why the wii is a much better platform to develop for (e.g., cheaper to develop a wii game versus HD game; 86 million user base, etc.). I am sure they have weighed the pros and cons of development for each platform BEFORE deciding to develop for a particular platform (e.g., wii vs ps3 vs 360; wii vs 360/ps3; all platforms). 

I don't see AC3, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Batman AC, Bioshock 3, Deus Ex HR, and so many more coming to the wii, and nor do I expect to see the developers for the aforementioned games convert to wii development.