By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 is a technical mess.

So many bugs and glitches? Now it clearly is a PC game on consoles ;)

Around the Network

The game is fun, I mentioned that in my impressions thread, however, I also mention that the game suffers from a lot of bugs, pop in, retarded AI and many other issues.

What I can admit with Crysis 2 is that I find it fun, although as I progress I seem to be enjoying it less because the Ceph (Aliens) are so pathetic. The AI in this game should have raised red flags from reviewers and should have been graded accordingly. I am just hoping that I get out of this portion of the game and quick.

Some may think this is exagerration but you cant exagerate retarded AI. It really is some of the worst I have seen in a long time.

The scores on this game are a product of hype, plain and simple but I would still suggest people to play it.

However this game brought my fears to life. For a while now shooters have been getting some lower scores even if they were claimed to be the best looking or better than their previous titles, etc... and I was just waiting for that one game that would get a free pass on issues that others games were getting slammed for.

Here it is and it is titled "Crysis 2".

Now I feel silly for making an impression thread early and this is why I did not want to do so, but I got drunk, lol. I stated that the game was "Fantastic" and it was at that point.

Right after that same point though it started going down hill. Haha. Serves me right.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Welcome to the wild world of lack of RAM, and Processing power.  Anyone who thought Crytek's engine would fit smoothly and sweetly on console, well, they're the fanboys who claim PC gaming is overrated.  Now you get to see what running a high-end engine on underpowered hardware does.  My advice, games like BFBC3, Crysis 2, Stalker 2 etc... will be worthless on console.  Spend your money on exclusives that are made entirely for the hardware you're using.  Or don't, but expect some technical issues.  It's going to happen.

CGI-Quality said:
Doobie_wop said:

- The texture pop in is just plain bad, I'd be walking and all of a sudden a tree would just appear. It constantly happens with fire, trees, smoke, garbage bag textures, railing, signs, parts of buildings and cars. I don't really mind when it happens in some games, mainly because it's infrequent, but it's nearly constant in Crysis 2 and it's distracting when my eyes flick to the incident on a regular basis. 

- Enemies just keep getting stuck in the geometry and freaking out, it's happend four times already and in the oddest places. One falls throught he ground and his head sticks out, an alien was stuck in a wall, a soldier was stuck in a sewer fence and another was just stuck on a bus.

I had plenty of issues myself, but these are, by far, the worst ones. I would normally ignore in other titles, but in a game being pegged by some as "the best our consoles have to offer", it's very distracting and disappointing.

I've had my Reach 360 since Sept and it froze for the first time on Crysis 2. It was so bad, I couldn't continue on a mission. Every time I'd try to load it back up, it would freeze and not allow me to continue. So I had to start the mission all over again.

I really think Crytek's biggest issue (as it was with the original Crysis) is optimization. They don't optimize their engine on any device. I mean don't get me wrong, the game is gorgeous, with some of the best lighting seen to date. But it's a far cry (no pun intended) from the "graphical benchmark" it's been pegged as by some. I don't mind a few flat textures or flickering shadows, but when the problems become distracting and the pop-in is so bad, it's impossible to ignore (especially on PS3), it just makes the situation look even worse.

Yeah, I haven't had a game freeze on me since Oblivion, so I was surprised that when I went back to play the tank mission coming off the bridge, the game spazzed out and froze and I had to turn off the system. It's disappointing because I want to play and finish the game, but every time one of the bigger issues pop up, I just deflate and turn it off. Crytek should have kept it in development for a little longer, there is no excuse as to why Crysis runs like it does expect for poor optimization and a lack of focus.

I'm still pretty annoyed with the reviews, they practically tricked me into buying the game and even the sites I trusted didn't mention the issues I'm having. Maybe the retail code is buggier, I don't know, but I've decided that unless I'm familiar with the developer, I'm not going to put down money based on a review from now on.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

CGI-Quality said:
mornelithe said:

Welcome to the wild world of lack of RAM, and Processing power.  Anyone who thought Crytek's engine would fit smoothly and sweetly on console, well, they're the fanboys who claim PC gaming is overrated.  Now you get to see what running a high-end engine on underpowered hardware does.  My advice, games like BFBC3, Crysis 2, Stalker 2 etc... will be worthless on console.  Spend your money on exclusives that are made entirely for the hardware you're using.  Or don't, but expect some technical issues.  It's going to happen.

