By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What makes Donkey Kong Country for the Wii special?

oniyide said:

^^^ how is it being devalued??? The Wii gets a bunch of 2d platformers. So do PSN/LIVe just because there on the "dirty" DL service there not good??? BS, there are some good games on those services. Rocket Knight, Trine, Sonic4, Braid, Limbo, Mega Man just to name a few, and more are on the way. There is more 2d platformers released this gen than there was last gen, so i dont see the problem. You want it to be like the 16bit era where there was nothing but ripoff animal mascots??? Those days wont be returning and personally im happy for that

How are they being devalued?  Because there are now a lot of people who think that if it is a 2-D game, it should only be:

A) A portable or downloadable title

and

B) Cheap

I've seen plenty of people that believe these games to be inherently inferior to 3-D games.

It has nothing to do with quality.  I never said anything about quality.  There are plenty of great 2-D games.  What I don't like is publishers, developers, and gamers acting like these games are not as good just because they are 2-D.

Where did I ever say that I want a return to all the mascot games?  Why are you trying to put words in my mouth?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
theRepublic said:

It is really sad that 2-D games are being devalued just because they are 2-D.  The problem starts right at the top, too.  It is an attitude that comes straight down from developers and publishers.  Even with the success of some recent retail 2-D games on the Wii, I'm not too hopeful that it is going to change anytime soon.

When have I devalued anything due to it just being in 2D?  I don't consider it that.  I would say LBP2 impressess me a lot, and has a specialness to it.  Besides the fact it is over the top in user generated content, I found the full game to come with it, not feel cookie cutter at all, eventhough it was built with a level editor that people have.  I actually found the game gave me a lot of variety and stuff I never saw before in a game that was a platformer.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but my reply was not directed at your opening post.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

^^^ i was just asking a question. I dont think that they should all be on portables, but i do think they should be cheap because... they are cheap to make. its as simple as that I dont think it has anything to do with quality I dont think 3d games are better but they are more expensive to make thats a fact. Unless there handdrawn then that could get expensive. Put it this way. Would you pay the same price for a SD TV today as you would ten years ago??? or as much as you would pay for an HD TV??? hell no you wouldnt, as technology progresses it becomes easier to make things. Why is NSMBWii the same price as Galaxy2?? Because Ninty knows people will pay that much for the game and more power to them. I know what your gonna say "it doesnt matter how much it cost to make as long as its fun" and thats ok to feel like that. but those "devalued" 15 dollar games provide me with just as much fun as the games of old for a fraction of the price and i dont feel raped either.

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

^^^ i was just asking a question. I dont think that they should all be on portables, but i do think they should be cheap because... they are cheap to make. its as simple as that I dont think it has anything to do with quality I dont think 3d games are better but they are more expensive to make thats a fact. Unless there handdrawn then that could get expensive. Put it this way. Would you pay the same price for a SD TV today as you would ten years ago??? or as much as you would pay for an HD TV??? hell no you wouldnt, as technology progresses it becomes easier to make things. Why is NSMBWii the same price as Galaxy2?? Because Ninty knows people will pay that much for the game and more power to them. I know what your gonna say "it doesnt matter how much it cost to make as long as its fun" and thats ok to feel like that. but those "devalued" 15 dollar games provide me with just as much fun as the games of old for a fraction of the price and i dont feel raped either.

Your analogy is terrible, because it's about technology. Video games are entertainment though.

A fitting analogy would be you going to a theater and deciding which movie you are going to watch. Let's say there's a new Adam Sandler film and a new James Cameron movie, a ticket for either one of these two costs $10. You decide to watch the James Cameron movie based on the fact that it did cost more to make and wonder why people are stupid enough to pay $10 to see a comedy that was produced at the fraction of the cost of the James Cameron movie. Don't these people know that more expensive movies are better movies by default?

I don't have anything to add at this point in time, so I will just agree with Rol here.

