By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 review thread

Is it me or only IGN has made a big deal between PS3 and 360?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
kowenicki said:
CGI-Quality said:

gamrreview (VGC) - 9.4/10

"Simply put, Crysis 2 is the best looking game on the Xbox 360. Period. Crysis 2 brings this dystopic New York City to life with vivid graphics. The animations, textures, lighting, and visual effects are all superb. What really jumps out at you is how incredibly detailed everything is. The grass blows in the wind as you walk over it. Every space is filled with things that add character and tell the tales of those who formerly inhabited the apartments, offices, and hallways Alcatraz is traversing. As I said before, these aren’t tiny areas, either. Each map is quite large and the level of detail never wavers".

Seems VGC agrees with me, that's it's the best looking game on the 360, but not the best looking game on consoles.

Bit of a leap you made there... but probably correct.

What matters, if these things matter at all, is if it is the best looking FPS on consoles.... seems like it might be.

I just think it's probably the best looking 360 game as well as the best looking mutliplatform game. But with big time reviews not giving it the complete win, the edge is still heavily in Killzone 3's favor. Just from observation, not trying to start a war here, I promised I'd call it like I saw it!

The question is, does it need the complete win.  In other words, Crytek has produced a game that either matches or nearly matches the PS3 best on both consoles.  Weather it takes the crown really doesn't matter because the accomplishment of getting both version right is more than enough proof that it's the developers and not the hardware.  Also the fact that Crysis does everything in realtime suggest that the tech underneath the game is on a level higher than currently out there.  In the end, only fanboys will care weather or not Crysis 2 looks better than Uncharted2 or KZ3 and really only your own opinion will really matter.

For those that have played it...how does it fair as far as a "realisitc" art style?  To me, the best looking games of the gen have been MGS4 and Gears 1, simply because they went for the most realistic look and nailed it.  I'm not saying from a technical standpoint they are better than KZ2/3, U2, Gears 2, etc., but just the combination of a "real" art style AND graphics made them look great to me.  The trailers seem to go for that realistic look to me....is that the case?

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

damefan said:
mantlepiecek said:

Oh and theres supposed to be frame-rate problems on consoles according to Digitalfoundry.

Dude give it up. Reviews are pouring in and some are saying its the best looking console game while others are saying its up there. I've played the first 45 minutes of Crysis 2, beat Killzone 3, and beat Uncharted 2 twice and so far Crysis 2 is the best looking console game I've played.

Like CGI said, there's only one mention.

I am saying the fact that crysis 2 has frame rate problems according to Digitalfoundry, and hence why they have advised to get it on the PC.

JSP 4/5 - "Crytek did it once again and has made Crysis 2 one of the best looking games on both consoles and the PC. The in-game visuals of Crysis 2 render so smoothly that it’s hard to tell the difference between the CG and the in-game cut scenes. From the details of trees, shadows, the tall skyscrapers of New York and explosions, players can expect to be stunned and amazed by the graphics. With the more than ten missions that Crysis 2 has to offer, expect to see environments that truly show the power of the Cry Engine 3. I find Crysis 2′s visuals to be superior to similar shooters like Call of Duty: Black Ops or Killzone 3. Gamers who own a 3DTV set and have the PlayStation 3 can view Crysis 2 in stereoscopic 3D!"

BitTech 7/10 - "In some ways, it’s actually quite depressing. The original Crysis was so good-looking and hard to run that it attained legendary status on the PC, yet the sequel which was supposed to move the technology on even further, ends up looking merely middle of the road on consoles."

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

gamrreview (VGC) - 9.4/10

"Simply put, Crysis 2 is the best looking game on the Xbox 360. Period. Crysis 2 brings this dystopic New York City to life with vivid graphics. The animations, textures, lighting, and visual effects are all superb. What really jumps out at you is how incredibly detailed everything is. The grass blows in the wind as you walk over it. Every space is filled with things that add character and tell the tales of those who formerly inhabited the apartments, offices, and hallways Alcatraz is traversing. As I said before, these aren’t tiny areas, either. Each map is quite large and the level of detail never wavers".

Seems VGC agrees with me, that's it's the best looking game on the 360, but not the best looking game on consoles.

VGC played the 360 version. They aren't going to compare it to PS3 games.

Game definitely looks pretty but I think there are others out there that look better. U2/FFXIII/KZ3

Will be picking this up for my PC sometime though.

mantlepiecek said:
damefan said:
mantlepiecek said:

Oh and theres supposed to be frame-rate problems on consoles according to Digitalfoundry.

Dude give it up. Reviews are pouring in and some are saying its the best looking console game while others are saying its up there. I've played the first 45 minutes of Crysis 2, beat Killzone 3, and beat Uncharted 2 twice and so far Crysis 2 is the best looking console game I've played.

Like CGI said, there's only one mention.

I am saying the fact that crysis 2 has frame rate problems according to Digitalfoundry, and hence why they have advised to get it on the PC.

No there are at least 2 mentions of it being the best and plenty of other mentions of it being with the best. Is CGI your dad? CGI is not the end all be all of what is the best looking game out there, but if you think he is then more power to you.

G4TV 4/5

Daily Joypad 5/5

CVG 9.1/10 - "The best looking FPS ever"