By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I'm ok with Capcom but I'm dissapointed that we haven't had a proper Resident Evil game on the Wii.

Around the Network

@lordtheknight you might wanna check the reviews for the SOnic games there not hot, Spiderman, SWs, Prince of Persia, all got good reviews and still didnt sell anywhere near there HD counterparts, hell some people say in PoPs case it was actually better. As for COD, MS always has gotten exclusive ads for that, why does the PC and PS3 versions sell much better than Wii then, you cant use that advertisment excuse. Those games sell better because most of the people who actually care about them have a "better" alternative in the HDs and PCs. Some games will just sell better on the HDs no matter how good they make the Wii version

Chrizum said:

And vice versa.

The truth is, many games flop, and there is always a good reason to explain why a game has flopped. Blaming it on a console and its userbase is meaningless and annoying. I know you like to blame Nintendo for everything that's wrong in the industry, but that all comes down to fanboy wars which I would advice you to stay out of.

Many games flop indeed. And Wii has proven to be risky by many major publishers.

Obviously Wii isn't the best platform to move core games for several reasons. I think the biggest is the inferior specs. Because of the inferior specs it doesn't get HD ports, the ones it does suck in comparison, and that hurts its appeal for fans of core titles. That's not a fanboy opinion, its just a matter of fact.

The talk of me "blaming" Nintendo is ridiculous. This is a Wii discussion and why it doesn't appeal to Capcom (or some other major publishers for that matter).

You should take your own advice. That's my advice.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Yeah, that Sven guy gets on my nerves sometimes. RE:DSC still sold well, just not as well as RE:UC. As an owner of both of those games, I can safely say that DSC did not deserve to sell as well as UC.

If I'm not mistaken Sven was also the guy who dissed on Final Fight when answering the question of whether there would ever be a new Final Fight game. To paraphrase his response: "Yeah after FF: Streetwise I think it's safe to say we're finished with Final Fight." So you put out a crappy game and denegrate the entire franchise because Streetwise sucked and/or sold poorly?

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

quigontcb said:

Yeah, that Sven guy gets on my nerves sometimes. RE:DSC still sold well, just not as well as RE:UC. As an owner of both of those games, I can safely say that DSC did not deserve to sell as well as UC.

Why do you say that? DC seemed superior to UC in almost every respect save for freshness, and even that area is suspect.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:

I'm still convinced that Capcom had an internal bet on who could come up with the stupidest name for a Wii game.

Tanooki Suit v Capcom or Zacky Wacky's Quest for Barabbas' Treasure.

What's wrong with Tatusunoko, exactly? Sure, it's unfamiliar to us Westerners. But it's kind of the name of the studio that produced those characters, a la Marvel...

LordTheNightKnight said:
cura said:

Why don't people get a wii for nintendo games and a ps3 or xbox 360 for third party games (e.g., Capcom's SFIV...)?

Also, LP2 et al. were also released on pc which was another source of income. Though a crap game is a crap game and I certainly hope Capcom didn't get much of a profit (if any) out of those games.

Another thing...it may be that developers prefer to make games for the HD consoles over the Wii. It will be interesting whether developers will make games move/kinect compatible or simply stick wth what is tried and true.

Either way, the issue of 3rd party games has plagued the wii ever since its release. I sure hope Nintendo will workout a way to fix it for next gen. 

The problem is the public chose the Wii, and as third parties sell games to the public, they are supposed to go where the public chooses. That's how business works, unless you want your company to stagnate and finally collapse. And history of all businesses show that will happen unless they change their ways.

Well, ps3 and 360 have a combined market share of over 50% and then there is pc as well. This is important because it makes development on HD consoles (more) financially viable. 

Mr Puggsly said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

My brother has a 360, and I even own some games for it. So assuming that it's not getting the games for me is false.

And it's not a risk when they haven't actually lost money, and the flops are actually more numerous on the HD systems. The risk being greater on the Wii is flat out false.

And people haven't been given the chance to buy the games in as great numbers, because they haven't been given the games for so long. That's not the Wii audience, that's third parties making this so, which means they can undo it by actually giving the games.

Good! You got some 360 games now get the console. Maybe you'll be less bitter about not having more watered down ports on the Wii.

They have had numerous flops on Wii as well. RE:DSC, Dead Rising (I wonder why they didn't port DR2?!), those other obscure games I can't think of. Sengoku Basara was greeted with abysmal sales as well.

Well they aren't going to bring the games. Unfortunately, complaining on a forum isn't gonna change that. But I'm sure you'll agree Nintendo is more to blame than 3rd parties. I mean Nintendo put out the technicially inferior machine and 3rd parties can't easily port their HD games to it.

To be honest, the only head scratchers from Capcom (besides their outrageously ridiculous PR statements towards the Wii) include:

• Street Fighter 4 being on everything from the n-Gage to the original GameBoy and not Wii
  • Spyborg's radical change in development due to "the fans".
  • A Dead Rising port...with fewer features than the original
  • Never releasing a proper resident Evil after RE4, RE:UC, and RE:DC sold a combined 4 million copies...that's right, a port and two spinoffs. In fact, they spent time creating everything BUT a new Resident Evil. They ported RE1 and RE0, both available last -gen, with no changes.

And I wonder, why did you say Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles flopped? According to Capcom, they expected it to sell 800,000 copies lifetime...right now, it is at 770,000; 96% of the way there.

I notice that very early on in a title's sales career, especially on Wii, people are quick to scream bomb early out of the gate...but then after a while when sales build, the haters suddenly disappear.

