By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

360 slows way down on an off year, PS3 takes its momentum from the price drops and christmas and couples it with the release of its big exclusives and has a big year that has a big bang next christmas with another price drop and the release of certain bundles (FFXIII or GT5)

Around the Network
rukusa said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

No, its just that you don't see consoles suddenly coming to life because of a few games, it takes a wealth of software that PS3 just doesn't have to reach the mass market, the games mentioned as "saving the PS3" only sell to a very small group, to reach the level of PS1 and PS2 you need games that won't be on the PS3

I was inclined to post this yesterday, but had to post pone my reply till today:

First, When did I say that? Ironically alot of people believe here that their 'favourite' console was brought to life by a single game (system seller) among other things.

Second, the 360 didn't have a wealth of games at the beginning of its life either. The fewer games back then that came month after month untill Gears of War didnt exactly make fantastic aggresive share stealing sales either.

Third, no one is saying it will reach the height of the PS PS2 figures. Right now, alot of things are very blurry.

Youre make an extremely flawed move saying: to reach the level of PS1 and PS2 you need games that won't be on the PS3.

Thats something don't even know as of yet, we're 1 year into the PS3's life time. You have no clear vision of what the newer games that are coming for the PS3 will bring in, I dare to bet you have little knowledge about what games are being developed on the PStripple that are yet to be unveiled.

Because the PS3 doesnt have the large library the 360 doesn't mean it won't reach an equally great catalogues. But thats fine, you probably feel the 360 or Wii games appeal more to your liking.

But speaking for the general consumer market isn't smart.

I don't need to speak for them, they've spoken for over a year, and what they've said is Wii

Wii has the games that will lift it above PS2 range

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
rukusa said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

No, its just that you don't see consoles suddenly coming to life because of a few games, it takes a wealth of software that PS3 just doesn't have to reach the mass market, the games mentioned as "saving the PS3" only sell to a very small group, to reach the level of PS1 and PS2 you need games that won't be on the PS3

I was inclined to post this yesterday, but had to post pone my reply till today:

First, When did I say that? Ironically alot of people believe here that their 'favourite' console was brought to life by a single game (system seller) among other things.

Second, the 360 didn't have a wealth of games at the beginning of its life either. The fewer games back then that came month after month untill Gears of War didnt exactly make fantastic aggresive share stealing sales either.

Third, no one is saying it will reach the height of the PS PS2 figures. Right now, alot of things are very blurry.

Youre make an extremely flawed move saying: to reach the level of PS1 and PS2 you need games that won't be on the PS3.

Thats something don't even know as of yet, we're 1 year into the PS3's life time. You have no clear vision of what the newer games that are coming for the PS3 will bring in, I dare to bet you have little knowledge about what games are being developed on the PStripple that are yet to be unveiled.

Because the PS3 doesnt have the large library the 360 doesn't mean it won't reach an equally great catalogues. But thats fine, you probably feel the 360 or Wii games appeal more to your liking.

But speaking for the general consumer market isn't smart.

I don't need to speak for them, they've spoken for over a year, and what they've said is Wii

Wii has the games that will lift it above PS2 range

Then don't, there are still more consumers too come. You are still making the same assumption.

I definitely see the Wii reach a user base of 80 million at least.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

CrazzyMan said:
@Mnementh:

By the way, do you realize, that for Wii to reach 50% market-share in 2008 it will have to:
1) sell aditional 6 mln. Wii.
2) sell same as ps3+x360 WW sales every week.
3) there is no way for wii to reach 45-50 mln. in 2008. It`s impossible because of shortages or just little demand.

Look at my predictions, I see Wii at 50% market-share at the end of 2008. But I admit, it will be close. Possibly it will not be enough to reach the 50% at the end of 2008. But leo-j and jhlennon both stated, Wii will NEVER reach 50% market-share.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Renar said:
As for the 50%, Wii will reach it in Aug 08, (N fanboys rejoice) and lose it in Dec (MS/S say 'I told you so'). Since Wii will be like this year and not drop off as much in the main part of the year, but not sell as much as MS and Sony during holidays 08.

There's a great possibility, that it can happen. This year also the combined sales of PS3 and X360 overtake the Wii sales before christmas. But I'm sure, Nintendo takes back the 50% market-share in the beginning of 2009 and will never fall under this mark this generation again.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

NINTENDOMINATION, YOU WORTHLESS DOGS.

CrazzyMan said:
PS3 will have EVERYTHING to reach the mass market by the end of 2008.

It already has BEST:
3rd person action game.
driving game.
slasher beat`em up.
HD 3d platformer.

And ps3 only 1 year on the market. In 2008 it will have BEST games in every GENRE.

YOU may THINK, that PS3 won`t deliver, BUT it WILL.
Almost every game on PS3 is an EXPERIENCE.
Ratchet, Uncharted, HS, GT5:P, Warhawk - it`s all about EXPERIENCE.

Avinash_Tyagi, what YOU gonna do, IF PS3 WILL repeat ps2 SUCCESS since 2008? WHAT if PS3 will sell 15 mln.? What will be your reaction?

You're wrong. Sorry, chum. PS3 will not be the PS2. With you being in denial, I can understand your frustration. Take off your rose colored glasses.

The BuShA owns all!

My new years predictions.

Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08.
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
GTA4 X360 will outsell the PS3 version by at least 500k in first month sales in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.

Assuming production on the Wii is increased by 700k for total of 2.5m a month (hopefully by May).
Wii - 50m
The X360 will have its best sales in the US, but suck in Euro & Japan. Duh!
X360 - 27m
The PS3 will gain on the X360 in the US & Others big time.
PS3 - 22m

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

wii is pretty easy to predict...demand is there...it's just about predicting Nintendo's production ramp-up

if they don't change it at all, then they'll hit 40.5mil by 12/31/08

so that is your minimum baseline

adjust upward if u think they will increase production

so, if we are assuming they continue to sell out (thus 40.5mil minimum), then we can predict they will follow last year's path and raise the production around june 1, to say 2.5mil...then again around nov 1 to 3mil

so 6*1.8 + 5*2.5 + 2*3 = 29.3mil + 19.2mil = 48.5mil

if nintendo announces more aggressive production increases during the year, then simply adjust the numbers accordingly...figure roughly 5 months to raise production from decision point...

so it'll be easy to adjust predictions this year as we get the new info

i'll go ahead and say that nintendo will slightly beat that above schedule to get the extra 1.5mil consoles shipped and sold to hit the 50mil ww mark by 12/31/08...

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
revolutions said:
Assuming production on the Wii is increased by 700k for total of 2.5m a month (hopefully by May).
Wii - 50m

your math is off

19.2mil + 1.8*4 + 2.5 * 8 = 46.4mil

they'll have to either increase to above 2.5mil/month or do a 2nd increase to 3mil/month to hit 50mil...i think they will get there, but they won't using your assumption

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp