By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 review thread

selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:

Oh snap. All reviewers all claiming Crysis 2 the NEW GRAPHICAL KING ON CONSOLES. And ALL say 360 version better.

What now?

All reviewers are NOT saying that selnor. Have you not been reading what reviews (and specifics regarding graphics) I've posted? Only IGN called it that, while others just acknowledge it's graphical beauty. Others flat out say it's still behind Killzone 3 &/or Uncharted 2. Be fair about it man.

Um so far Ive posted over 10 in the op. If you might of noticed. The only game they are comparing Crysis 2 on 360 to is Crysis 1. That says everything. Absolutely everything.

You wrong quoted the GiantBomb review in OP... they are disapointed with console visual.

"The game's best visual trick is light bloom, which makes the indoor-to-outdoor transitions look nice, but the game also does this a few different times, with each subsequent use of the trick being less and less impressive. Also, it's easy to see the level of detail popping back and forth between low and high textures, and some objects, like bushes or small posts, completely disappear if you get far enough away from them. In a game with cloaking, where you're constantly watching for another player to decloak in front of you, the vanishing objects get a little more aggravating than it would be in most other games. But that definitely doesn't mean that Crysis 2 looks terrible. Artistically, it's really nice, with good-looking environments and decent, albeit repetitive enemies. The lighting and shadows are well-done, also. But if you're coming to Crysis 2 expecting Crytek to raise the bar and blow you away all over again, you might be disappointed with the way the console versions perform."

Around the Network
damefan said:
ethomaz said:
damefan said:

And apparently CVG calls it the best looking console FPS game to date. That makes 4 mentions.

Fixed.

Except Killzone 3 is regarded as the best looking console game and its a FPS. Therefore Crysis 2 has taken the crown.

Most reviews agree Uncharted 2 is the console king... not Killzone 3.

So is this a review thread or a graphics thread?  *sigh*

Enough with hyperbole.  It sounds like its one of the best looking games on any console by far.  I wish all reviewers would make those kinds of statements instead of personal declarations of "TEH BEST EVAR".  Grow up, gaming journalist ...

selnor said:
ethomaz said:
damefan said:

And apparently CVG calls it the best looking console FPS game to date. That makes 4 mentions.

Fixed.

Joystiq

Videogamer

Eurogamer.

Yeah. FPS. Uncharted 2 is the best locking game on consoles yet IMO.

damefan said:
mantlepiecek said:
damefan said:
mantlepiecek said:
damefan said:
mantlepiecek said:

Oh and theres supposed to be frame-rate problems on consoles according to Digitalfoundry.

Dude give it up. Reviews are pouring in and some are saying its the best looking console game while others are saying its up there. I've played the first 45 minutes of Crysis 2, beat Killzone 3, and beat Uncharted 2 twice and so far Crysis 2 is the best looking console game I've played.

Like CGI said, there's only one mention.

I am saying the fact that crysis 2 has frame rate problems according to Digitalfoundry, and hence why they have advised to get it on the PC.

No there are at least 2 mentions of it being the best and plenty of other mentions of it being with the best. Is CGI your dad? CGI is not the end all be all of what is the best looking game out there, but if you think he is then more power to you.

OKAY, 2 mentions. Big deal. You want to count the number of reviews that flat out deny it being the graphic king?

And why the insult for CGI, really. He replied to you and I replied back since you quoted me.

And btw all the PS3 top exclusives run silky smooth with no screen tearing, except for Heavy Rain ^-^.

[And at 720p HD ;)]

There was no insult for CGI. I think you may want to pick up a dictionary and look up what the word means. I was mentioning that you can't make up your mind about a game, but I guess that would be hard since you haven't even played it so you have no idea what it looks like compared to UC2 and Killzone 3. And its up to 4 mentions about best looking game on console.

The PSU review only calls it the best looking shooter so they are not confident that it looks better then God of War 3.

So, yeah, still not the graphics king. Also it may depend because some people won't consider Uncharted 2 to be a shooter because its not as shooting oriented as Call of duty or gears of war, so its possible they think that's better.

Even KZ3 wasn't called the best looking game by PSU, if you go look it up.

Either way there's no need to get so defensive over the fact that many reviewers have actually called this game out on texture pop-ins and frame-rate problems. Eurogamer actually says it is second to Uncharted 2, so its not just me and my daddy that have that opinion.

Around the Network

How about we go with this. Everyone is obviously not going to agree which game is the best looking game on console because everyone has a bias. I myself think Crysis 2 is the best looking console game to date. I've been playing it and its amazing. Other believe Killzone 3 still holds the title and a select few think Uncharted 2 still has the title with probably others thinking God of War 3 has the title.

The one thing we can all agree on is Crytek has done something amazing in that their first foray into console gaming and has made a huge splash and Crysis 2 can be argued to be the best looking. CryEngine 3 really is everything they said it would be and Codename:Kingdoms is going to definitely be one of the best looking console games this gen when they get a second crack at making a console game.

The game is getting good review scores and apparently the multiplayer is surprisingly good. I'm glad I picked this game up. Probably settle at high 80s on metacritic?

just looked at the gamespot review it shows enemys banging into walls and literally running in circles WTF lots of texture shadow pop-in but it still looks very good.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

CGI-Quality said:

Why are some of you so touchy about this? Why does Crysis 2 have to be the best looking console game for some?

You can say the opposite. Why can't Crysis 2 be the best looking console game for some? It's only another weapon in the fanboy wars, the PS3 fans won't accept that the X360 has one, if not, the graphics behemoth, and the X360 fans "need" a game that matches or surpasses the best PS3 games. Only that.

Gamesradar gave it an 8 and says this about the graphics (sorry if this was already posted):

"Here we are. Crysis 2 has arrived at last. It’s a seminal moment – not due to some monolithic expectation of gameplay, but rather a test of hardware. Hell, the original Crysis still can’t run on the average PC and certainly couldn’t run on PS3 or 360. So how could developer Crytek pull this off? The answer is in CryEngine 3. Whatever they did to optimize the code, it worked. Crysis 2 does run on consoles, and it does so beautifully. We’re calling it now: Crysis 2 is possibly the best-looking console game ever. It’s not leaps and bounds ahead of other graphical heavyweights, but it’s probably just a bit more polished, a bit more detailed… and yet running at a very respectable framerate."

I only posted this because that seems what everyone wants to talk about.  I personally don't care about the "my graphics are better than your graphics!" argument, but let's be fair, I've seen just as many people staunchly defending PS3 exclusive titles as the best as there are those saying Crysis 2 is - so the question should be to ALL: why is it so important that game X "looks the best"?

Regardless, I've heard enough good things about the actual gameplay to persuade me to pick this up afterall!