By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect owners, are you satisfied?

Kinect owners, are you satisfied?

For the most part, yes. 93 34.44%

No, not at all 89 32.96%

Crysis 2 has the best graphics, EVA! 88 32.59%

Total:270

For the most part I'm satisfied with Kinect. I haven't played it as much lately because I'm waiting for more games to release, but once there are I will definitely play it a lot more because it's a awesome piece of technology. If someone asked me if they should buy Kinect at this moment and time I would tell them to wait till the holiday arrives. 

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
AussieGecko said:

for those who voted the second choice please let themselves known... its not a valid response if you havent played it

I voted the third option just to be nice to save some people the grief of honesty.

What would have been the honest response considering you don't own Kinect?

How many people have voiced that they've tried it but did not care for it?  Nothing wrong with that.  Also, Aussie did say "if you havent played it."  He didn't specifically said "own."  And you don't have to own something to give a valid assessment anyway.  An honest response would be the truth.  I tried it, it doesn't fit my style of gameplay, and there is no compelling software for Kinect what will justify its cost for me.  Honestly.

Thread title - "Kinect owners, are you satisfied?"

Your response in this thread "I voted the third option just to be nice to save some people the grief of honesty."

Stop trolling.

Cannot stop something you didn't start.  Besides, Aussie was stealth trolling by claiming that those who voted NOT in favor of Kinect are not being honest.  The same can be said about those who voted in favor of Kinect.  There are Xbox 360 acolytes who would say anything positive about the Xbox 360 just because it has Microsoft's name on it.  It's very possible a lot of the votes in favor of Kinect are by those who haven't even tried it yet.  You want to point out my "trolling" yet you did not point out Aussie's trolling because I did not favor Kinect and he did?  Not that's trolling.

Ah, the old "he started it" and "other people are doing it" excuses.

LivingMetal said:
AussieGecko said:

for those who voted the second choice please let themselves known... its not a valid response if you havent played it

I voted the third option just to be nice to save some people the grief of honesty.

if you played it and genuineally dont like it then the second option is for you, i dont mind if you have but i doubt the percentage is that skewed tbh

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

LivingMetal said:

Cannot stop something you didn't start.  Besides, Aussie was stealth trolling by claiming that those who voted NOT in favor of Kinect are not being honest.  The same can be said about those who voted in favor of Kinect.  There are Xbox 360 acolytes who would say anything positive about the Xbox 360 just because it has Microsoft's name on it.  It's very possible a lot of the votes in favor of Kinect are by those who haven't even tried it yet.  You want to point out my "trolling" yet you did not point out Aussie's trolling because I did not favor Kinect and he did?  Not that's trolling.

You cant say someone is trolling, if you have a problem with me report me, what I was questioning was completely an honest question. There is a 3rd option to vote if you havent played. And wtf am I trolling?

Again point where I am trolling. This is proof you are a shit stirrer against me

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
AussieGecko said:

How many people have voiced that they've tried it but did not care for it?  Nothing wrong with that.  Also, Aussie did say "if you havent played it."  He didn't specifically said "own."  And you don't have to own something to give a valid assessment anyway.  An honest response would be the truth.  I tried it, it doesn't fit my style of gameplay, and there is no compelling software for Kinect what will justify its cost for me.  Honestly.

Your response in this thread "I voted the third option just to be nice to save some people the grief of honesty."

Stop trolling.

Cannot stop something you didn't start.  Besides, Aussie was stealth trolling by claiming that those who voted NOT in favor of Kinect are not being honest.  The same can be said about those who voted in favor of Kinect.  There are Xbox 360 acolytes who would say anything positive about the Xbox 360 just because it has Microsoft's name on it.  It's very possible a lot of the votes in favor of Kinect are by those who haven't even tried it yet.  You want to point out my "trolling" yet you did not point out Aussie's trolling because I did not favor Kinect and he did?  Now that's trolling.

Ah, the old "turning a blind eye when it doesn't fit my agenda" perspective and "pointing the finger when it does" accusation, hypocritcal.  I'm not the one making false accusations here.  You are by claiming I'm a troll. You asked for an honest response.  I gave you one.  If the only answers you can accept are pro-Xbox 360, don't ask questions that can and will honestly go in the opposite direction. 

