By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What makes Donkey Kong Country for the Wii special?

@lordtheknight  its even cheaper used. and you can find some copies no problem. Its a good game to be sure its just not worth it content wise for what the asking price was to me. thats why i put it on the back burner.

Around the Network
oniyide said:

@lordtheknight  its even cheaper used. and you can find some copies no problem. Its a good game to be sure its just not worth it content wise for what the asking price was to me. thats why i put it on the back burner.

That's why I stated you should get it used. That's the beauty of the used market.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

oh i will, I will, its still more than 30 used. that'll change soon

It's the only game you can fight a giant robotic chicken. Controlled by a rooster. Possessed by a living statue.

Above: still the best game of the year.

It's an incredibly well made 2D platformer with new elements added until the very end of the game. Difficulty varies according to the level of completion you want to achieve (beat the final boss, get all KONG letters, finish all K levels and 9-1, Mirror mode).

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:

It's the only game you can fight a giant robotic chicken. Controlled by a rooster. Possessed by a living statue.

This. Definitely this. :)

DKCR won praise mostly because there do not seem to be many competent 2D side-platformers outside of NSMBW for the Wii (at least, not as far as I know. Maybe Lost in Shadow, but...). Really, it's the simplicity of the control scheme that won me over. My family is not extremely coordinated, but when my parents can get to World 3 on their own, then you know that it's accessible. :D

Beuli2 said:

That should be the next "Peter vs Chicken" fight on Family Guy. I'm serious.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

that is the sequel to some of the most loved snes game. and as far as i've heard the game is very well done. this is actually one of the only games id like to play  on wii

It's a type of game you really don't see much anymore. Has a lot of fast paced action and replay value, controls are really solid, multiplayer is really fun, great atmosphere and music. Has a challenge to it that makes you want to overcome it and keep playing, and gives you a nice sense of accomplishment because of it that many games today just don't give you (which is why the cop out achievement/trophy system exists on the HD consoles, to try and manufacture a cheap sense of accomplishment that the game cannot otherwise give).

Has a lot of things going for it really. But overall it's just a lot of fun to play.. That's all ya need really, there's not much else to it really.. 2D platformers are the best genre out there IMO, and this is just 2D platforming at its finest, coming out at a time when the genre was near dead. That's pretty impressive.

Plus, it is the successor of a majorly awesome series, so it has a huge nostalgia factor for people.

What makes DKC:R stand out?

Difficulty - Many think NSMB:W was too easy well DKC:R is way more difficult. I still haven't beaten the game I got stuck and refuse to use the Super Guide. Its definatly a challenge and I like that and so do many others.

Graphic's - The art style of the game is remiscent of DKC 1,2,3 and brings back memories. It looks far more beautiful then the older ones and really takes you back to the peak of the SNES. You litterly feel like your playing a new SNES game rather then a Wii title.

Gameplay - Their are very few 2D platformers. This Gen i know of three major ones I enjoyed NewSuperMarioBros, Kirby:EpicYarn and Sonic Colours. However Colours uses 3D elements so maybe it doesn't count. DKC:R is one of the best platformers made to date, and if you like Platformers then its a must.

In the end as a fan of the origional series I loved DKC:R. I was alittle dissapointed that their weren't more animal buddies but I found myself forgetting that while I was having so much fun playing DKC:R.

As for the price, what the heck 49.99$ is too much for you? Seriously one of the best games for the Wii to date and your not willing to spend the default price for Wii software? Buying used in my opinion is almost as bad as piracy. Your money doesn't reach the developers or publishers it all goes straight into the retailers pocket. Not to mention you usually pay at max 10$ less for a used copy, EBGames likes to price used games like 2$-10$ cheaper.

I suggest you buy it new. But I guess if your a cheap skate then well your not worthy of the game. Nintendo isn't going to cut the games price probably until their next gen system launches next year. Even then I bet Nintendo will try to keep software prices as high as possible meaning a substantial price cut just won't happen anytime soon.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer