By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What makes Donkey Kong Country for the Wii special?

^^^ not neccarsily there were genres that exist now that were not prevelant on consoles in the 16 bit era days. how much FPSs were on SNES/GENs??? and your KZs and CODs play way differently than the Dooms of old. How much Tekkens VFs were in the 16 bit era??? None they were not out. how about 3d platformers??? none they weren invented. My point is that 2d platforms have been around since day 1. and ive played alot, so if im going to cough up 50 bucks it better do something different or be the best 2d platformer game i have ever played. IMHO DKC is neither, so ill wait 

Around the Network
oniyide said:

^^^ not neccarsily there were genres that exist now that were not prevelant on consoles in the 16 bit era days. how much FPSs were on SNES/GENs??? and your KZs and CODs play way differently than the Dooms of old. How much Tekkens VFs were in the 16 bit era??? None they were not out. how about 3d platformers??? none they weren invented. My point is that 2d platforms have been around since day 1. and ive played alot, so if im going to cough up 50 bucks it better do something different or be the best 2d platformer game i have ever played. IMHO DKC is neither, so ill wait 

I disagree with all of this post :)

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

So pay better prices because it's newer genres? I hope you never payed full price for an RPG. And don't lie that any are really new.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Metallicube said:

It's a type of game you really don't see much anymore. Has a lot of fast paced action and replay value, controls are really solid, multiplayer is really fun, great atmosphere and music. Has a challenge to it that makes you want to overcome it and keep playing, and gives you a nice sense of accomplishment because of it that many games today just don't give you (which is why the cop out achievement/trophy system exists on the HD consoles, to try and manufacture a cheap sense of accomplishment that the game cannot otherwise give).

Has a lot of things going for it really. But overall it's just a lot of fun to play.. That's all ya need really, there's not much else to it really.. 2D platformers are the best genre out there IMO, and this is just 2D platforming at its finest, coming out at a time when the genre was near dead. That's pretty impressive.

Plus, it is the successor of a majorly awesome series, so it has a huge nostalgia factor for people.

You forgot to say it has the best level design and art ever to be seen in a platformer (maybe SMG2 is better). I was gonna post my reasons why this game is so amazing, but its easier to quote you. But your wrong on the bolded part

Joelcool7 said:

What makes DKC:R stand out?

Difficulty - Many think NSMB:W was too easy well DKC:R is way more difficult. I still haven't beaten the game I got stuck and refuse to use the Super Guide. Its definatly a challenge and I like that and so do many others.

Really? Im on 2-6 and im only 2:10 hours into it. I was hoping for a better challenge, I hope it gest harder further on.

Graphic's - The art style of the game is remiscent of DKC 1,2,3 and brings back memories. It looks far more beautiful then the older ones and really takes you back to the peak of the SNES. You litterly feel like your playing a new SNES game rather then a Wii title.

Yes, the most beutiful game on Wii (after SMG2). Amazing artstyle in the background and levels look amazing overall.

Gameplay - Their are very few 2D platformers. This Gen i know of three major ones I enjoyed NewSuperMarioBros, Kirby:EpicYarn and Sonic Colours. However Colours uses 3D elements so maybe it doesn't count. DKC:R is one of the best platformers made to date, and if you like Platformers then its a must.

When i bought the game, i feared it was similar to NSMBWii, im glad i was wrong, as i hated the gameplay and jump mechanics in that game. And yes, it is a best platfirmer outthere. At least the best2D platforer.

In the end as a fan of the origional series I loved DKC:R. I was alittle dissapointed that their weren't more animal buddies but I found myself forgetting that while I was having so much fun playing DKC:R.

As for the price, what the heck 49.99$ is too much for you? Seriously one of the best games for the Wii to date and your not willing to spend the default price for Wii software? Buying used in my opinion is almost as bad as piracy. Your money doesn't reach the developers or publishers it all goes straight into the retailers pocket. Not to mention you usually pay at max 10$ less for a used copy, EBGames likes to price used games like 2$-10$ cheaper.

Well, I only had 30 Euros with me, so I had to improvise, It was either Metroid or Donkey Cong, Im glad i made a good choice

I suggest you buy it new. But I guess if your a cheap skate then well your not worthy of the game. Nintendo isn't going to cut the games price probably until their next gen system launches next year. Even then I bet Nintendo will try to keep software prices as high as possible meaning a substantial price cut just won't happen anytime soon.