This would make more sense if the original Crysis was optimized for PC, but it too was not. No, it didn't have the issues the console versions of Crysis 2 have, but it still wasn't an ideal way to craft a game. It's much less a fault of the hardware and much more a fault of Crytek.

Crysis 1 was also their original engine, which annihilated every benchmark imaginable in gaming.  There's a big difference here.  See, you'd be absolutely correct if Warhead didn't vastly improve upon every technical issue that Crysis 1 had (which it did).  However, this is a new engine, not just upgraded from CryEngine 1, this was likely a ground-up rebuild so that it had resource management to properly utilize SPE's and PPE on the PS3 and the 360's integrated GPU and Tri-Core processor, as well as handling the tremendous amount of variety of hardware available for PC.  And how was it not optimized for PC?  One of the first DX10 games (Company of Heroes, I believe was the first), and basically held the mark that every other developer wished they could touch with regards to environmental, and character detail.  To say nothing of the Sandbox nature of Crysis 1/Warhead (which was awesome). 

Ultimately, the game's a failure, not for technical issues, but because of all the sacrifices they had to make, in order to
put it on console.  Gone is the sandbox combat, gone is the variety of the power suit (combining powers to make it easier to adapt to controller, is not what I'd call an 'improvement'), but, again, that's the sacrifice that has to be made to get things on console.  Static hardware has it's advantages, yes, but Dynamic hardware offers so much more.  And for those who enjoy it, that's great, I'm happy for ya.  However, I just don't buy those games.  I didn't make any sacrifices building my PC, and I damn sure won't pay for a game that doesn't at least come close to utilizing my hardware properly.

Around the Network

With Crysis 1 Crytek made a game that noone could even run on max at the time of release.

That's what I call a technical messssssssssss.

- The texture pop in is just plain bad, I'd be walking and all of a sudden a tree would just appear. It constantly happens with fire, trees, smoke, garbage bag textures, railing, signs, parts of buildings and cars. I don't really mind when it happens in some games, mainly because it's infrequent, but it's nearly constant in Crysis 2 and it's distracting when my eyes flick to the incident on a regular basis. 

The AI is possibly the dumbest I've played against since Metro 2033. I'd use a silencer and shoot a lone soldier on top of a building, but then every enemy on screen turns my way and shoots straight at me (makes the silencer pointless). I'd just walk up to a random soldier and they'd sometimes just stand there, looking straight at me and not doing anything. The same thing also happened when I jumped on to a building and I just walked around the soldier, he'd follow me, but he wouldn't shoot, despite every other enemy on screen shooting at me. They also rush you way too much, run in the wrong direction or crowd up to each other.

- Enemies just keep getting stuck in the geometry and freaking out, it's happend four times already and in the oddest places. One falls throught he ground and his head sticks out, an alien was stuck in a wall, a soldier was stuck in a sewer fence and another was just stuck on a bus.

i definitely agree about this, though texture pop in wasnt soo terrible for me. but the AI was awful. they got stuck, went in circles, sometimes had a hyper aweness of me, other times were completely oblivious. there were several times(i think 4) where i literally stood in front of a group of 3 or more soldiers, i jumped around, ran around them, and fired shots, and they pretended i wasnt there.

-

- Frame rate is inconsistent, sometimes it's smooth as butter, but then it just drops (Alien crash site early in the game).

- I don't know if it could be counted as a technical issues but the saving in the game pretty much sucks. It's like I'm playing a shooter from 2007. Someone needs to remind Crytek that this is 2011, their game shouldn't have a save system that reminds me of my dredge through 'Black' on the PS2.

