By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Classic games on PSN!

There are quite a few midway classic games coming. 5-6 total. If the sales are amazing... You know more will follow suit tho.

There are... 10 or 11 PSN games as of now, That is not counting the PS1 games for the PSP. The biggest PSN game of 1st half 2007 is coming out I think next week.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
stof said:

Kwaad's post was just fine everybody. Give him a break.

As for the release. It could be good for Sony if they keep it up. If the PSN turns into a value added Virtual Console, releasing two or three every week. So far it is just one game though. Anyone know if they have more in the works?  Infact, how many games are there on the PSN? so far it sounds like not many.

Well i am sure that there will be more very soon depending on how the ones they have sell..The Fact is Sony is going in the right directin on PSN and its by far the best value on any console and the fact i buy a game with this crazy stuff called money I don't have to "think"about how much i am paying.The PSN is still fairly young and seems to be coming up quite well and it's free

RolStoppable said:

The problem with this value adding (mostly online features) on the PSN and Xbox live arcade (on live adding those features is a must) is that it is adding a significant increase in costs for the respective companies, that's why most studios hesitate to bring more classic games to psn/live.

Putting games on the virtual console costs next to nothing, that's why we see so many new games per week at a steady flow. It might be less value for the same or more money for some people, but I guess most people prefer to have the option to choose from a wide range of games instead of a few good ones or games that have extra features they didn't have when they were first released.

Kind of reminds me why the N64 and gamecube failed to take a bigger marketshare: most people prefer to have the option to choose from a wide range of games (even if most of them are mediocre) instead of a few good ones. Quantity matters more than quality.

From a developers stand-point. Your right. From a buyers stand-point. Your WRONG.

Cheaper+more = better. 100% of the time.

Chances are a good value like that will sell MANY more games than... more expensive+broke = less.
The improved game will sell tens of thousands. Think of it this way, a network programmer on the payroll with no projects to work on. Put him on that for 2 months. About 10,000$. Now that you have that added feature 2x more people want it, and now they sell 50,000 copies instead of 25,000 copies. Now you look at the numbers there. That is a big number. That is 250,000$ total, and if you cound what sony takes, that is still a good 125,000$.

EDIT: Northstar - That is one of my big things about games. 'value' Was it a great game? Was it worth 20$/hour? 2$/hour. For the actual gameplay you get out of the game. A great game is worth more for hour for hour than a horrible game. However as a rule of thumb, a great game will get more bang-for-buck as well as more entertainment for time. As a horrible game wont be played as much. A prime example.

WarioWare: Smooth Moves - 50$ I beat it in about 2 hours, and I felt like it was a 20$ game. That put each hour to 25$... on a game that felt very B-. I wouldnt have (meant) to pay more than 1$/hour for that game.

Motorstorm - 60$. I beat it in about 10-20 hours, and have spent about 10 hours online. That gives me about 25hours total. That is about 2.50$/hour for gameplay. I think motorstorm is an amazing game and I enjoy it muchly.

I find if a game is worth the money or not by a simple thing.

Great games are worth more... hour for hour than a horrible game. Total game play-time determines how much time I spent with it. Overall giveing me a "goal money per hour for quality" and "actual money per hour."

If the actual money per hour is higher than "goal money per hour" say crap game, and never buy another game with that name on it.

If it is like WarioWare, I go on a vacation from the entire console. (I was that mad)

Zelda is the only game worth it's meat for value I feel. (so far) 

Nice. I like MK2 better. The price of vc games is a little high I have always felt. I will probably only ever buy NES and SNES games and I think they should be priced at $3 and $6. But, hey I still have purchased 3 titles and will buy 3 or 4 more in the next couple of days.

As for Kwaad's value rating. Zelda:TP, I got off of ebay for $40. I have spent 54 hours so far playing. Still have probably 2-4 hours or so left I think. I am about to go back to the castle and fight Gannondorf. That's less than a dollar an hour.

There are just as many easily beatable games on PS machines as their are on Nintendo. Cmon. Short games like Wario Ware are not intended to be one time play epic games like Zelda. They are intended to be games you play 1000 times over. Thus, getting you the hour per dollar you like. I love how you always add online play to games like motorstorm but leave out the continuous playability of party games like wario ware or wii sports.

I am going to be dead honest here (no flamebaiting) If the VC had their games a little bit cheaper I would go on a shopping spree. I am kinda ticked off at some purchases I made on live so am approching these games very cautiously.

WORMS ON LIVE DOES NOT HAVE THE HOLY HAND GRENADE

how could they do this to me........ There are many other little jabs here and there to the purchases I have made but I am not diving in until I find sufficiant value for my purchases. 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

The problem with this value adding (mostly online features) on the PSN and Xbox live arcade (on live adding those features is a must) is that it is adding a significant increase in costs for the respective companies, that's why most studios hesitate to bring more classic games to psn/live.

Putting games on the virtual console costs next to nothing, that's why we see so many new games per week at a steady flow. It might be less value for the same or more money for some people, but I guess most people prefer to have the option to choose from a wide range of games instead of a few good ones or games that have extra features they didn't have when they were first released.

Kind of reminds me why the N64 and gamecube failed to take a bigger marketshare: most people prefer to have the option to choose from a wide range of games (even if most of them are mediocre) instead of a few good ones. Quantity matters more than quality.