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:
LivingMetal said:

You cant say someone is trolling, if you have a problem with me report me, what I was questioning was completely an honest question. There is a 3rd option to vote if you havent played. And wtf am I trolling?

Again point where I am trolling. This is proof you are a shit stirrer against me

You just highlighed it for me.  Thanks for stirring your own shit.  And stop stalking me.

LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
AussieGecko said:

Stop trolling.

Cannot stop something you didn't start.  Besides, Aussie was stealth trolling by claiming that those who voted NOT in favor of Kinect are not being honest.  The same can be said about those who voted in favor of Kinect.  There are Xbox 360 acolytes who would say anything positive about the Xbox 360 just because it has Microsoft's name on it.  It's very possible a lot of the votes in favor of Kinect are by those who haven't even tried it yet.  You want to point out my "trolling" yet you did not point out Aussie's trolling because I did not favor Kinect and he did?  Now that's trolling.

Ah, the old "turning a blind eye when it doesn't fit my agenda" perspective and "pointing the finger when it does" accusation, hypocritcal.  I'm not the one making false accusations here.  You are by claiming I'm a troll. You asked for an honest response.  I gave you one.  If the only answers you can accept are pro-Xbox 360, don't ask questions that can and will honestly go in the opposite direction. 

Someone who doesn't own an Xbox coming into the Microsoft forum as well as not owning a Kinect and coming into a thread title specifically targetted at OWNERS of Kinect and who have their sig dedicated to promoting the Sony Move should not be accusing other people of having an agenda.

As far as I can tell Aussie wasn't trolling as at least he had a valid reason for even being in this thread in the first place.  Meanwhile you used the phrase "the grief of honesty" which means you assumed that bashing Kinect would upset people, especially coming from you.  At the same time claiming it's you "being nice" which is just being condescending.

That's pretty much the definition of trolling right there.

Of course, then you accuse me of making false accusations for saying you were trolling right after trying to defend your actions by saying "Aussie was stealth trolling".  Yeah, hypocritical indeed.

daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
AussieGecko said:

Stop trolling.

Someone who doesn't own an Xbox coming into the Microsoft forum as well as not owning a Kinect and coming into a thread title specifically targetted at OWNERS of Kinect and who have their sig dedicated to promoting the Sony Move should not be accusing other people of having an agenda.

As far as I can tell Aussie wasn't trolling as at least he had a valid reason for even being in this thread in the first place.  Meanwhile you used the phrase "the grief of honesty" which means you assumed that bashing Kinect would upset people, especially coming from you.  At the same time claiming it's you "being nice" which is just being condescending.

That's pretty much the definition of trolling right there.

Of course, then you accuse me of making false accusations for saying you were trolling right after trying to defend your actions by saying "Aussie was stealth trolling".  Yeah, hypocritical indeed.

???

None of the given answers perfectly fits my opinion of Kinect, which is why I prefer to tell my opinion of Kinect in detail. It's rather detailled, so if it's too long for you simply don't read it.

I should start by admitting that I was never very interested in Kinect games. Being a software developer always interested in new gadgets, I was somewhat interested in experimenting a bit around with the new technology, but I wasn't really interested in Kinect games. It's interesting technology of course, I definitely see the possibilities TOF cameras like Kinect offer in certain areas like robotics. But when it comes to gaming, I considered the expensive 150$ Kinect hardware to offer only few advantages over a cheap 5$ webcam/microphone (low light conditions for example). And I thought that the absence of any kind of controller would mean that Kinect only fits a very limited range of games: Sports, Dance, Fitness games and mini games - so exactly the genres that the EyeToy was known for.

I was never willing to pay 149 for Kinect, but with Kinect street prices constantly dropping I recently ended up buying Kinect when I saw a Kinect PLUS Kinect Adventures PLUS Dance Central bundle offered for 130 bucks. By selling the sealed copy of Dance Central I effectively paid about 100 for the Kinect hardware, which I think is okay. I didn't actually touch it for some time, but when friends came over I thought that would be a good time to finally give Kinect a try and I rented the three most popular Kinect games: Kinect Sports, Dance Central and Your Shape.

