By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Carmack: "PS3 Better Than Anything... Except 360"

Carmack is right, it's a good machine with a lot of good performance which is easier to extract. I hope this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone given the fact we're here in 2011 and the Xbox 360 has kept up it's end of the multiplatform spectrum more than adequately.

Tease.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
hikaruchan said:
Booh! said:
snfr said:

So the PS3 version of Rage will look inferior, I'm calling it!

Anyway, nothing against his opinion. I guess many developers favour one console, and there is nothing wrong with it.
Although I think he should have given a reason why he prefers the 360...

He gave it a few days ago, he prefers DirectX over anything else.

I thought he preferred OPEN GL

He changed after DirectX 10.

Unfortunately SONY can only realistically use OpenGL with PlayStation or some other proprietary API since MS entered the Console Market.    

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

goforgold said:
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:

Man, I read this on N4G and was hoping nobody posted it here (because I know what a thread like this can end up like), but it is just his opinion (and he means it in terms of efficiency, not power). In fact, he's admitted that the PS3 has "more peak power" than the 360, but that in the end, the 360 will have it's power better exploited. Nothing many other devs haven't already said.

Strange how that only ever seems to really become an issue when it's the 360 being lauded by a developer and not the PS3 though isn't it.  He also was pretty exact on his reasoning, he thinks the 360 is the better console for everything except storage in terms of the work he is doing.  Right or wrong, it's his opinion and doesn't make it any less valid than the Sony developers who frequently quote opinion as fact yet get worshipped so frequently on here.  I guess my point is, nothing should be prevented from posting just because some of the userbase cannot behave (unless of course it is deliberately misleading/false).

I'm quite happy to admit I think the PS3 is the better hardware by the way, I just prefer the 360 userbase and experience for my gaming needs, plus being a FPS fan doesn't hurt as a 360 gamer.

no he doesn't.....

???

Interesting comment. I wonder if it will be reflected in any differences between rage on ps3 and 360...i.e., 360 version being better looking and running more smoothly than the ps3 version...?

i dont care rage is lame anyways and ofcourse someone would rather make a game on the 360 cause its easier due to 360's lack of graphics

Around the Network
hikaruchan said:
goforgold said:
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:

Man, I read this on N4G and was hoping nobody posted it here (because I know what a thread like this can end up like), but it is just his opinion (and he means it in terms of efficiency, not power). In fact, he's admitted that the PS3 has "more peak power" than the 360, but that in the end, the 360 will have it's power better exploited. Nothing many other devs haven't already said.

Strange how that only ever seems to really become an issue when it's the 360 being lauded by a developer and not the PS3 though isn't it.  He also was pretty exact on his reasoning, he thinks the 360 is the better console for everything except storage in terms of the work he is doing.  Right or wrong, it's his opinion and doesn't make it any less valid than the Sony developers who frequently quote opinion as fact yet get worshipped so frequently on here.  I guess my point is, nothing should be prevented from posting just because some of the userbase cannot behave (unless of course it is deliberately misleading/false).

I'm quite happy to admit I think the PS3 is the better hardware by the way, I just prefer the 360 userbase and experience for my gaming needs, plus being a FPS fan doesn't hurt as a 360 gamer.

no he doesn't.....

???

having architecture closer to the PC making it easier to developer for =/= better than the ps3 in every way except storage, and that's not an opinion.

John knows this because it's what he said, don't know what you guys are reading.

goforgold said:
hikaruchan said:

???

having architecture closer to the PC making it easier to developer for =/= better than the ps3 in every way except storage, and that's not an opinion.

John knows this because it's what he said, don't know what you guys are reading.

Sorry dude I thought you were saying carmack was not saying he preferred the 360 hardware because of it's close links to PC Architecture  

he also prefered the SEGA DREAMCAST for the same resion.

I remeber when I used to be like this. LOL.

I recently realised after playing GT5 and Killzone 3, that there is really nothing in it. If any of you bothered to actually play all the games you would realise both the 360 and PS3 are near identical. Fanboys on either side ( myslef included in the past ) just see more rose tinted for 1 side.

Ive played so many hours on Reach I couldnt care for any other graphics on that game. The game has me hooked. For GMEPLAY reasons.

hikaruchan said:
goforgold said:
hikaruchan said:

???

Sorry dude I thought you were saying carmack was not saying he preferred the 360 hardware because of it's close links to PC Architecture  

he also prefered the SEGA DREAMCAST for the same resion.

you sir are correct

^^^^ what changed your mind??? you used to be hardcore 360 guy. playing on my friends 360 ive come to the same conclusion. I still think it sucks MS charges for online play, but whatcha gonna do???

@pokemanking  dont troll so hard, lets keep this civil