Around the Network

mostly the Nostalgia... and its a new 2D game

oniyide said:

^^^ 15 bucks would be great, but DK is too large to fit on WiiWare. IMHO I would pay 30 35 bucks max and i dont know why people think just cause a game is on DL service and is cheap, means its bad, if your judging it just on WiiWare then yeah I can see how people would get that impression. But even then WiiWare has ok stuff, sometimes. Braid, Rocket Knight, Trine, Sonic 4 are all good games that dont cost 50 or more IMO

Umm you do realize that by the time all of Sonic 4 has been released online that it will cost as much if not more then a full priced retail game? Sonic 4 in its present form is not a whole game it is a single episode in a game. I agree their are several WiiWare games that are considered good, but in all honesty DKC:R blows them out of the water. Theirs a difference in quality between a cheap WiiWare title and a full blown retail one.

oniyide said:

FYI i dont want 2d platformers to end, i just refuse to pay premium price for what is essential the same kind of game ive been playing since the 16 bit era with prettier graphics. 

That can be read two ways, one that DKC:R has prettier graphics then SNES games or that SNES games had prettier graphics. I'll just assume your sane. Fact is yes DKC:R is a true sequel to the DKC titles that are on SNES, however the elements of gameplay have been advanced.

Also that argument could be used for all sorts of genre's. Why buy Call Of Duty Black Ops when Medal Of Honour offered the same experiance on PSOne. Or how about StarCraft 2, why buy it when WarCraft launched in 94. Or even StarCraft in 97. Or how about why buy any puzzle game when Tetris Came out over a decade ago. Why buy the new Pokemon when Red and Blue are good enough and from 95.

Heck why buy consoles, NES has been playing games since 83. Who needs disks or Bluray. X-Box could handle every genre of gaming that 360 has and it had Live so why bother getting a 360?

Fact is new products are not the same as old products. Even if they are from the same genre.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

oniyide said:

The FPS genre has its roots in the very early 1990's, which would not be too far removed from the peak 2D platform era. The logic that 2D platformers are essentially the same as they were back then can quite easily be applied to FPS (and many other genres) as well, to refute this would be incredibly hypocritical. Essentially, you still point and shoot. The game mechanic at its most basic level is therefore identical, but advances in technology have resulted in the capability for developers to do more.

You couldn't get the Omaha beach landing from Medal of Honor (which to me was the peak of the FPS genre) in the early days of FPS, nor could some of the stuff from modern FPS be done back then. Much like DKC on the SNES couldn't handle 3D backgrounds interacting with the the 2D plane and providing multiple obstacles as DKCR utilises.

When you think about it, there are a lot of games that were around in the SNES era that could have the same accusation leveled at them today. Street Fighter II was on the SNES, look at that and Street Fighter IV side by side and you'll struggle to see anything but aesthetic differences, as much as that suggestion would upset hardcore Street Fighter fans who will go into a rant about the vast differences of the two (much like Pokemon fans would if you told them they were buying the same game over and over again). Final Fantasy was around in the SNES era, and it's still spiky haired emo teens trying to save the world, yet any time Final Fantasy is criticised for its sameness on this website, you end up with a 500 post thread.

Link and Mario are still trying to save their respective princesses, ignoring the vast differences in gameplay that the move to 3D brought to both franchises. Football fans are still trying to score goals in FIFA. Sonic is still running around like a maniac. Every time a new GTA comes out the first thing people seem to do is go on a rampage in the shiny new city. I could keep going here, but all of these games at their most basic level remain the same, but advances in technology allow more scope that brings new life to old ideas, whilst at the same time giving the opportunity to reinvigorate series with new ideas thanks to that more advanced technology.

When you consider all of that, focusing that argument on one genre is incredibly disingenuous.

VGChartz

It has already been said however, the game get better and better as you play it. It has a lot of rewarding challenges that will keep you playing for weeks and months, its very difficult to find a game with so much value. And, since the OP mentioned it, I don't like Epic Yarn at all.

It is VERY well done, it is my third favourite DKC title.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.