By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What makes Donkey Kong Country for the Wii special?

Its as solid as you can get for a 2Dplatformer game. I have over 100 hours on it now. It has become my #1 Wii game in terms of favorite game on the system. It puts New Super Mario Bros. Wii to shame and I loved that game too.

Around the Network

It's special because is one of the handful (and what I really mean is one hand) good 2-d action platformers.

It's not really like the SNES games at all. What sets DKC apart from most other 2D platformers is it's genious level design which is both complex and creative.

Huge number of other high quality Wii titles released close to it is what makes it special.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

@joecool7  im not willing to pay 50 dollars for a game that i know didnt cost that much to make, you can call me a cheapskate all you want. I rather put that money to something else. as for price drop. Amazon has it 10 dollars off already. you can get it used for almost 15 bucks of the original price. I dont really give a damn about the publisher, its not like Ninty is hurting for money. I dont like buying used games online cause i dont trust them. I'll wait till it drops another 10 bucks. Im patient.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:

I will say that I got to play the demo of Donkey Kong Country for the Wii today, and looks like it played like a competent platformer.  However, I don't see what is special about it.  Can someone fill me in here?  When you had DK Country on the SNES, it was the graphics that set it apart.  But now, it doesn't have that. 

It was the best 2D platformer of 2010.  The graphics are still great (though not head and shoulders above most of the competition like with the first 2 DKC games).  It also has a type of multi-player that is better than the milti-player of most 2D platformers.  Also, wasn't just the graphics back then.  It was the gameplay, the graphics and the sound.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

oniyide said:

@joecool7  im not willing to pay 50 dollars for a game that i know didnt cost that much to make, you can call me a cheapskate all you want. I rather put that money to something else. as for price drop. Amazon has it 10 dollars off already. you can get it used for almost 15 bucks of the original price. I dont really give a damn about the publisher, its not like Ninty is hurting for money. I dont like buying used games online cause i dont trust them. I'll wait till it drops another 10 bucks. Im patient.

Exactly, 2D games cost less money/effort, so Nintendo should just sell it for 15$, or better, just trow it at the Wiiware, that's a worthy end for those nasty 2D platformers!

Above: still the best game of the year.

^^^ 15 bucks would be great, but DK is too large to fit on WiiWare. IMHO I would pay 30 35 bucks max and i dont know why people think just cause a game is on DL service and is cheap, means its bad, if your judging it just on WiiWare then yeah I can see how people would get that impression. But even then WiiWare has ok stuff, sometimes. Braid, Rocket Knight, Trine, Sonic 4 are all good games that dont cost 50 or more IMO

FYI i dont want 2d platformers to end, i just refuse to pay premium price for what is essential the same kind of game ive been playing since the 16 bit era with prettier graphics. 

oniyide said:

FYI i dont want 2d platformers to end, i just refuse to pay premium price for what is essential the same kind of game ive been playing since the 16 bit era with prettier graphics. 

You can say the same about every other genre out there.

Above: still the best game of the year.