By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone 3 vs Crysis 2 vs Crysis 1: Water Effects And Character Comparison

Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:

The water in Crysis 2 does look better, the water in Killzone is far more stylized and it does look amazing, but the interaction with it is extremely low and it's a rare sight.

The character models in Killzone are far and away better than the models in Crysis 2. Hell, I thought the character models in Black Ops were better than that stupid Gould guy and all those random soldiers that stare blankly off into the distance and have their mouth flapping out of sync with the their voice.

The real question is, what game has the cooler looking aliens. I think Crysis has uglier aliens, but way cooler effects involving those aliens (mainly the red lighting when they are shot), while the Helghast are great to look at, but they don't do much different from a normal soldier.

Character models in Black Ops are made up of low poly and not tryn to start flamewar but Killzone 3 character polygons are almost comparison to Gears 2 which isnt saying much since they were supposed to be pushing 3 times more polygons.

Killzone 3 has some of the best character models in the business, I don't know how you've come to your conclusion. Maybe your misremembering Gears 2, because that game has aged pretty badly and I don't think you've played Killzone 3, because the textures on those guys are just ridiculous. I still stick to the point that Crysis 2 has ugly and badly animated character models, especially during story moments, that Gould guy is a like a puppet.

Im talking about the models in general not animation so what are you talking about?

Even the models are far better than most games on the market, it's one of the main reasons why Killzone 2 & Killzone 3 have been praised for there visuals. It's not God of War 3, but it's easily the second or third best that we've seen so far in modern games.

What game do you think has the best character models? Choose carefully, because I want to take you seriously and anything but an acceptable answer will only pull a chuckle from me.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:

The water in Crysis 2 does look better, the water in Killzone is far more stylized and it does look amazing, but the interaction with it is extremely low and it's a rare sight.

The character models in Killzone are far and away better than the models in Crysis 2. Hell, I thought the character models in Black Ops were better than that stupid Gould guy and all those random soldiers that stare blankly off into the distance and have their mouth flapping out of sync with the their voice.

The real question is, what game has the cooler looking aliens. I think Crysis has uglier aliens, but way cooler effects involving those aliens (mainly the red lighting when they are shot), while the Helghast are great to look at, but they don't do much different from a normal soldier.

Character models in Black Ops are made up of low poly and not tryn to start flamewar but Killzone 3 character polygons are almost comparison to Gears 2 which isnt saying much since they were supposed to be pushing 3 times more polygons.

Killzone 3 has some of the best character models in the business, I don't know how you've come to your conclusion. Maybe your misremembering Gears 2, because that game has aged pretty badly and I don't think you've played Killzone 3, because the textures on those guys are just ridiculous. I still stick to the point that Crysis 2 has ugly and badly animated character models, especially during story moments, that Gould guy is a like a puppet.

Im talking about the models in general not animation so what are you talking about?

Even the models are far better than most games on the market, it's one of the main reasons why Killzone 2 & Killzone 3 have been praised for there visuals. It's not God of War 3, but it's easily the second or third best that we've seen so far in modern games.

What game do you think has the best character models? Choose carefully, because I want to take you seriously and anything but an acceptable answer will only pull a chuckle from me.

You dont know what your talking about do you?

Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:

What are YOU talking about? I thought this discussion was about character models.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:

What are YOU talking about? I thought this discussion was about character models.

It was until you start mixing it up with animation.

Nsanity said:

I mentioned both the character models and the animation, they are both important when determining how good some characters look, though I let animation go about three posts ago. My last two comments had nothing to do with animation. 

Oh wait, I see what happened, you read (or I wrote) something wrong and you got mixed up. 

Just ignore animations then and just answer the last question. If you don't think Killzone 3 has great character models, what game do you think does?

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:

I mentioned both the character models and the animation, they are both important when determining how good some characters look, though I let animation go about three posts ago. My last two comments had nothing to do with animation. 