• Madworld was the biggest bomb of 2009, but now that its past 600,000 no one says a thing. Don't even bring up Vanquish...
  • Wii owners don't appreciate art like Muramasa and Okami, but Muramasa outsold Odin Sphere and Okami sold more than the PS2 version.
  • The Conduit supposedly made HVS no money, but it outsold 40% of the PS3 FPSs and 50% of the 360s...no bombs there...
  • NMH was too hardcore for the Wii, but when ported to the PS3/360 they sold no better in Japan, even with additional features. Don't bother combining sales either, or I'll slap ya.

The Wii ain't perfect, there have been tons of bombs, but the 360 is no saint either. It really bothers me when people pretend like its software sales are always of some God-like caliber.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

cura said:

Well, ps3 and 360 have a combined market share of over 50% and then there is pc as well. This is important because it makes development on HD consoles (more) financially viable. 

That's something of a myth, actually. Are you aware that of all the markets available for developers, on paper the HD consoles are some of the least viable in terms of marketshare/development costs? It's true!

There are currently ___ markets out there: the HD consoles (which I'm generously lumping together), the Wii, the DS, the 3DS, the PSP, the NGP, the PC, the Apple app store, XBLA, XBIG, WiiWare, DSiWare, 3DSWare, PSN, and the Android Market. The most expensive of these, by far, is the HD console market, which demands multiple times more in time/team size than the other markets. It's exponentially more expensive to operate in that market than in any other! Despite that, it accounts for barely over 100 million units combined, worldwide, not all of which are currently active.

By contrast, the third home console, the Wii, is only 20 million or so units behind, but its development costs is about a third of the HD consoles. This means that the market is roughly the same size, but a game needs only sell a fraction of the number of copies to break even. And the Wii is in turn 2-3 times more expensive to develop for than the PSP, which is only 20 million units behind the Wii in terms of hardware sold.

All of these markets are a joke when compared to the DS, which has sold almost half-again as much as the HD consoles combined, but whose development costs are a mere pittance, often weighing in at less than a tenth of the HD consoles' price tag. We haven't even begun to talk about the PC market, which has access to, what, a billion-plus people, and whose market has proven it is willing to support development costs anywhere between those of the HD consoles and simple flash games. All without ever paying royalties to a platform holder!

And while I'm nowhere near as big on the digital platforms as some, I have to say that dev costs for those platforms is bargain-basement compared to even the DS, notwithstanding the fact that most of the markets theoretically have almost the same market as the system they're hosted on...

So actually, on paper, development on the HD consoles has always been the least financially viable option out there. "But noname," you respond, "that's an absurd statement. The HD consoles have shown that they're just a viable for third-parties than the other systems. More so, even!" True. But that's because third-parties by and large ignored the same mathematics of marketshare vs. operating costs, and decided en masse to develop for the systems that financially remain the least viable option.

In other words, sheer weight of numbers made it work, since we gamers drift where the games are, and third-parties decreed that they would be on the HD consoles. But let us not pretend that financial viability was ever third-parties' impetus. You actually said it best: "it may be that developers prefer to make games for the HD consoles over the Wii." I think it's time we all accepted that simple truth.

noname2200 said:
cura said:

That's something of a myth, actually. Are you aware that of all the markets available for developers, on paper the HD consoles are some of the least viable in terms of marketshare/development costs? It's true!

There are currently ___ markets out there: the HD consoles (which I'm generously lumping together), the Wii, the DS, the 3DS, the PSP, the NGP, the PC, the Apple app store, XBLA, XBIG, WiiWare, DSiWare, 3DSWare, PSN, and the Android Market. The most expensive of these, by far, is the HD console market, which demands multiple times more in time/team size than the other markets. It's exponentially more expensive to operate in that market than in any other! Despite that, it accounts for barely over 100 million units combined, worldwide, not all of which are currently active.

By contrast, the third home console, the Wii, is only 20 million or so units behind, but its development costs is about a third of the HD consoles. This means that the market is roughly the same size, but a game needs only sell a fraction of the number of copies to break even. And the Wii is in turn 2-3 times more expensive to develop for than the PSP, which is only 20 million units behind the Wii in terms of hardware sold.

All of these markets are a joke when compared to the DS, which has sold almost half-again as much as the HD consoles combined, but whose development costs are a mere pittance, often weighing in at less than a tenth of the HD consoles' price tag. We haven't even begun to talk about the PC market, which has access to, what, a billion-plus people, and whose market has proven it is willing to support development costs anywhere between those of the HD consoles and simple flash games. All without ever paying royalties to a platform holder!

And while I'm nowhere near as big on the digital platforms as some, I have to say that dev costs for those platforms is bargain-basement compared to even the DS, notwithstanding the fact that most of the markets theoretically have almost the same market as the system they're hosted on...

So actually, on paper, development on the HD consoles has always been the least financially viable option out there. "But noname," you respond, "that's an absurd statement. The HD consoles have shown that they're just a viable for third-parties than the other systems. More so, even!" True. But that's because third-parties by and large ignored the same mathematics of marketshare vs. operating costs, and decided en masse to develop for the systems that financially remain the least viable option.

In other words, sheer weight of numbers made it work, since we gamers drift where the games are, and third-parties decreed that they would be on the HD consoles. But let us not pretend that financial viability was ever third-parties' impetus. You actually said it best: "it may be that developers prefer to make games for the HD consoles over the Wii." I think it's time we all accepted that simple truth.

tl;dr

Just check out Dead Space sales... (dead space 2, dead space, dead space extraction...).