3DS has no problem 135 29.48%

3DS needs something more innovative 99 21.62%

3DS is the most innovative product out 36 7.86%

3DS is the best nintendo handheld period 55 12.01%

NGP and 3DS have problems in the near term 37 8.08%

We all live in a yellow .. sub.. ma.. .. 94 20.52%

Total:456
Mr Khan said:

Content content content. All these technology problems can be handwaved if Nintendo has the right games, and that's where the debate about the DS' future should really be.

E3 will be very telling about the future of the device

i can't really argue with that ...

...but i'm going to anyways.  xD   the problem, as i see it, with the 3DS vs. nintendo's more recent design philosophies ala DS and Wii is how does the hardware actually help, change, or innovate games?  nintendo already stated that they will not bring any games to the 3DS that require you to have 3D turned on.  without 3D the 3DS is just a DS with better graphics.  so where is the oportunity for innovation in game design?

and don't get me wrong ... DS with better graphics is appealing to me.  but you're being quoted by a guy that has bought into every generation since the commadore 64 and nintendo is entrenched in the so-called "expanded" audience.  what content can the 3DS bring that will excite that audience?

in short - the 3DS feels very un-nintendo to me.  un-recent-nintendo i guess i mean.  it's too focused on visuals.

Around the Network

Specs don't mean anything when it comes to "gaming machines", it's the games like everybody else said (so far it's bare).

Haven't you learned anything about the Game Boy era?

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
kitler53 said:
Mr Khan said:

Content content content. All these technology problems can be handwaved if Nintendo has the right games, and that's where the debate about the DS' future should really be.

...but i'm going to anyways.  xD   the problem, as i see it, with the 3DS vs. nintendo's more recent design philosophies ala DS and Wii is how does the hardware actually help, change, or innovate games?  nintendo already stated that they will not bring any games to the 3DS that require you to have 3D turned on.  without 3D the 3DS is just a DS with better graphics.  so where is the oportunity for innovation in game design?

and don't get me wrong ... DS with better graphics is appealing to me.  but you're being quoted by a guy that has bought into every generation since the commadore 64 and nintendo is entrenched in the so-called "expanded" audience.  what content can the 3DS bring that will excite that audience?

in short - the 3DS feels very un-nintendo to me.  un-recent-nintendo i guess i mean.  it's too focused on visuals.

Wait, what happened to the concept of Revolution then Evolution?

The NES>SNES and the PS1>PS2 used that to great success.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

"With the DS nintendo introduced both 3D graphics for a video game handheld(true 3D graphics comparable to N64 games) and a dual screen device that offers a touch screen and a stylus to interact with games. In 2004(when the DS launched) touchscreen devices were rare and only common in high tech smart phones which operated with a stylus, this was all before the iphone came out and changed everything."

First:

"With the 3DS nintendo introduced 3D without glasses for a video game handheld(not the 3D comparable to the one that uses glasses). In 2011(when the 3DS launched) 3D glass-less devices were rare and only common in high tech smart phones time later 3DS release."

Second:

In 2004(when the DS launched) touchscreen devices were rare and only common in high tech smart phones which operated with a stylus, this was all before the iphone came out and changed everything.

But DS still sell very well thanks to the software and the price. And this could be the same case with 3DS.

I think 3DS can't catch NDS succes, but will sell very well.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

3DS-NDS

This is essential the same battle the Wii just won against the PS3, but with a twist that Unlike the Wii the 3DS has a visual upgread with 3D. (a Curve ball to gain 3rd party)   I dont really think slaping 3D on A portable Wii is Non-Nintendo like is it? Really?

I think the 3DS will outsell the NDS just like the Wii outsold the PS3. I dont think the market has totaly turned head over heals in the last year.   so i expect the same results.

3DS price's and game price's will be the big factor of how many units they can sell in total.    The games are a none factor in my thought prosess cause i know this things not going to get few-er then the NDS.  

Around the Network
Albion said:

3DS-NDS

This is essential the same battle the Wii just won against the PS3, but with a twist that Unlike the Wii the 3DS has a visual upgread with 3D. (a Curve ball to gain 3rd party)   I dont really think slaping 3D on A portable Wii is Non-Nintendo like is it? Really?

