By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Carmack: "PS3 Better Than Anything... Except 360"

Moonhero said:

I favor the PS3... And that's the version of the game I'm gonna be grabbin'

Thankyou for that extremely useful bit of information.

Around the Network
hikaruchan said:
Booh! said:
snfr said:

So the PS3 version of Rage will look inferior, I'm calling it!

Anyway, nothing against his opinion. I guess many developers favour one console, and there is nothing wrong with it.
Although I think he should have given a reason why he prefers the 360...

He gave it a few days ago, he prefers DirectX over anything else.

I thought he preferred OPEN GL

Get with the times.

Not a surprise really, and I don't mean that negatively.  Carmack - quite correctly in my opionion - has always been a strong advocate of hardware beind designed for developers and that the cost of development has to be reduced for big games.

While I personally slightly favour the PS3 as a consumer (mainly preferring a combi Hd console and BR player although I do like my 360 slim also) as a developer I would undoubtably prefer the efforts MS made to make the 360 easy to program for and to work closely with developers.

They did a good job there - and one that will probably ensure Sony develop the PS4 with a lot more input from developers and with more of an eye to making it cheaper to develop for.  This is what competition is supposed to be about from a consumer perspective, as those kinds of advancement are to our benefit.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

what i like, or rather find funny about all of this is all three of the home consoles are  risc based processors more specifically power family processors, all very closely related.. its strange to think such a break occurred form desktops with x86 to consoles with risc/power. even more astonishing when you consider the last major PC risc/power vendor had just announced it was dropping them for x86 right before this gen. not to say risc/power is not used, its used widle in  embedded devises, cars, servers,  ect just not in home computers where gaming grew up, and not really in consoles until the gamecube which used a custom  74xx 7XX powerpc family chip. its really got to be a major victory for the RISC/power architecture. and considering risc/arms are taking over cell phones maybe this will lead to the end of x86 sometime in the future.. not any time soon, but eventually

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

I always tought developers prefer 360 over PS3 anyways as the 360 is so much easier to work with. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Man, I read this on N4G and was hoping nobody posted it here (because I know what a thread like this can end up like), but it is just his opinion (and he means it in terms of efficiency, not power). In fact, he's admitted that the PS3 has "more peak power" than the 360, but that in the end, the 360 will have it's power better exploited. Nothing many other devs haven't already said.

Strange how that only ever seems to really become an issue when it's the 360 being lauded by a developer and not the PS3 though isn't it.  He also was pretty exact on his reasoning, he thinks the 360 is the better console for everything except storage in terms of the work he is doing.  Right or wrong, it's his opinion and doesn't make it any less valid than the Sony developers who frequently quote opinion as fact yet get worshipped so frequently on here.  I guess my point is, nothing should be prevented from posting just because some of the userbase cannot behave (unless of course it is deliberately misleading/false).

I'm quite happy to admit I think the PS3 is the better hardware by the way, I just prefer the 360 userbase and experience for my gaming needs, plus being a FPS fan doesn't hurt as a 360 gamer.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

LMAO!

OT: Its like kojima or nomura saying "I prefer the ps3 over 360"......its just a preference for christ sake.

slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:

Man, I read this on N4G and was hoping nobody posted it here (because I know what a thread like this can end up like), but it is just his opinion (and he means it in terms of efficiency, not power). In fact, he's admitted that the PS3 has "more peak power" than the 360, but that in the end, the 360 will have it's power better exploited. Nothing many other devs haven't already said.

Strange how that only ever seems to really become an issue when it's the 360 being lauded by a developer and not the PS3 though isn't it.  He also was pretty exact on his reasoning, he thinks the 360 is the better console for everything except storage in terms of the work he is doing.  Right or wrong, it's his opinion and doesn't make it any less valid than the Sony developers who frequently quote opinion as fact yet get worshipped so frequently on here.  I guess my point is, nothing should be prevented from posting just because some of the userbase cannot behave (unless of course it is deliberately misleading/false).

I'm quite happy to admit I think the PS3 is the better hardware by the way, I just prefer the 360 userbase and experience for my gaming needs, plus being a FPS fan doesn't hurt as a 360 gamer.

no he doesn't.....

its his opinion, i dont see why its getting so much publicity.  he is free to like whatever he wishes.  im sure some of his fellow developers feel the exact same way with the wii or the ps3.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

cloud1161 said:

its his opinion, i dont see why its getting so much publicity.  he is free to like whatever he wishes.  im sure some of his fellow developers feel the exact same way with the wii or the ps3.

LOL cause some ppl gets a funny idea that if a developer prefers X console over Y console it must mean X console is teh "SUPER UBER POWERFUL MACHINE" out of the rest.