By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What makes Donkey Kong Country for the Wii special?

@iasta  so your saying that NSMBWii was cheaper to make than Galaxy ??? you got proof of that??? cause i would like to see a link or something. Maybe "cheap to make" is the wrong phrase. But there is no way in hell your gonna convince me that they cost the same to make. Unless i hear it from the dev's mouth

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
theRepublic said:

It is really sad that 2-D games are being devalued just because they are 2-D.  The problem starts right at the top, too.  It is an attitude that comes straight down from developers and publishers.  Even with the success of some recent retail 2-D games on the Wii, I'm not too hopeful that it is going to change anytime soon.

When have I devalued anything due to it just being in 2D?  I don't consider it that.  I would say LBP2 impressess me a lot, and has a specialness to it.  Besides the fact it is over the top in user generated content, I found the full game to come with it, not feel cookie cutter at all, eventhough it was built with a level editor that people have.  I actually found the game gave me a lot of variety and stuff I never saw before in a game that was a platformer.

You're a publisher or developer?

What republic meant was them not putting out too much, despite clearly showing they can still sell. Nintendo clearly still wants 3D Mario to be the big series, even though the 2D games keep outselling them (even the 25th Anniversary Collection might have sold well over 5 million if it was a full run).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@rolstoppable show me where it cost NSMBWii that much to make??? cause if thats the case then there losing a LOT of money on the Galaxy games. There is no way those two cost the same to make. the burden of proof is on you to prove otherwise. I hate Nintendo??? that why i purchased at least one variation of each of their portables have had a Wii for more than 2 years and made a an entrire thread praising Gamecube??? Just cause im not blindly devoted like you and the Wii isnt my fav console this gen doesnt mean I hate Ninty. You dont know me kid, dont pretend you do.

oniyide said:

@rolstoppable show me where it cost NSMBWii that much to make??? cause if thats the case then there losing a LOT of money on the Galaxy games. There is no way those two cost the same to make. the burden of proof is on you to prove otherwise. I hate Nintendo??? that why i purchased at least one variation of each of their portables have had a Wii for more than 2 years and made a an entrire thread praising Gamecube??? Just cause im not blindly devoted like you and the Wii isnt my fav console this gen doesnt mean I hate Ninty. You dont know me kid, dont pretend you do.

I agree you don't hate Nintendo. Just the arguments you make often make that confusion (that's why I stopped some arguments of my own in the past).

Also, Rol just said the game cost more than $50 to make.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

oniyide said:

@theRepublic  I know how much NSMBWii sold and i know there are people who obviosuly have no problem paying those prices, but heres the thing Im not one of those people. Just because a bunch of other people bought those games im obligated to do so? I only care about what im willing to pay, thats the only concern i have. and FYI find my post where i said Mario Galaxy was better than NSMBWii

I never said you had to buy the game.  I just pointed out that economically speaking, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the price Nintendo set for the game.  Your complaints that the game is over priced are totally without merit.

You certainly implied that Galaxy is better than NSMB Wii.

oniyide said:

...when i look at NSMBWii and Galaxy2 and see the price tag is the same im not think i wonder which is better im thinking someone is being freaking greedy and i try my best not to support that vice

Or would you have me believe that you want to pay less money for the superior product?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
oni-link said:

DKC:R is special because it was made by Nintendo!!! NUFF SAID.

Wasn't Wii Music also made by Nintendo?  Do you consider that special?

Yes, and since it sold millions and seem to have been apreciated by more than the hardcore crowd it proves my point.  Just because it didn't satisfy the "core" gamers (which wasn't the games target audience anyways) didn't mean it was anyway bad.  My 7 year old son, wife, and father in-law all liked it a lot.  With that knowledge I say Wii Music is special in it's own way.  Hey at least it's original which is something other companies *cough* Sony * cough* should start looking into.

BTW anyone who thinks NSMB:Wii isn't worth $50 (it was on sale at amazon for $37 for the longest time) is surely missing the point of the game or doesn't understand Nintendo charm.  Had a blast playing that game until the end and replay value is outstanding a la gauntlet in the 80s and 90s.  It was just smashed by IGN particularly by ex-nintendo fan Matt Cassamasina.

Ummmmm, development costs of New Super Mario Brothers vs Mario Galaxy 2 are a drop in the bucket when you consider the total revenue generated by each game; one might have cost 15 million, the other 5 million; but the revenue generated by each title is in the hundreds of millions. This money is used to pay the workers and maintainers of Nintendo's manufacturing plants, the R&D, advertisement, investments, and share holders. 

The value of an item is simply what the buyer is willing to pay for it. New Super Mario Brothers seems to be better priced than Mario Galaxy 2, since demand for the game was MUCH higher.

New Super Mario Brothers sold 21.5 million copies
Mario Galaxy 2 sold 6.2 million copies

What this means is that more people thought NSMB was worth the price than those who thought Mario Galaxy 2 was. In this case, 2D games are more valuable than 3D games, even though the dev costs for the 3D games are higher.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Let's see.   It's because it's as good as any 2-D platformer ever made, and I don't give this sort of praise ever.

Why?  It has simply has the greatest level design that I have ever seen for this type of game.  I constantly asked myself how the heck they thought up all of the brilliant stuff in it.  The variety is fantastic and everytime you think that you've seen it all, the game throws you a curveball.

Now people that say that the replayability is limited haven't played the game.  After you get all of the Kong letters and puzzle pieces there is a mirror mode where you don't get the to use Diddy Kong's hover jump and you die from your first mistake.  Then there is time attack mode where you can get bronze, silver, gold, and shiny gold medals.  Try to get all of the shiny gold medals and see what happens.  As Rol stated, only a few people have done it and it's nearly impossible.  I'm going to try to do it, but don't expect to, and I can normally complete ANY game 100% with a decent struggle.  I don't know if all of my gaming efforts will ever result in me getting all of the shiny golds.  

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Not a DK fan by a mile, but played DKCR through three times in a row. Tons of replayability, good level design and challenge. Contrary to NSMB DKCR has better content imo (SMG has got the best Mario content, which should have gone to NSMB instead).