Installation was surprisingly short and easy. Rearranging the furniture to meet the space requirements for example was less of a problem than I was originally expecting. There was no setup for speech or face recognition at all (probably not available in my country) and part of the audio calibration constantly failed and I had to skip over it though.

The games however left me with mixed feelings.

The first game we played (and my most anticipated title) was Kinect Sports, as it is the most successful title so far and most people say it's the best. Maybe I was influenced by this and had too high expectations, because I was rather disappointed and thought it was the worst of those three games. Lag was very noticeable in Kinect sports, and the whole experience was somewhat unsatisfactory. Table tennis for example felt just like Wii Sports Tennis: With alcohol and friends around, I'm sure you can have fun with both games - but that doesn't change the fact that both are pretty much just waggle controls without deepness; as long as you do any kind of movement, it seemed almost impossible to miss the table. The hurdle race just sucked and bowling felt almost random. The only sport I kinda liked was football - too bad I could only play a single game before my knee hurt soo bad I had to stop... :(

Using no controller was interesting at first, but within minutes the initial excitement over not needing a controller was gone and I started to miss a controller, at least for games like table-tennis or bowling where your arms and hands do all the main work. Football was the only sport in this collection where the Kinect control scheme seemed like an improvement over a 5 years old Wii Remote.

Dance Central was next. Lag seemed to be better than in Kinect Sports, but since we were only blokes and none of us was a big fan of dancing we didn't play it for long. But in the right situation, at a big party with alcohol/drugs and chicks around, I guess people could really have lots of fun with it.

When my friends were gone I also tried Your Shape, and it was actually the game I liked best. It's the perfect example of a game where a controller is completely unnecessary at best and full body motion capture is really useful as it can check you're doing the exercises right etc. I didn't play it for long, but I liked what I saw. If a see a good offer for that game, I might actually buy it.

All in all, Kinect was neither better nor worse than I thought - it turned out to be exactly what I was expecting: a quite expensive input device that (like a microphone, steering wheel, Balance Board, dance mat or plastic guitar) improves the user experience of a limited range of games, but is useless in most other games, at least without an additional controller.
When it comes to games, I still consider it to be pretty much just an expensive EyeToy . The biggest and most obvious difference when compared to the EyeToy is the frequent use of skeleton tracking. Microsoft has really done an impressive job there, dozens of first class software developers spent thousands of hours on that. But in the end that's a pure software thingy - even Microsoft says in one of their ads that the skeleton tracking software they developed is actually the most important innovation about Kinect, not the expensive TOF camera hardware.

Bottom line: Yes, I expect Kinect to take a similar path as the Wii: It's all fun, innovative, interesting etc. at first - but the novelty wears off very soon and people will lose interest in it. Because in the long run, I believe people will only use motion controls where it really improves the experience, where it's really an improvement over alternative control schemes. Unfortunately, there are very few games where this is the case - even in games where motion controls make perfect sense, a motion controller is usually the better choice.

Leg tracking - that's where Kinect can still shine. But in general, I consider PS Move to be better, because it combines the key features of both Wii Remote and Kinect: PS Move is technically capable of doing almost anything the Wii Remote/Wii Motion Plus can, but it can be used in a controller-less, Kinect-like way as well, as for example Kung Fu Hustle demonstrates.

ArnoldRimmer said:

None of the given answers perfectly fits my opinion of Kinect, which is why I prefer to tell my opinion of Kinect in detail. It's rather detailled, so if it's too long for you simply don't read it.

I should start by admitting that I was never very interested in Kinect games. Being a software developer always interested in new gadgets, I was somewhat interested in experimenting a bit around with the new technology, but I wasn't really interested in Kinect games. It's interesting technology of course, I definitely see the possibilities TOF cameras like Kinect offer in certain areas like robotics. But when it comes to gaming, I considered the expensive 150$ Kinect hardware to offer only few advantages over a cheap 5$ webcam/microphone (low light conditions for example). And I thought that the absence of any kind of controller would mean that Kinect only fits a very limited range of games: Sports, Dance, Fitness games and mini games - so exactly the genres that the EyeToy was known for.