Oh wait, I see what happened, you read (or I wrote) something wrong and you got mixed up. 

Just ignore animations then and just answer the last question. If you don't think Killzone 3 has great character models, what game do you think does?

Character models are good in killzone 3 but you few others acting like they are leagues ahead of most games which is not true at all and all answer your question which i think are good 

Uncharted 1 and 2

Bad Company 2

Spartans from Halo Reach

Kratos himself from God Of War 3

Alcatraz and every other main character from Crysis 2

Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:

Character models are good in killzone 3 but you few others acting like they are leagues ahead of most games which is not true atn all and all answer your question which i think are good 

Uncharted 1 and 2

Bad Company 2

Spartans from Halo Reach

Kratos himself from God Of War 3

Alcatraz and every other main character from Crysis 2

Uncharted 2 maybe.

I just finished BBC2 not long ago and the character models aren't it's strength.

Kratos is the best in the business. 

Reach is weird because outside of cutscenes, you don't really get to see their faces. So when you can't see the faces during gameplay, then your left judging the armour and then you have something like Vanquish come along and it looks much better than the models in Reach.

Crysis 2 is a no. Gould looks ugly, random solider enemies look ugly, Lockhart looks ugly and Tara looks ugly. Alcatraz and maybe Barclay look good, but overall the character models are not what make Crysis 2. 

My list would be a little different:

God of War 3

Killzone 3

Heavy Rain

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood

Vanquish. The amount of detail in that suit is just ridiculous. No game involving armour even comes close.

I'm also sure that L.A. Noire, Gears of War 3 and Uncharted 3 will probably take a few spots by the end of the year.

_mevildan said:
Scoobes said:

From what I've played, the water on Crysis 2 is better than both. On Crysis 1 it still looks spectacular but the added lighting effects in Crysis 2 just make it that bit more impressive.

Also, which console are the Crysis 2 shots from? The character models on PC looked a lot better than the shot shown. Also, I believe the character model from Killzone 3 is from a pre-rendered in-engine video whereas I think Crysis 1 & 2 do everything in real-time.

Never mind these pictures. I've beat all 3 games:

There is NO way the water in Crysis 2 is better than in 1. Crysis 1 water had real time reflections of the environment. Crysis 2 has fuzzy offline-created env maps. No contest.

KZ3 wins for player models for me, based only on the expressions and believabilty of the characters, but Crysis' are also extremely good.

Overall... I think KZ3 is the best. That locked 30fps is what seals it.

Are you sure? Crysis 2 on my PC appears to have all the relections on but with added lighting. Not sure about the consoles. And on PC Crysis 2 is one of the smoothest and most stable PC games I've played on relatively low-end hardware... so which versions are we comparing here? Killzone 3 vs console Crysis 2 and Killzone 3 is better (although arguably Crysis 2 is doing more) whereas on PC it's a completely different story.

trasharmdsister12 said:
osamanobama said:

there is virtually no difference between killzone cutscenes and the gameplay in visual quality (same goes for uncharted and god of war)

Actually there's a fairly noticable difference. The key is the lighting and shadows. The sharpness of shadows between the pre-rendered cutscenes in the Killzone and Uncharted series vs the real-time rendered scenes is a pretty significant difference if you know where to look. Things like ambient occlusion are also way more pronounced in pre-rendered scenes vs real time cutscenes. I'm not knocking any of these games' graphics. They all look amazing and all excel in their own respects as I've mentioned above.

Also I'm not calling out just those two series. Just mentioning them as you mentioned them. God of War 3 is all in-engine afaik. Another high profile example where the cutscenes were pre-rendered is Halo 3. Halo Reach on the other hand was all real time.

no, it isn't it has prerendered cutscenes as well. you can even watch them seperately

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Doobie_wop said:

Heavy Rain

I played the first twenty minutes of Heavy Rain yesterday... and character models are superb like I never see before (better than Uncharted 2).

I'm impressed.