By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield 3 to be Scripted and Linear

Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:
Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:
Barozi said:

sandbox singleplayer FPS just don't work.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

the game is okay, but take out the RPG elements and it would quite honestly suck.

No reason to explore anything etc.

Far Cry 2?

Hated by pretty much everyone including myself. Exactly the game I was thinking of when I wrote my post.

lol I almost knew that. That's why I tried with STALKER first.

But some make a good argument of why it's good:

http://www.destructoid.com/rev-rant-the-most-important-game-of-2008-139121.phtml

I think the short version is that you can approach each task with a variety of different methods. I love that in games and I think it works in shooters too. Even Crisis did that to a degree including the sequel. Personally I even thought Crisis 1 was too linear.

Around the Network

Multiplayer better be mindblowing cause I really don't want to play another army on rails shooter.

COD Black Ops SP bored me to tears. I'd rather dig a hole in the back yard...

Slimebeast said:

"the open, sandbox type campaigns employed in Bad Company 1 and 2."

lol

yeah i stoped reading the op there....

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Oh no! They've ruined Battlefields classic... singleplayer?  Nevermind. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Slimebeast said:
Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:
Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:
Barozi said:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

the game is okay, but take out the RPG elements and it would quite honestly suck.

No reason to explore anything etc.

Far Cry 2?

Hated by pretty much everyone including myself. Exactly the game I was thinking of when I wrote my post.

lol I almost knew that. That's why I tried with STALKER first.

But some make a good argument of why it's good:

http://www.destructoid.com/rev-rant-the-most-important-game-of-2008-139121.phtml

I think the short version is that you can approach each task with a variety of different methods. I love that in games and I think it works in shooters too. Even Crisis did that to a degree including the sequel. Personally I even thought Crisis 1 was too linear.

Oh it sure has its good sides, but unfortunately they get lost between the HUGE annoyances that happen between the missions.

I don't know if you've ever played it, but let me say that you need to drive constantly across the whole map to get from your savehouse to your quest giver, who lives in a town and then naturally another 5 kilometers to your mission objective.
(it's not always the same person and you probably get to different locations the more you play, but I'm just giving my impressions based from the first 2 or so hours.)

If that's not bad enough for an FPS, here is what truly kills the game. Along the road there are tons of checkpoints guarded by enemy soldiers and they respawn EVERYTIME you come back. Furthermore you CAN'T just simply drive around these checkpoints, because there is mostly jungle around it and if you drive through, there will ALWAYS be one car (maybe more, I don't really remember) that follows and shoots at you.

Now of course there is this guy who sells guns and I think also some upgrades, but of course he has his own shack somewhere in the jungle and you can guess why visiting him sucks.

The sandbox aspect i.e. the driving totally kills the game. The missions aren't bad.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

Multiplayer better be mindblowing cause I really don't want to play another army on rails shooter.

I feel the same way, i never beat it either...

Oh he is basically saying "Oh well battlefield fans, were making another COD rip off, you and yoru squad of 5 guys are gonna stop some russian from destroying the world"..

Garnett said:
disolitude said:

Oh he is basically saying "Oh well battlefield fans, were making another COD rip off, you and yoru squad of 5 guys are gonna stop some russian from destroying the world"..

This current FPS bubble's got to burst soon... Mediocre rip off games like MOH and Homefront selling millions just cause they are army FPS games is as sad as seeing Just Dance 2 top the charts.

disolitude said:
Garnett said:
disolitude said:

This current FPS bubble's got to burst soon... Mediocre rip off games like MOH and Homefront selling millions just cause they are army FPS games is as sad as seeing Just Dance 2 top the charts.

Yep, its gonna burst soon... Probably during the winter months most FPS will begin to flop (sales wise) just because the market is so damn saturated.  

I dont even remember the last time i beat an FPS SP, or even played online (and had fun) hmmmm, I think the last FPS i really liked was COD WAW , or Bad Company 2 (before the fucked everything up). 

disolitude said:

LOL... BF has never been about the SP missions.

Barozi said:

Thank god.

All Battlefield games were clearly not designed for singleplayer and even the Bad Company series shows that. Now they'll be finally able to make a good campaign this time around.

Does anyone here think that Call of Duty series of games is noted for BRILLIANT single player play?  Is that why people buy them?  I would say, in the case of Call of Duty, linearity is NO guarantee of a campaign being good.  One can argue Modern Warfare 1 had good single player, but that isn't because of linearity.

If linearity was the deciding factor in what is good, then there wouldn't be bad movies.  Shoot, how good was Medal of Honor with its extreme linearity?