- The final and most ridiculous issue is the one which put me over the edge. I start a mission with a gun in my hand and a bunch of enemies right below me. I go down to fight the enemies and what happens? My gun has disappeared, at first I thought it was just a part of the game, but then I died and returned back to the beginning of the mission with my gun in hand. The game glitched my gun out of existence and I couldn't be bothered killing everyone again, so I put it down for a bit.

my gun didnt load many times, and i didnt realize much of the times, and got killed often.

also i dont know if this has happened to you or any one else, but there are times when i land from a long fall or i pick press the detatch mounted weopon button, and then i cant move forward, i get stuck on an invisable wall or something. i have to stop pushing forward on the stick and then pull the sick back, then go forward again, and then the wall disapears and i go about my way.

I don't know why so many reviewers have decided to ignore these issues, even though they've brought them up against so many other games in the last year (Enslaved, Homefront, Dead Rising 2, Lords of Shadow), but I can honestly tell you that these issues exist and they shouldn't be ignored.

it definitely seems odd that reviewers glanced over this stuff, especially ign. it feels like an extremely un polished game. also the multiplayer just didnt do it for me, theres nothing special. big maps, small player count. not much replay value. but it seems this was overlooked. still a great game, but not deserving of a 9 from ign (especially when i very very very polished game in Killzone with highly praised multiplayer, gets a 8.5)

edit: i forgot about the save system. what a mess. so many times i got sent got like 15 minutes becuase i either thought i had reached a save point and quite (becasue it would seem like a likely time there would be, and most games would have save points at that spot), i died after lots of battle or the game froze. it was rather annoying.

but the game is still very fun, the story was average, but gameplay was great

My 2 cents:

Graphics are great, but better than Uncarted 2 or Killzone 3? Nope. Most of the time there's nothing happening in the scenery. look at the ocean waves and detail in the artic maps of Killzone3!

Ai sucks, sucks, sucks. This should have been a major part of rating a game. giving it a 9.4 was a joke, right? Killzone 3's ai is so much better. It does provide comic releif, though, look at that guy running back and forth!

The game has too much amo. It's everywhere. And guns. Stockpiles of the same guns and amo everywhere.

Many sections you just walk through, no action whatsoever. Others just require that you find a good hiding spot, cloak, shoot, hide, repeat. Or find the limits of the roaming of the enemy. But at this point you don't think of them as Ai, it's more like figuring out an arcade game, like circus atari.

The aliens don't do a dam thing for me. Scary? Not.Interesting? Nope. Boring? Yup.

The 3d implementation looks tacked on and sucks also. Particles are not 3d, they are fixed at infinity no matter how close you are. Same with the water from waterfalls, and the laser sight. The 3d space is mostly flat, like only the forground object's 3d is computed. Looking through some glass in windows causes a loss of 3d. The sides of the screen have a ribbon of reversed image, perhaps they did that to save framerate? The weapons also have a halo of reversed image around them, meaning they are using some sort of hack to get some 3d perhaps? Although killzone3 in 3d has texture loading issues in the Jungle map, it otherwise was vastly supperior, everything was 3d.

BUT, i'm still enjoying it, it has a Half Life2 feel. I like the somewhat openess of the maps, I hate COD's linear 'run to the next checkpoint after we figure out the script' gameplay. But i'd only give  Crysis2 a 8.0 right now, sorry. It needs a total recoding of it's AI, add more gameplay and remove some amo, fix the 3d issues. Maybe add some aliens that scare me? Farcry had that, you could die with one swat from those buggers!

It gets messier as you go along. 

Pjams said:

It gets messier as you go along. 

it deffo does, gets pretty repetitive also. also you must note there are no real boss fights!

ai remeains one of the worst and gun play is akin to metro 2033 imo, still campain was good but should have waitted for a preowned copy, waste of 39.99 for me.

and just wait till you play multiplayer, its rubbish. i usually hop to and fro between multiplayer and single player on shooters, i get more game time out of the title that way, with crysis 2 the multi was crap, hence i quickly finished single player and traded it in, got tomb raider collection and halo reach limited edition instead.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...