Now Playing

@rolstoppable there you go only reading part of people's post. yes I have played Braid and Trine multiple times. Braid in particular as soon as i started playing it sucked me in. I cant say the same for DKCR. Thats my point, the game just didnt grab me in that first level, it didnt scream "buy me" Dont have a big problem with DKC or Mario i just dont care for them as much as the Ninty fans on this site seem to do. Where did i say i ididnt like the game??? Because im not willing to shell out money for it day one??  What makes you not like HD games?? Its funny how just cause you like something it has to be good but anyone who has a differing opinion is dead wrong. gimme a break, you come right to the rescue to save your precious Ninty game like you gave birth to it or something PLEASE. I think the game is not worth the money to ME. If youE were waiting for half your life or whatever then enjoy it. Dont let me stop your enjoyment, ill just wait for a price to come down to a level im willing to pay for. 

your movie analogy is just as flawed. and missing the point. when i look at NSMBWii and Galaxy2 and see the price tag is the same im not think i wonder which is better im thinking someone is being freaking greedy and i try my best not to support that vice

Around the Network
oniyide said:

@rolstoppable there you go only reading part of people's post. yes I have played Braid and Trine multiple times. Braid in particular as soon as i started playing it sucked me in. I cant say the same for DKCR. Thats my point, the game just didnt grab me in that first level, it didnt scream "buy me" Dont have a big problem with DKC or Mario i just dont care for them as much as the Ninty fans on this site seem to do. Where did i say i ididnt like the game??? Because im not willing to shell out money for it day one??  What makes you not like HD games?? Its funny how just cause you like something it has to be good but anyone who has a differing opinion is dead wrong. gimme a break, you come right to the rescue to save your precious Ninty game like you gave birth to it or something PLEASE. I think the game is not worth the money to ME. If youE were waiting for half your life or whatever then enjoy it. Dont let me stop your enjoyment, ill just wait for a price to come down to a level im willing to pay for. 

your movie analogy is just as flawed. and missing the point. when i look at NSMBWii and Galaxy2 and see the price tag is the same im not think i wonder which is better im thinking someone is being freaking greedy and i try my best not to support that vice

Ultimantly that's your choice and not my place to say, but If you won't support 2D platformers then you don't have the right to critisize on the sales and development of 2D platformers

oniyide said:

...when i look at NSMBWii and Galaxy2 and see the price tag is the same im not think i wonder which is better im thinking someone is being freaking greedy and i try my best not to support that vice

There it is.  This is exactly what I am talking about.  Do you realize that there are many people who prefer 2-D Mario to 3-D Mario?  You can't just say one is better than the other.

While there is some correlation between the cost of a good and its consumer price, what is far more important is what people will pay.  Clearly, a lot of people have paid for NSMB Wii.

Rol's movie analogy is quite apt and on point, by the way.

Now Playing

@rolstoppable  are video games not technology as well? and if you charge much more for something that didnt cost nearly as much as the asking price is that not greedy?? if you dont think so, thats you. Nothing you say will change that. 

@midorigreen  Braid, Rocket Knight, Sonic 4, Sonic Rush, Hammerin Hero, LBP PSP, LBP1&2, Muramasa (if that counts) those are all 2d platformers off the top of my head that i have purchased. So yeah i support 2d platformers. They might not be as "great" as the Marios and DKs but they suit me just fine

I am quite tired to Oniyide to say that 2D games are cheaper to make.

I don't think NSMBWii or DKC:R were that cheap to do, both mobilise one full team for 2 years in the making. All the models were created in 3D in these games as for the 3D games and 2D platform games (in the case of Nintendo) require a big amount of work to tweak the platform position and size, enemy flow and so on. For example once you look about the super skill video on NSMBWii you realize that everything in every level are very precisely place, there are no random for anything.

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

@theRepublic  I know how much NSMBWii sold and i know there are people who obviosuly have no problem paying those prices, but heres the thing Im not one of those people. Just because a bunch of other people bought those games im obligated to do so? I only care about what im willing to pay, thats the only concern i have. and FYI find my post where i said Mario Galaxy was better than NSMBWii