I think the 3DS will outsell the NDS just like the Wii outsold the PS3. I dont think the market has totaly turned head over heals in the last year.   so i expect the same results.

3DS price's and game price's will be the big factor of how many units they can sell in total.    The games are a none factor in my thought prosess cause i know this things not going to get few-er then the NDS.  

Didnt your other post say 3DS will do well but wont beat NDS? Im guessing its suppose to say outsell the NGP?

What the hell are you talking about?

kitler53 said:
Mr Khan said:

A valid point, though i would counter that with the fact that some games that definitely benefited from motion controls (i'm really thinking of Mario Kart Wii here), had them as optional. While they might be limited by that 3D promise, that doesn't mean that games that really benefit from it can't come out

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

What's going on in this thread?

Oh, the 3DS just got criticised for having a smaller screen than those of movie cinemas. Resisting urge to abandon thread. I will point out that building a 3D equipped cinema will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the movies cost about $10/hour to see. The TVs will set you back thousands. The 3DS? a few hundred. Why not argue the NGP is domed because it can't match the graphics of a large home tv, or the cinema, nor the realism of hiring a bunch of gladiators to fight to the death for your amusememnt. As you point out, touchscreens existed before the DS, Nintendo just brought them to the mass market. That is what the 3DS is doing with 3D

Lack of something truly innovative. This is indeed a problem, the 3D effect is nice, but it isn't as big a step up as the GC -> Wii. However, only time will tell if it is a big problem. Nintendo (and many other technology companies) follow a tick tock upgrade path - the NES was very different to existing technologies in how it was marketed, and the type of games it had. The SNES was merely a graphical upgrade. The N64 brought in 3D gaming in the sense we used to describe gaming as 3D, and the controls to make this gaming possible, the Gamecube was a graphical imporvement and a perfection of that sort of control scheme. Wii again was something innovative, and it is likely the Wii2 will focus more on graphics, online play and 3rd party support, rather than brand new features.

Sure, you could point out that the NES outsold the SNES, N64 outsold GC, which is enough to suggest that the 3DS may not outsell the DS. However, it is necessary to have these tock upgrades to allow developers, 1st and 3rd party, to catch up - it's only recently that most 3rd party developers have learned how to make good games for the Wii.

Both the 3DS and the NGP will be fine.

Edit: Didn't vote in the poll due to lack of good answers

Games4Fun said:
Albion said:

3DS-NGP

I think the 3DS will outsell the NGP just like the Wii outsold the PS3. I dont think the market has totaly turned head over heals in the last year.   so i expect the same results.

3DS price's and game price's will be the big factor of how many units they can sell in total.    The games are a none factor in my thought prosess cause i know this things not going to get few-er then the NGP.  

Didnt your other post say 3DS will do well but wont beat NDS? Im guessing its suppose to say outsell the NGP?

My other post in this thread said:

Albion on 2011-04-09 21:34

3DS has a few small flaws that will keep it from ever selling much more then 100 million units. 

It will remain market leader this gen though. (end)

But

It is posible the NGP beats Nintendo 3DS for market leadership.  Something like

NGP 100 million unit sold

3DS 80 million unit sold

But im basing this estimation, on things that have way to many  unknown then i care to have.  but still lets go down that road so now I have to  evaluated what  new competion may take. when I add that up.

NGP 85 million

3DS 75 million 

Thats on my assumption Iphone will disrupt Sony's NGP more then it will the 3DS based on Trends. I dont think Iphone will take over.

If NGP is the leader this  next gen.    Id say thats a fare gesstimation of what it may look like after 5 years.

Based on Sony's attitude and direction in the last 5 years i dont have much faith they can do with the NGP  what it needs for it to be a market leader.   If that prove's to be true.

Id say the NGP Could look like what the PSP is today.   after 5 years.

Nintendo wont sell more then 100 millon units, unless it seriously re-thinks it price's. the sooner they do the more chance they give themself to hit 120 milllion