I'd like to see more content, but Nintendo could easily release their entire library in one week so it's not like they aren't holding back as well. The difference (and why they could release their entire library) is I can already play all the old games with emulators on every modern console, PDA, and PC. I've been playing old games on my PSP for awhile now. I would on my PC more if I had a controller (I'm waiting for bluetooth drivers for my PS3 controller at this point...at least hoping). There's just no reason to pay $8 (instead of $5 for the PSN MK2) for a game I can play for free on my PSP and take it anywhere.  In fact, I'm sure there are emulators out enabling people to play old games on the Wii by now.

I played warioware for about 2 hours and enjoyed it. I played it for another 4 hours in disbeleif that I got ripped out of 50$. Thinking I was missing something.

Yes, your right, there are short games on any console. Any platform.

On the PS3 they cost about 5-7$

And on the PS2 they usually cost around 20$

Why on the Wii do they cost 50$?

Yeah, I dont like game changes on new releases. However due to the N64 problems, those games are on my -do not buy- list. Also, 10$ feels kinda steep for a 10 year old game.

There just really arent many games that intrest me comming out tho. I hate to say it but I have bought 3 things off the PSN and gonna buy a 4th next week, and possibly buy 1 or 2 more in the near future as well.

I only have 2 games from the Virtual Console. And we are looking at a 3rd one to possibly buy, but the fact you have to buy the stupid Wii-card, that means I'm gonna have 17$ sitting on nintendo... with nothing coming that intrests me besides Act Raiser coming this summer.

I am looking at 2 things in the next month from PSN, and if I add Mortal Kombat that will be 3. It's just, that the games I buy from the PSN, are real games. New, creative. What the Wii is. I just dont pay NEAR as much as a full budget Wii game. 

I just want to get two things out of the way.

1. I hate Mortal Kombat. The controls have always felt broken and it's (IMHO) awful compared to other 2d fighters. The series succeeded via shock value, not being a good game.

2. All the next gen consoles do an awful job of emulating these classic titles, especially the 360 and PS3 - but that's because they're in HD.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

NorthStar said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
windbane said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jstam said:
No its actually just better value, plain and simple.......

I'm not arguing that. My point is that kwaad cares more about it favoring Sony than any real value of the price and features.

So what. Most people on this forum are biased one way or another. However, he was dead on telling the truth about the value of this deal. Why you choose now to get all upset is beyond me. Do you have a PS3? If not, are you jealous and upset you can't play it? Seriously, there are much better times to attack him than this when he's 100% correct.

He's praising it for the wrong reasons. He's just giving Sony empty flattery, with no value to the praise.

or maybe you are attacking him for the wrong reasons.Online play on MK2 is awesome and all I hve to do is pay 5dollars no fees to play online its like playing in the Arcade again.This is the Best MK game ever.I don't think that this is empty flattery it seems like you just want to disagree and hate sony? so should any post from you from now on be deemed Sony hating? You also claim there is no Value to his praise I think the Value is backed up by how many agree this Is an Awesome value to a PS3 owner

Where did I deny that it is a good value? I didn't. I'm just pointing out that kwaad doesn't really think it is. He only thinks it's a good way to make Sony look better than the other guys. I'm not arguing with the numbers ($5 vs $8, and no online vs online), but when numbers don't favor Sony, kwaad does argue against them, even making up facts to suit his views.

Basically, if kwaad didn't have a habit of lying to make Sony look better, I would believe he actually thinks this is a good deal. Right now, it doesn't matter that it is a good deal. Of course it is, but kwaad cares more about making Sony look good than that it actually is a good deal.

He didn't start a "Hey, look at this cool game deal," thread. He started a "Look at what Sony is doing better than the other guys," thread, that's disguised as the former.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
NorthStar said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
windbane said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jstam said:
No its actually just better value, plain and simple.......

I'm not arguing that. My point is that kwaad cares more about it favoring Sony than any real value of the price and features.

So what. Most people on this forum are biased one way or another. However, he was dead on telling the truth about the value of this deal. Why you choose now to get all upset is beyond me. Do you have a PS3? If not, are you jealous and upset you can't play it? Seriously, there are much better times to attack him than this when he's 100% correct.

He's praising it for the wrong reasons. He's just giving Sony empty flattery, with no value to the praise.

or maybe you are attacking him for the wrong reasons.Online play on MK2 is awesome and all I hve to do is pay 5dollars no fees to play online its like playing in the Arcade again.This is the Best MK game ever.I don't think that this is empty flattery it seems like you just want to disagree and hate sony? so should any post from you from now on be deemed Sony hating? You also claim there is no Value to his praise I think the Value is backed up by how many agree this Is an Awesome value to a PS3 owner

Where did I deny that it is a good value? I didn't. I'm just pointing out that kwaad doesn't really think it is. He only thinks it's a good way to make Sony look better than the other guys. I'm not arguing with the numbers ($5 vs $8, and no online vs online), but when numbers don't favor Sony, kwaad does argue against them, even making up facts to suit his views.

Basically, if kwaad didn't have a habit of lying to make Sony look better, I would believe he actually thinks this is a good deal. Right now, it doesn't matter that it is a good deal. Of course it is, but kwaad cares more about making Sony look good than that it actually is a good deal.

He didn't start a "Hey, look at this cool game deal," thread. He started a "Look at what Sony is doing better than the other guys," thread, that's disguised as the former.

holy god are you paranoid....take a break from the interweb