By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo holding off till 2015, is that even possible?

Qays said:

I honestly don't understand what Nintendo hopes to achieve by launching a new, more powerful Wii. Core gamers aren't going to buy it because of how awful the first Wii's core library has been, and the blue ocean crowd isn't going to buy it because they don't care about graphics. The only people I can see buying it are the "Nintendo core"; the people who will buy a system just to access the newest iterations of Mario and Zelda - in other words, the people who bought the Gamecube. And that should be a terrifying thought for Nintendo.

Who says itwill be just a more powerful Wii?  If anything, it'll be something revolutionary, and it won't be called Wii 2, it will be more powerful, but the power will not be its selling point

Around the Network

Bringing up the Wii's library is irrelevant as far as a successor goes as devs no longer have the choice of choosing platforms, saying Xbox and PS4 will be all super powerful and make things seem old is all well and good but the problem behind this logic is the development cost would be through the roof. This is the problem Sony and MS will face the blue crowd will always follow Nintendo as things stand because they're a brand to them plus Nintendo caters to them consistently, a console of PS3/360 power may not be the most powerful by then but it'll be sufficient for devs to port over multiplatforms with little hassle, be cheap both in price and development cost by then and this is all Nintendo needs.

Developers can't bet against Nintendo's next console like they did with the Wii not with rising costs.

no i definitely don't think that Nintendo could/will wait that long

I agree with most in this thread when they say (late) 2012 for the next wii, but if Sony and Micrsoft do decide to wait till 2015 then I could see Nintendo deciding to hold off a little longer for Wii 2 but not 2015

Sony and Microsoft could wait but I don't think they will

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

If Sony and Microsoft launch in 2015 but Nintendo launch in 2012 or whatever, then I don't really think that "generations" will be there anymore.

Carl2291 said:

If Sony and Microsoft launch in 2015 but Nintendo launch in 2012 or whatever, then I don't really think that "generations" will be there anymore.

I really doubt Sony and S would also let Nintendo get a 3 year head start on their next console, for a few reasons, even if you assume that the 360 and PS3 are future proof for another 4-5 years (they are't but lets say for the sake of argument), we've seen this gen that its not really about tech, and if Nintendo follows its trend, the next system will have some revolutionary feature, as well as added power, and the nintendo library of games, basically, intendo would have years of unanswered prosperity and market growth, even now, the PS3 and 360 are no where near the Wii at its height, in fact they are closer to Wii as it is now, PS3 a little above and 360 a bit below, not really setting the world on fire in sales, and you can be sure a new Nintendo system will negatively impact their sales.

Its also possible, but not necessarily likely, considering third party hate of Nintendo, that the next nintendo console will start attracting a stronger third party lineup with such a headstart.

Which is why I think if Nintendo launches in late 2012, then Sony and MS wil launch by the end of 2013 at the latest

Around the Network

Nobody is wating until 2015. That's absolutely crazy to even consider true in any way.

2012 and maybe 2013 at the latest for everyone.

Carl2291 said:

But SEGA MEGA DRIVE/GENESIS was launched in Japan on October , 1988 and the US August, 1989. starting the Forth Gen 2 years before NINTENDO launched the Super Famicom/SNES in Japan November, 1990, and US in August, 1991 and both were called Forth Gen systems. 

his also enabled SEGA to gain 54% of the US Market at the time, later SEGA launched the Dreamcast in Japan November 1998 and in the US in September, 1999 and the Dreamcast was conted as a Sixth Gen System like the SONY PS2 and launched in 2000 in Japan and the US. if the Dreamcast had used a DVD-ROM instead of a GD-ROM then SEGA would have done much better against SONY. the PS2 itself had about a 2 year head start on GCN and XBOX.  

I have said it before and I will say it again a Gen starts with the first system to launch not the last system despite what SONY said before this Gen started.     

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

axt113 said:
Qays said:

I honestly don't understand what Nintendo hopes to achieve by launching a new, more powerful Wii. Core gamers aren't going to buy it because of how awful the first Wii's core library has been, and the blue ocean crowd isn't going to buy it because they don't care about graphics. The only people I can see buying it are the "Nintendo core"; the people who will buy a system just to access the newest iterations of Mario and Zelda - in other words, the people who bought the Gamecube. And that should be a terrifying thought for Nintendo.

Who says itwill be just a more powerful Wii?  If anything, it'll be something revolutionary, and it won't be called Wii 2, it will be more powerful, but the power will not be its selling point

Nintendo exec's and developers have stated several times that Nintendo's next system will allow developers to do things they couldn't do on any other platform. Sakamoto said our jaws will drop when we see Nintendo's next system. Miyamoto in 2006 confirmed that Nintendo's next system would support HD. But other then that we have no idea what Nintendo has in store.

Also I heard it reported that Nintendo spent around half a billion dollars a year for the last few years on R&D. That is an awful lot more then the nearly 300-mill that was spent the year Wii launched. During the GameCube era I believe it was said to be around 150-mill a year. With that kind of financial backing R&D should be able to come up with something mind blowing.

Also remember Kinect? Nintendo said they had been offered the technology first but didn't think it was viable or worth the investment. They were already working on technology they thought had more potential then camera control. What ever Nintendo is cooking up I'm sure it will be powerful but at the same time revolutionary.

The next Nintendo console will be something unique and origional. If Nintendo's word has face value, which I believe it does. It will appeal to the core Nintendo gamers, the Blue Ocean soccer mom's and probably more so called hardcore gamers then even the Wii did!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

I expect the next gen to start in 2013 at the latest; for all 3 makers. By 2015 iPhone7 will be more powerful and have better production values on it's $5.99 games than the PS360 $60 games. That's unsustainable. And having PS360 PC multiplat titles will be nigh on impossible. 3rd party HD developers are pretty much wedded to PC/PS3/360 multiplats so MS and to a lesser extent Sony need for their consoles to get not too far out of touch weith PCs. PC's are going to get 10Gig RAM, 2Gig graphics cards, and 8GHz processors before long.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Just because Sony and MS say this generation will/can last 10 years doesn`t mean it will actually will.
Even if Nintendo introduces a Wii 2 superior to PS3 and Xbox 360, MS and Sony could just do a Wii and present a revamped Xbox360 and PS3. That would save them money and could be their opportunity to follow Nintendo, supposing Nintendo releases Wii 2 first - which i do.

Waiting 1 full year or 2/3 years more after Nintendo releases a new console before MS and Sony release new consoles would get them what? No way Xbox360 and PS3 would sell like they do now. Giving the current market leader that big of an advantage would be like suicide.

We shouldn`t think of the next gen as a more powerful system. More than ever, all of them need to seriously innovate to keep casual/social gamers interested in this market.
It`s not a question of how powerful next gen consoles will be, it`s how will they innovate to keep the market becoming stale and uninteresting.