By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Carmack: "PS3 Better Than Anything... Except 360"

Nowgamer

id Software's legendary programmer John Carmack has lauded the current-gen consoles, but admits he favours Microsoft's hardware

Rage is the next game from id Software, set to hit PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 with an impressive new engine, id Tech 5, programmed by industry veteran Carmack.

"The PS3 is still far and away better than anything else that’s ever been made... except maybe the 360," Carmack says in the new issue of games™. "It’s a great time to be a developer," he added. "It’s not like working with the Sega Saturn or the PS2, where these are really kind of quirky, cranky, architectures that are not, well, architected, I would say."

Despite dropping such a bombshell, Carmack added that his favouritism wasn't to the detriment of the PS3. “Because I do favour the 360, it doesn’t mean I have anything all that negative to say about the PS3,” he said.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5336/carmack-ps3-better-than-anything-except-360

Around the Network

So the PS3 version of Rage will look inferior, I'm calling it!

Anyway, nothing against his opinion. I guess many developers favour one console, and there is nothing wrong with it.
Although I think he should have given a reason why he prefers the 360...

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

snfr said:

Anyway, nothing against his opinion. I guess many developers favour one console, and there is nothing wrong with it.

He gave it a few days ago, he prefers DirectX over anything else.

I favor the PS3... And that's the version of the game I'm gonna be grabbin'

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

360 may be easier to develop for, but PS3 is the graphics king of this console generation ( Uncharted 2, Killzone 3 and GoW III ).

Around the Network
Booh! said:
snfr said:

B b but Camark always prefered OpenGL over DirectX.

What happened with him???

Note that he said "except maybe the 360".

So its not Far better, Just better then 360?

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

ethomaz said:
Booh! said:
snfr said:

B b but Camark always prefered OpenGL over DirectX.

What happened with him???

Directx evolved, OpenGL didn't.

he probably don't know how to develop games well on PS3 architecture, that's what most developers prefer Xbox360 too, so its nothing wrong from why they prefer Xbox360...