By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EMEAA 26th march up!

3DS adjusted down in its first week

Around the Network
pezus said:

Huge adjustment down, are they going to meet their forecast?

VGC overshipped 3DS, but Nintendo ordered stores to send them back.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

VGC adjusted 3DS down in EMEAA, from 439,206 to 346,021

I noticed that too! Within the same week too.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Alby_da_Wolf said:
pezus said:

I don't think it will. With a strong Americas launch, I don't see the 3DS being above 3 million by the end of the month. If the game came packaged with a proper launch title (say Layton made it outside Japan) I think the console would have been better off.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
pezus said:

I don't think it will. With a strong Americas launch, I don't see the 3DS being above 3 million by the end of the month. If the game came packaged with a proper launch title (say Layton made it outside Japan) I think the console would have been better off.

3 million sounds about right, or at least somewhere in that neighborhood. Sellthrough should be about 2 million after next week and there would appear to be a fair bit of stock in the channel, at least in Europe. Plus the initial shipment to Australia would have already been accounted for (launched today). Of course you also need to consider that Nintendo's shipment numbers will be till March 31st but VGC's numbers will be till April 2nd (and 3rd in Japan).

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Around the Network
postofficebuddy said:
Michael-5 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
pezus said:

3 million sounds about right, or at least somewhere in that neighborhood. Sellthrough should be about 2 million after next week and there would appear to be a fair bit of stock in the channel, at least in Europe. Plus the initial shipment to Australia would have already been accounted for (launched today). Of course you also need to consider that Nintendo's shipment numbers will be till March 31st but VGC's numbers will be till April 2nd (and 3rd in Japan).

True, but still. if it only makes 3 million on VGC, then it didn't make 4 million on an earlier date. However, it won't be long until it does sell 4 million. Definatly before the end of April, and for all we know it has shipped 4 million worldwide.

Michael-5 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
pezus said:

Japanese launch was excellent, and the first news we can read about the American one tell us about stellar sales, but it looks like lack of Layton damaged EU launch: even considering that portables are bigger in Japan than elsewhere, if we take into account EU population, more than 3 times as Japan, and American sales too, with USA plus Canada having a slightly smaller population than EU, we could have expected some more, that is, VGC numbers before adjustment looked like the minimum reasonable compared to the other regions. WW launch will be huge anyway, overall, but it could have been even bigger. We'll remain with the unsatisfied curiosity of how big a portable launch could have been if Ninty did everything at its best and full steam...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Michael-5 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
pezus said:

Japanese launch was excellent, and the first news we can read about the American one tell us about stellar sales, but it looks like lack of Layton damaged EU launch: even considering that portables are bigger in Japan than elsewhere, if we take into account EU population, more than 3 times as Japan, and American sales too, with USA plus Canada having a slightly smaller population than EU, we could have expected some more, that is, VGC numbers before adjustment looked like the minimum reasonable compared to the other regions. WW launch will be huge anyway, overall, but it could have been even bigger. We'll remain with the unsatisfied curiosity of how big a portable launch could have been if Ninty did everything at its best and full steam...

Wait Layton doesn't have an american release date yet.

I was only saying, if Layton made it as a launch title outside of Japan, then those regions would get inflated sales. Most systems without a great launch title start slow, and to be fair I don't remember the DS having that many great games when it was launched.

Give 3DS some time, after Zelda and Mario Kart, sales may pick up.

Michael-5 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Michael-5 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
pezus said:

I was only saying, if Layton made it as a launch title outside of Japan, then those regions would get inflated sales. Most systems without a great launch title start slow, and to be fair I don't remember the DS having that many great games when it was launched.

I know. But for some reason I don't know, lack of Layton hit EMEAA launch a lot more than American one, probably for European tastes its presence in the launch line-up was more important than for Americans. This doesn't imply that American don't like Layton as much as Europeans, but perhaps the games already available made 3DS more appealing for the former than for the latter. Price and average income could have played a role too, 3DS is cheaper in USA, while American average income is higher than that of most European countries.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Michael-5 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Michael-5 said:

I know. But for some reason I don't know, lack of Layton hit EMEAA launch a lot more than American one, probably for European tastes its presence in the launch line-up was more important than for Americans. This doesn't imply that American don't like Layton as much as Europeans, but perhaps the games already available made 3DS more appealing for the former than for the latter. Price and average income could have played a role too, 3DS is cheaper in USA, while American average income is higher than that of most European countries.

True. Super Street Fighter IV, Pilot Wings Resorts and Nintendogs are probably enough for Americas. Still if Layton was a worldwide launch title, I could see 200k extra sales outside Japan.