I was never willing to pay 149 for Kinect, but with Kinect street prices constantly dropping I recently ended up buying Kinect when I saw a Kinect PLUS Kinect Adventures PLUS Dance Central bundle offered for 130 bucks. By selling the sealed copy of Dance Central I effectively paid about 100 for the Kinect hardware, which I think is okay. I didn't actually touch it for some time, but when friends came over I thought that would be a good time to finally give Kinect a try and I rented the three most popular Kinect games: Kinect Sports, Dance Central and Your Shape.

Installation was surprisingly short and easy. Rearranging the furniture to meet the space requirements for example was less of a problem than I was originally expecting. There was no setup for speech or face recognition at all (probably not available in my country) and part of the audio calibration constantly failed and I had to skip over it though.

The games however left me with mixed feelings.

The first game we played (and my most anticipated title) was Kinect Sports, as it is the most successful title so far and most people say it's the best. Maybe I was influenced by this and had too high expectations, because I was rather disappointed and thought it was the worst of those three games. Lag was very noticeable in Kinect sports, and the whole experience was somewhat unsatisfactory. Table tennis for example felt just like Wii Sports Tennis: With alcohol and friends around, I'm sure you can have fun with both games - but that doesn't change the fact that both are pretty much just waggle controls without deepness; as long as you do any kind of movement, it seemed almost impossible to miss the table. The hurdle race just sucked and bowling felt almost random. The only sport I kinda liked was football - too bad I could only play a single game before my knee hurt soo bad I had to stop... :(

Using no controller was interesting at first, but within minutes the initial excitement over not needing a controller was gone and I started to miss a controller, at least for games like table-tennis or bowling where your arms and hands do all the main work. Football was the only sport in this collection where the Kinect control scheme seemed like an improvement over a 5 years old Wii Remote.

Dance Central was next. Lag seemed to be better than in Kinect Sports, but since we were only blokes and none of us was a big fan of dancing we didn't play it for long. But in the right situation, at a big party with alcohol/drugs and chicks around, I guess people could really have lots of fun with it.

When my friends were gone I also tried Your Shape, and it was actually the game I liked best. It's the perfect example of a game where a controller is completely unnecessary at best and full body motion capture is really useful as it can check you're doing the exercises right etc. I didn't play it for long, but I liked what I saw. If a see a good offer for that game, I might actually buy it.

All in all, Kinect was neither better nor worse than I thought - it turned out to be exactly what I was expecting: a quite expensive input device that (like a microphone, steering wheel, Balance Board, dance mat or plastic guitar) improves the user experience of a limited range of games, but is useless in most other games, at least without an additional controller.
When it comes to games, I still consider it to be pretty much just an expensive EyeToy . The biggest and most obvious difference when compared to the EyeToy is the frequent use of skeleton tracking. Microsoft has really done an impressive job there, dozens of first class software developers spent thousands of hours on that. But in the end that's a pure software thingy - even Microsoft says in one of their ads that the skeleton tracking software they developed is actually the most important innovation about Kinect, not the expensive TOF camera hardware.

Bottom line: Yes, I expect Kinect to take a similar path as the Wii: It's all fun, innovative, interesting etc. at first - but the novelty wears off very soon and people will lose interest in it. Because in the long run, I believe people will only use motion controls where it really improves the experience, where it's really an improvement over alternative control schemes. Unfortunately, there are very few games where this is the case - even in games where motion controls make perfect sense, a motion controller is usually the better choice.

Leg tracking - that's where Kinect can still shine. But in general, I consider PS Move to be better, because it combines the key features of both Wii Remote and Kinect: PS Move is technically capable of doing almost anything the Wii Remote/Wii Motion Plus can, but it can be used in a controller-less, Kinect-like way as well, as for example Kung Fu Hustle demonstrates.

A very good post.  Everything you posted was backed up with what I believe are honest to God legit reasons.  I seem to enjoy certain games a bit more than you did but differing opinions should be expected.  Anyway, glad you took the time to make that post.  It was exactly what I was looking for.